• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Does Fran do Big Boards? Id like to see his rankings.

He specifically said he won't and often rails against sites that do.  Says most aren't based on any actual intel, are meaningless.   Stte 

Says he gets intel by trading what he knows with teams who ask him.  Teams ask him things like insight on guys he's seen play or has interviewed in the course of his broadcasting.

As an aside, he clearly interviewed Trae several times at OK, talks about him a lot.  while he was struggling as a rookie, Fran kept saying on air that the turnaround was coming.  Said you don't lead the nation in pts/asts if you can't play.  Fast forward to now though, he often says trae/Hawks have to show they can win.  Fair criticism.

Lastly, back on topic, he says he never asks a team about guys in their draft range.  Meaning, for example, he wouldn't ask MIN about Edwards (that'd be courting misinformation).  He'd ask them about someone they likely won't be drafting.  Low incentive to misinform. 

Sorry for the long response.  I find Fran to be quite a good listen.  Very matter of fact and seems driven by common sense not clicks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/10/25/nba-draft-scout-brutally-honest-feedback-lamelo-ball/

To all interested, please read the above article on Lamelo Ball. An excerpt:  "“Primary initiators need to have a respectable pull-up jumper to lead a great half-court offense. LaMelo (Ball) requires a complete overhaul in his mechanics. Not having a quick first-step will make it all the more challenging for him in the NBA."

I've been pushing only 1 or 2 players in this whole draft and this article shows why. Ball is now considered the best prospect in this draft but as you can see, he is very flawed compared to the last 2 draft classes. I would be perfectly happy with the Hawks trading out of the lottery at this point as only 1 or 2 players in the top 13 make this team any better right now.

Right now Edwards is not better than either Cam or Hunter or maybe even Huerter.  Haliburton can be better than Teague but he's a project. Maybe only Wiseman could break the rotation and that's by year's end. Okoro and Toppin have potential but would be bench players for a minimum 2 years given our current setup. Read the short analysis and then remember that LaMelo might be the best this draft has to offer.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, thecampster said:

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/10/25/nba-draft-scout-brutally-honest-feedback-lamelo-ball/

To all interested, please read the above article on Lamelo Ball. An excerpt:  "“Primary initiators need to have a respectable pull-up jumper to lead a great half-court offense. LaMelo (Ball) requires a complete overhaul in his mechanics. Not having a quick first-step will make it all the more challenging for him in the NBA."

I've been pushing only 1 or 2 players in this whole draft and this article shows why. Ball is now considered the best prospect in this draft but as you can see, he is very flawed compared to the last 2 draft classes. I would be perfectly happy with the Hawks trading out of the lottery at this point as only 1 or 2 players in the top 13 make this team any better right now.

Right now Edwards is not better than either Cam or Hunter or maybe even Huerter.  Haliburton can be better than Teague but he's a project. Maybe only Wiseman could break the rotation and that's by year's end. Okoro and Toppin have potential but would be bench players for a minimum 2 years given our current setup. Read the short analysis and then remember that LaMelo might be the best this draft has to offer.

Maybe missing out on Edwards or Ball is a blessing in disguise. They are really risky prospects. 

5 hours ago, thecampster said:

Yep. Reddish talk at 6:00 mark..And  At 7:40 Edwards knows he cant fk with Cam. lol..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, thecampster said:

These things are impossible to predict, but every draft has some guys who disappoint and some who surprise. Making definitive pronouncements about prospects has historical been shown to be pointless as the draft is inherently hard to predict in terms of eventual success.

• Premium Member

The Ringer Trade Idea:

Trade: The Spurs send DeMar DeRozan and no. 11 to the Hawks for no. 6.

Okoro has qualities reminiscent of Kawhi Leonard, whom the Spurs also traded for way back in the 2011 draft. Okoro is sure to be a great defender, and he shows flashes of scoring ability. But his jumper needs a lot of work. Maybe the Spurs can repeat history.

The Hawks are shopping their first-round pick and intend to push for the playoffs, according to multiple league sources. Expect them to also be aggressive in free agency; the franchise wants to win now and capitalize on Trae Young’s emergence. DeRozan could serve as a secondary on-ball creator next to Young. It’s not a perfect trade or fit, but this type of construct could be what Atlanta is immediately looking for. Selecting Williams, who is receiving top-10 hype from teams, would also give them an upside scorer at the forward position.

• Premium Member

Yahoo Trade Idea:

To Charlotte: No. 6 pick, John Collins

To Atlanta: No. 3 pick, Miles Bridges and Cody Zeller’s expiring contract

The Atlanta Hawks make most sense as a trade partner. The frontcourt fit between John Collins and Clint Capela is an awkward one, and Collins is a year from restricted free agency. The Hornets have so many needs, it is hard to know where to begin, but a walking 22-year-old double-double is not a bad start, so long as they believe they can still get a player they like with the sixth pick. Meanwhile, the Hawks would have greater assurance they get their guy at No. 3, adding Bridges as a better wing fit next to Trae Young.

Couple observations:

1. We really don't know exactly how the fit is between Collins and Capela will work since they haven't played together, there is an assumption that it is 'hawkward', but I would at least like to see it in action first before making a conclusive statement.
2. who is the guy are actually trading up for - who is the Hawks guy at No. 3?
3. Bridges is a better wing fit next to Trae by what metric? I'm asking what makes him a better wing fit than either Huerter, Reddish or Hunter.  
4. Who play's PF for the Hawks after we give up 20/10.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yahoo Trade Idea:

Couple observations:

1. We really don't know exactly how the fit is between Collins and Capela will work since they haven't played together, there is an assumption that it is 'hawkward', but I would at least like to see it in action first before making a conclusive statement.
3. Bridges is a better wing fit next to Trae by what metric? I'm asking what makes him a better wing fit than either Huerter, Reddish or Hunter.  

Miles Bridges and (Any) Zeller are both trash.  Yeah, I said it.  Don't @ me.  EZPass

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, High5 said:

I've never cared for DeRozan, but if we could add his talent to the lineup with just a pick swap then I would be OK with that. 

#6 for Derozan + Patrick Williams 

Trae/Derozan/Hunter/Collins/Capela

Teague?/Huerter/Cam/J.Grant/Dedmon

Riller or Pritchard(2nd rd)/Williams/Bruno/Skal

Not too bad.....

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, High5 said:

I've never cared for DeRozan, but if we could add his talent to the lineup with just a pick swap then I would be OK with that. 

I would prefer White or Murray over DeRozan.  😀
I could live with it, he expires next offseason and that leaves us financially flexible but I have concerns:  Would DeRozan be happy here? I don't want another sulky vet like the Turner and Crabbe debacle.  His contract is $27 million so that leaves us with $15 million to fill the backup PG and PF spots, is it enough?  I guess if all else fails in FAcy, I would not be horribly upset. Also if it's a strict salary dump in that we are not sending any salary back to SAS, I think we should be able to get a 2nd or 2 added.

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I could live with it, he expires next offseason and that leaves us financially flexible but I have concerns:  Would DeRozan be happy here? I don't want another sulky vet like the Turner and Crabbe debacle.  His contract is $27 million so that leaves us with $15 million to fill the backup PG and PF spots, is it enough?  I guess if all else fails in FAcy, I would not be horribly upset. Also if it's a strict salary dump in that we are not sending any salary back to SAS, I think we should be able to get a 2nd or 2 added.

Living in Atlanta on a fringe Playoff team is better than living in SA on a fringe Playoff team..lol

Not to mention how much exposure he'll get playing with Trae..Especially in the Playoffs..

Edited by terrell

16 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

DeRozan has been through it after being "betrayed" by Masai, watching the Raptors win a championship, and being on the first Spurs team to miss the playoffs in 87 years (give or take). I think this would be a refreshing situation for him. Bring back Skal + #11 and spend whatever's left ($8 mil or so?) on a PG. Definitely not my ideal scenario given DeRozan's limitations as a defender and shooter, but I think it is a viable route to becoming a competitive team. 

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, High5 said:

DeRozan has been through it after being "betrayed" by Masai, watching the Raptors win a championship, and being on the first Spurs team to miss the playoffs in 87 years (give or take). I think this would be a refreshing situation for him. Bring back Skal + #11 and spend whatever's left ($8 mil or so?) on a PG. Definitely not my ideal scenario given DeRozan's limitations as a defender and shooter, but I think it is a viable route to becoming a competitive team. 

That could be true regarding DeRozan - he'd have to buy in though.

I calculated the left over cap incorrectly.  Pick #6 is ~$6 million, #11 is ~$4 million, so we would have $17 mil.  Skal's QO is $3.4 mill leaving ~$13.6 million.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, kg01 said:

Miles Bridges and (Any) Zeller are both trash.  Yeah, I said it.  Don't @ me.  EZPass

Truth.  I wouldn't trade any of our wings for Bridges.  Can't imagine him and his limited range and defensive ability ever being a long-term starter for us.  On top of that, I value JC more than the #1 pick let alone the #3.

When they come for you, I'm totally with you on this.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yahoo Trade Idea:

Couple observations:

I don't like Zeller's contract at all and I don't care for #3 if we are also giving up Collins. E-Z pass. 

6th pick for Miles Bridges is reasonable but I wouldn't do it if I was Charlotte. Bridges showed real flashes as an elite 3&D big wing. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I don't like Zeller's contract at all and I don't care for #3 if we are also giving up Collins. E-Z pass. 

6th pick for Miles Bridges is reasonable but I wouldn't do it if I was Charlotte. Bridges showed real flashes as an elite 3&D big wing. 

He hasn’t shown much 3 or D.  Rebounding is not impressive for his size. I’m unimpressed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I disagree: https://www.nba.com/hornets/tasked-more-responsibility-miles-bridges-now-eyeing-consistency