Coaching!

Peoriabird

39 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Why didn't the team try to win last year?  Were they tanking for a draft pick  nobody wants in this draft?  Were they trying to loose to attract free agents?  Losing on purpose last year made no sense so if that was the plan then Schlenks is not a good GM.

Semantics.Thats on me.

Figuratively they werent trying to win.

Literally, they were hoping for an improvement upon the previous year with no expectations to be a playoff team. If it happened, great, bonus points. But nobody was going to be blamed if it didn't happen.

I'll say it again, TS fell on the sword and said that he did not provide the right balance of veteran leadership for such a young roster to be competitive. He ADMITTED it was on him, not LP. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

TS built the team expecting them to go 30-52.  How is this unclear?  He expressly and publicly said it was projected to be a 30 win roster.  And that was without JC getting suspended and all the other issues.

59 minutes ago, AHF said:

TS built the team expecting them to go 30-52.  How is this unclear?  He expressly and publicly said it was projected to be a 30 win roster.  And that was without JC getting suspended and all the other issues.

People get their expectations confused with the reality.

TS plan was always the long game. Trae's mercurial rise has forced him to adjust course on the fly. This year was a setback, but nobody in the FO is putting that on LP.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

People get their expectations confused with the reality.

TS plan was always the long game. Trae's mercurial rise has forced him to adjust course on the fly. This year was a setback, but nobody in the FO is putting that on LP.

Well this year we finally set the bar to be competitive. Looking forward to it.

• Like 3

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Well this year we finally set the bar to be competitive. Looking forward to it.

You aren’t alone.  I am crossing my fingers to see what trades and FA moves we make this offseason to build a much deeper, more robust roster to make a run at the playoffs.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 10/25/2020 at 7:49 PM, AHF said:

I still don't understand the purpose of losing on purpose last year.  Can someone explain this to me?

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I still don't understand the purpose of loosing on purpose last year.  Can someone explain this to me?

Nope. Already asked and answered in various forms and in numerous threads. You should be able to find your answer in one of them. 🤨

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I think i saw a bet in there.   'We can't compete with Cleveland or Chicago'?    Should we bet on who has the better record this season?  

IF last season were able to finish, we were going catch and pass Chicago. We were/are already better than Cleveland.

We were only 3 games behind Chicago with 15  left. Playing better than they were at the time. (They went 3-13 in their last 16 games, we went 7-9 in ours) We would have caught them.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

IF last season were able to finish, we were going catch and pass Chicago. We were/are already better than Cleveland.

We were only 3 games behind Chicago with 15  left. Playing better than they were at the time. (They went 3-13 in their last 16 games, we went 7-9 in ours) We would have caught them.

Yes.  And i'll take the bet this season too.   

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I thought it was time to bring back this thread to see if anyone has had a change in heart yet?

No change of heart . We all know what’s coming if LP doesn’t get this team to gel.

you were calling for LPs head when the roster the past two seasons were built to lose on purpose and we knew that LP would not be fired based on the talent of those rosters as the goal was to be in the lottery.

Fast forward to this season where Schlenk made a ton of moves in FO to create a top offense and LP has not done well with that talent he’s been given to be a powerhouse offense on most nights. To credit @JayBirdHawk we do have missing pieces which is a big deal but I’m not sure if that excuse will save LP from the axe that may be coming.

ALSO I was on a different boat than most . Most thought if LP gets canned it would be due to defense BUT I know that if LP is out of here it’s going to be because of offense! Offense should at least be keeping us in all games but these past 4 outside of the 76ers game we don’t have an offensive identity anymore. The 4-1 start looked like we were building an offensive identity but now ALL players not just Trae looks confused on offense. The sole reason hunter is playing well is because of him upping his aggressiveness not because he has great plays being ran for him.

But @Peoriabird you seem to want a I told you so I guess but the reality is every coach in every sport need a fair chance before getting canned. LP is getting his fair chance now with a better overall roster full of weapons as a first time head coach in the pros.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Everyone said it made no sense to can LP before he had a shot at a real NBA roster but that if he didn't succeed it was time to move on.   

There isn't an offense or defense problem.   There is a chemistry problem.  That is why LP will get fired.   Because Trae doesn't like him and he can't lead the team effectively.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Everyone said it made no sense to can LP before he had a shot at a real NBA roster but that if he didn't succeed it was time to move on.   

There isn't an offense or defense problem.   There is a chemistry problem.  That is why LP will get fired.   Because Trae doesn't like him and he can't lead the team effectively.  

Yep.  Just proves, again, that a star player has more power than a head coach.  If Trae wants him to stay, chances are, he stays.  But, if Trae doesn't like him, his staying on as head coach is slim to none.

😪

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JTB said:

He’s probably right but the team goes as Trae goes. If Trae is his normal self we would be winning most of these games more than likely 

What's 'normal' self?

1st half Trae - yep

2nd half Trae - nope

Besides, some of this falls to LP as well.

• Like 1