• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coaching!

Peoriabird

4 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Sorry this has nothing about you being right but more about me being right about Keldon Johnson and what a great prospect I thought he was a few years back. 

Oh, the only reason I quoted your thing was to make sure you read mine. 😘 

Wait, what's Keldon Johnson been doing?  Not disagreeing, I just haven't noticed.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

As bad as Vince was, he knew how to actually play basketball....

^This.

Plays like these are what Vince provides that won't show up in the boxscore.

That is a teachable moment LP has on video to use.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Vince was worse!  So I don't understand why the front office would want to play the player who was retiring with no future with the team.

Nope!

Rather play the vet, Vince that's retiring vs the guy who'd likely be overseas, Jones.

I was an advocate of more Bruno time, but he was brutal most games and players were a little fustrated at times with his miscues.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I was an advocate of more Bruno time, but he was brutal most games and players were a little fustrated at times with his miscues.

Believe it or not, Bruno was a +2 on/off the court for the season.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Doc Rivers and D'antoni unemployed while LP still has a job?  :questions:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29995811/doc-rivers-la-clippers-head-coach-sources-say

LP deserves a shot to see what he can do with this team, now that the expectations have been raised.

But point taken.

15 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LP deserves a shot to see what he can do with this team, now that the expectations have been raised.

But point taken.

There's no "point" to take.  He feels the same about any unemployed coach.  He just doesn't like whoever's coaching the hawks at the time he hits 'sends.  It's pretty comical. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

But point taken.

What point?  That Doc had 7 years, D'Antoni had 4+ to at least be given a fair shake to coach an actual NBA roster?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

There's no "point" to take.  He feels the same about any unemployed coach.  He just doesn't like whoever's coaching the hawks at the time he hits 'sends.  It's pretty comical. 

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What point?  That Doc had 7 years, D'Antoni had 4+ to at least be given a fair shake to coach an actual NBA roster?

Point Taken! | Inspirational quotes motivation, Inspirational quotes,  Famous inspirational quotes

• Haha 1

I think the items mentioned here should unite all citizens.  We all should care about voter access, minimalizing homelessness, and feeding people in the city. 

You may not liking his coaching, but I believe coach pierce is a great human being.  I would love for my coach to focus on these issues and help improve them in our city with his platform.  

Edited by marco102
  • Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Can the mods move this discussion somewhere else because i think this entire discussion is for some other thread.

@AHF

What was posted was Atlanta Hawks content involving the coach.  Most of the philanthropic efforts made by Hawks player or staff are done in a single post.  Trae sets up a charity for some group and it gets posted in a Trae thread on a homecourt.  People who like it then like the post.  At most, a few people say "good on him" or something.  Rarely does any discussion come from this stuff until someone wants to argue that he shouldn't be doing it.

Things the Hawks do with LP (and our other coaches, players, staff, etc.) and that the Hawks post about him are appropriate for Homecourt.  I think the only thing extending this conversation is you arguing that you don't want your coach trying to feed the hungry, etc. and that you think it isn't Hawks related.  If you just focused your comments on his coaching ability and ignored what the Hawks are doing with him off the court you'd have much better odds of keeping this thread focused on his on-court activities.  

In deference to this being your thread, I've moved the discussion around it to the related thread so marco can make the point he wanted to make on this thread here and you can ignore it and refocus with your next post on his on-the-court coaching as desired.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Many of his answers centered around a lack of communication on the court, particularly while on defense – some of that stemming from having quieter players in general, some of it because they were a younger team still learning the NBA. It wasn’t their only issue, but not talking enough created a less-competitive Hawks team.

“I don’t think you can go in that locker room and find a lot of loud guys,” Pierce said that night. "And so, when you don’t have that type of natural personality, you have to intelligently create it. How do you communicate, still being true to yourself, but also being true to your teammates. We’ve had loud guys around, and everyone knows what a loud guy sounds like. We don’t have that, but that doesn’t mean we should be noncommunicative. Right now, we’re quiet, we’re a little reserved, and then we’re not communicating with one another, and that’s where the spirit dies.

“How do you empower one another? If I’m in a pick and roll and I know the play is drawn up, I love for our guys to go out on the court and say, ‘Hey, I’m coming off and I’m looking for you, knock that down.’ That’s communication. You don’t have to be loud to do it, but you do have to interact with one another, just empower guys, let him know that you’re thinking about him, maybe you make the pass, maybe you don’t, but at least there’s some interaction there.”The Hawks' communication improved throughout the season, considering they got the outgoing John Collins back in late December and at the trade deadline added former Hawk and experienced veteran Dewayne Dedmon, whose voice gave them a boost. The team as a whole improved from January onward, which made not getting an invite to the Orlando restart an even tougher pill to swallow, as their final 15 games at the end of March and beginning of April were snipped.But, taking another step forward with communication on offense and defense will be key, according to Huerter.

“Can’t always come from Trae (Young), can’t always come from, now he’s not with us, Vince (Carter), or different guys we have on the team,” Huerter said. "For the most part, it’s a lot of guys that have got to speak up, and a lot of guys that play a lot of minutes that have got to speak up more, me being included. Communication is one of the most important things you can have on a team.

"If you’ve ever been a part of a team, a team that doesn’t talk usually doesn’t win. So that’s something we have to get better (at) and just being on the same page.”

For the soft-spoken Hunter, minicamp gave him the chance to practice speaking up.“(Pierce) addressed it with me, and I’ve been trying to be more vocal in practice,” Hunter said. “He would tell me to call out the defense for whatever our team is running, call out the play for whatever our team wants to run, so just trying to slowly get me comfortable with doing that, and I feel like with these two weeks that we have, if I can get better and better each day, it can just be something that comes natural.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1