• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

maybe i'm just biased but something seems fishy to me about the Edwards criticisms.  I'm wondering if 'committment to winning' and 'professionalism' are somehow code for something else.  

I'd try to trade up for Deni but not sure what we'd give up.  I'd love to have Edwards but Deni seems like he checks more boxes for us.   

It's code for a "me first" shooter.

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

It's code for a "me first" shooter.

We could use that. I think most teams could use at least one of these, coming off the bench at least. 

I think we would be a great spot for him to land. Come in as the 7th or 8th man so there isn't the pressure or expectation to be "the man." But, there is potential and opportunity to grow into a 6th man or starter. If that happens, we scored a great player, and it's easier to trade one of our other players in a year or two if we want.

I hope these questions are smoke screens created to drop his value so the Hawks have a chance at getting him. I really think he is the best player for us in this draft. Not a guaranteed great player, but a potentially great player. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Maxey is a system player to me. He is one of those guys who would flourish with Luka Doncic but I am not sure he would ever be a good lead PG. While guys like him eventually flourish in the NBA, many bust when they land in the wrong situations 

I think he'd look pretty good running the 2nd unit with Huerter since they can both handle the ball a little bit...I see him being a better pro than college player..

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member

Avdija on his 3-point shooting:

“I think a lot of guys who are not in the team or not in basketball don’t understand some things about the shot. The shot is not always about your technique. I think my technique is good. I just think that people don’t see the surroundings, so, people forget that I was young. I was going through a team with a lot of experience, with a lot of pressure, with a lot of fans every night. I played several kinds of minutes. Sometimes less, sometimes more, sometimes there’s more pressure. It was kind of ups and downs in the shot. I think towards the end I felt very comfortable in the team, and that’s the main reason why I think I shot better. I think my confidence raised, and I felt better. And the guys made me feel better. I can shoot. I’m a great shooter. ... If I couldn’t shoot, I wouldn’t shoot 3′s. But as long as I shoot, I’m confident, and I’m trying to make every shot I can.”

• Like 3

I'm torn y'all. 

If Edwards and  Hayes are there at six, I'd have a real hard time with who the Hawks should select.

Hayes BBIQ is like 100 times higher than Edwards and Hayes has great size and passing ability with the defense. 

But the potential of Edwards dwarfs Hayes if  Edwards ever puts it all together. 

Am I leaning Hayes? I just can't decide. 

Edited by marco102

42 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I'm torn y'all. 

If Edwards and  Hayes are there at six, I'd have a real hard time with who the Hawks should select.

Hayes BBIQ is like 100 times higher than Edwards and Hayes has great size and passing ability with the defense. 

But the potential of Edwards dwarfs Hayes if  Edwards ever puts it all together. 

You answered your own question there, junior.

On another note, I ain't buying Deni's shooting.  I rhink he shld be assessed as if it never comes around just as Okoro should.  Then it becomes Diaw vs Smart.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You answered your own question there, junior.

On another note, I ain't buying Deni's shooting.  I rhink he shld be assessed as if it never comes around just as Okoro should.  Then it becomes Diaw vs Smart.

I kind of did. As I've watched Hayes more thouroughly recently, his offensive and defensive BBIQ are excellent for a player his age and he'll contribute to winning a lot sooner than Edwards.  Hayes is a better passer than Edwards based on his ability to read and manipulate defenses. 

I say that to say, IF Edwards puts it all together, he's also the perfect compliment to Trae at the 2.  

I'll just call them 1a. Hayes and 1b. Edwards and hope the Hawks have the opportunity to pick one of them. Lamelo's is high on my board too, but I see the Wolves holding the Knicks hostage for Melo and getting a great return.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, marco102 said:

I'm torn y'all. 

Maybe more than 100 times my friend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, marco102 said:

I kind of did. As I've watched Hayes more thouroughly recently, his offensive and defensive BBIQ are excellent for a player his age and he'll contribute to winning a lot sooner than Edwards.  Hayes is a better passer than Edwards based on his ability to read and manipulate defenses. 

I say that to say, IF Edwards puts it all together, he's also the perfect compliment to Trae at the 2.  

I'll just call them 1a. Hayes and 1b. Edwards and hope the Hawks have the opportunity to pick one of them. Lamelo's is high on my board too, but I see the Wolves holding the Knicks hostage for Melo and getting a great return.

Knicks aren't all in on any PG in this draft. I think Okongwu draft ceiling is at this pick and rightfully so. Thibs is going to draft the best fit for his system and if Haliburton is gone, they may have no choice. That said, Ant and Ball are very high on the Knicks BB and if either one is at #4, I can see them moving up to land one of them for a reasonable price. The reason they are out on moving up to 1 or 2 is the price is too high. NYK do not want to trade a 2021 pick, Barrett, or Robinson. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

If the playoffs this year has shown anything, it’s been two clear lessons. First, wings and some forwards who can guard multiple positions and generally play across the positional spectrum in a wide variety of lineup constructions are incredibly valuable in the late stages of a game. Second, shooting remains at a premium, and guys who can provide a real sense of gravity and hit shots are intensely valuable.Basically, the smart teams in the league are using the valuable assets they have to load up on the wing position. And in addition to that, they’re loading up on shooting.

The players surrounding guys like Adebayo and Butler in Miami are mostly strong or confident shooters, such as Tyler Herro, Duncan Robinson, Crowder, Kelly Olynyk, and Goran Dragic. Three of those guys in Dragic, Herro, and Robinson are 3-point shot creators. The two best role players for the Lakers during this run have been Caldwell-Pope and Green, two useful wing shooters who have a real sense of gravity.

That’s the game in today’s NBA. Find stars who have genuinely elite, standout skills, defensively versatile role players, and guys who can shoot. That’s what you need. And in large part, the board you’ll see below reflects that once you get outside of the top-three, where teams should genuinely be star-hunting and trying to take fliers on the next elite players in the league.

Screenshot_20201003-083614_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2020 at 11:02 AM, macdaddy said:

maybe i'm just biased but something seems fishy to me about the Edwards criticisms.  I'm wondering if 'committment to winning' and 'professionalism' are somehow code for something else.  

I'd try to trade up for Deni but not sure what we'd give up.  I'd love to have Edwards but Deni seems like he checks more boxes for us.   

Please tell me you're not implying it's some kind of racist dog whistle? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Strange breakout.  Edwards and Okoro aren't wings in this one, for example.  I think this might actually make it tougher to really compare potential picks.

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, AHF said:

Strange breakout.  Edwards and Okoro aren't wings in this one, for example.  I think this might actually make it tougher to really compare potential picks.

That's what I thought to.

Looks like they classified Wings as SG/SF and SF/PF as Forwards. But for those with ball handling capabilities lumped them in the guard/secondary ball handler category.

• Moderators
On 10/3/2020 at 11:00 AM, bleachkit said:

Please tell me you're not implying it's some kind of racist dog whistle? 

I didn't see this but for the record no.  That was not at all what i was implying and not sure what the purpose of that would be anyway.