• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Had Haliburton's college coach on.  Granule, cover your ears.

His one job was to pump up Haliburton and he fell woefully short, imho.  Compared Haliburton not to Monte Morris or any of the other successful picks they've had.  Said he reminds him more of ... wait for it ... Cam Payne.

Huh, what?  Even if it's true, you can't say that.  Certainly not without explaining why he'll succeed where Payne failed.

Asked what the most important thing Haliburton needs to work on.  On-ball defense, size, attacking rim, scoring.

This guy's fired.

Steve Prohm said that? In other interviews I have heard he has been effusive in his praise for Haliburton.

24 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Steve Prohm said that? In other interviews I have heard he has been effusive in his praise for Haliburton.

Yes.  He didn't sound very well-spoken, honestly.  Like he didn't intend to sound so negative, tried to be a little too 'real' maybe.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, kg01 said:

Had Haliburton's college coach on.  Granule, cover your ears.

His one job was to pump up Haliburton and he fell woefully short, imho.  Compared Haliburton not to Monte Morris or any of the other successful picks they've had.  Said he reminds him more of ... wait for it ... Cam Payne.

Huh, what?  Even if it's true, you can't say that.  Certainly not without explaining why he'll succeed where Payne failed.

Asked what the most important thing Haliburton needs to work on.  On-ball defense, size, attacking rim, scoring.

This guy's fired.

Seriously, that is terrible.  Like an ad for why not to go play for him.

Maybe all this will allow him to still be available at #6.  He's not supposed to be the greatest, end all draft pick.  He's obviously not.  

What he is, in my opinion, a piece of the puzzle that makes up the picture of the Hawks that fits.  I believe that he is exactly what Atlanta needs.  He fills the description.  As the roster is currently constructed, what is their greatest need?  Help for Trae.  Tyrese Haliburton is the answer.  

:smug:

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Seriously, that is terrible.  Like an ad for why not to go play for him.

If a coach undersells, the reaction is "that's not a good sign". If a coach oversells then it's "well he's gotta pump up his guy." Sometimes it's the personality of the coach. Some are more stoic, some are more excitable. Sometimes the assistant coaches know certain players better and might have a different opinion entirely. I would take it with a grain of salt. 

12 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

If a coach undersells, the reaction is "that's not a good sign". If a coach oversells then it's "well he's gotta pump up his guy." Sometimes it's the personality of the coach. Some are more stoic, some are more excitable. Sometimes the assistant coaches know certain players better and might have a different opinion entirely. I would take it with a grain of salt. 

You're reading more into our reactions than we read into the coach's comments.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You're reading more into our reactions than we read into the coach's comments.

Longest, most nitpicky, offseason ever. We need Hawks basketball like a fat kid needs cake, like a coke head needs a bump, like a 40 yr old Virgin needs sum..... you get the point.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

I agree with what you said but look at what you said:  a coach underselling his guy is a red flag reaction.  Knowing that, why would you go do a national interview without something positive to say about your guy?  Comparing him to a draft bust is not a compliment.  Part of a coach’s job is pr.  I guarantee the coach knows how to “sell.”  He doesn’t compare his program to garbage programs when selling a recruit.  If he did, it would be a red flag.

This isn’t a huge deal but he did his star a disservice with this and hurt himself and his program.  (In much the same way that hyping your guys and your program helps.)

@kg01 nailed it with his first comment.  If you are going to compare him to a bust, at least explain why it will be different for him (the guy bust due to health problems Hali doesn’t have or Hali has certain skills that project a higher flood and ceiling.)

• Like 3

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Longest, most nitpicky, offseason ever. We need Hawks basketball like a fat kid needs cake, like a coke head needs a bump, like a 40 yr old Virgin needs sum..... you get the point.

This.  

DONT START SNIPING AT EACHOTHER.  Just discuss the topic.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I agree with what you said but look at what you said:  a coach underselling his guy is a red flag reaction.  Knowing that, why would you go do a national interview without something positive to say about your guy?  Comparing him to a draft bust is not a compliment.  Part of a coach’s job is pr.  I guarantee the coach knows how to “sell.”  He doesn’t compare his program to garbage programs when selling a recruit.  If he did, it would be a red flag.

This isn’t a huge deal but he did his star a disservice with this and hurt himself and his program.  (In much the same way that hyping your guys and your program helps.)

@kg01 nailed it with his first comment.  If you are going to compare him to a bust, at least explain why it will be different for him (the guy bust due to health problems Hali doesn’t have or Hali has certain skills that project a higher flood and ceiling.)

All the written material I have read his coach was singing his praises to the sky. I'd like to hear this interview for more context

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

You were right though. Had he praised him we would just dismiss it as coach speak "he HAS to say nice things".

I usually skip coach interviews for that reason.  I happened upon this one and found it strange, which is why I went ahead and recapped it.

Interview is archived on the NBA Sirius platform in case anyone wants to hear straight from the horse's mouth.  But, if you do that, I'll know you don't trust me and we can't be best friends anymore.

• Premium Member

2020 Draft Prospects Who Are the Most NBA-Ready

Deni Avdija (Israel, SF/PF, 2001),  Smith (Maryland, PF/C, Sophomore),  Josh Green (Arizona, SG/SF, Freshman), LaMelo Ball (Hawks, PG, 2001),  Malachi Flynn (San Diego State, PG, Junior),  Obi Toppin (Dayton, PF/C, Sophomore),  Onyeka Okongwu (USC, C, Freshman),  Payton Pritchard (Oregon, PG/SG, Senior)

Details here:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2914346-2020-draft-prospects-who-are-the-most-nba-ready

• Thanks 1

Guard stat....

Total blocks

Kira Lewis: 18

Haliburton: 15 (22 games)

Maxey: 12

Riller: 10

Tre: 10

Hayes: 9

Cole: 6 (22 games)

Flynn: 3

Dotson: 3

Terry: 2

Ball: 2 (12 games)

Winston: 1

Pritchard: 1

Nico: 0

Edited by terrell

More notes from the preview ...

-Fran additional notes on Haliburton: exceptional personality.  Is a "blender", will blend right in wherever; would fit great in Atlanta or Phoenix - gives Trae/Booker a "mental health break" by handling the ball/initiating some; doesn't see all-star but will help a team; can be pressured since he's tall+dribbles high, not a true point

- Haliburton v Ball: Spatola says the gap isn't as wide as folks say.

Fran: Ball is White Chocolate, he's a show.  Great passer, basketball junkie.

2 worries: 1. Shooting is a major weakness (and he doesn't know it - big problem), 2. Played in a league that is not athletic yet he couldn't get by guys without the help of a ball screen (yikes).  Will be a good nba player, don't buy the hype (ouch).

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

More notes from the preview ...

-Fran additional notes on Haliburton: exceptional personality.  Is a "blender", will blend right in wherever; would fit great in Atlanta or Phoenix - gives Trae/Booker a "mental health break" by handling the ball/initiating some; doesn't see all-star but will help a team; can be pressured since he's tall+dribbles high, not a true point

- Haliburton v Ball: Spatola says the gap isn't as wide as folks say.

Fran: Ball is White Chocolate, he's a show.  Great passer, basketball junkie.

2 worries: 1. Shooting is a major weakness (and he doesn't know it - big problem), 2. Played in a league that is not athletic yet he couldn't get by guys without the help of a ball screen (yikes).  Will be a good nba player, don't buy the hype (ouch).

Does Fran do Big Boards? Id like to see his rankings.