• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coaching!

Peoriabird

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JTB said:

You didn’t let me finish ....too elite as a screener “when he commits”

I'd like to see him commit more.  He is a great option on the back end but it will be harder to defend us if teams actually fear him setting a hard screen.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

I'd like to see him commit more.  He is a great option on the back end but it will be harder to defend us if teams actually fear him setting a hard screen.

This has been @TheNorthCydeRises pet peeve all season, with both JC and Capela's solid ccreen setting or lack thereof for Trae.  He pointed out they set more solid screens for the other player but with Trae it's more slip screening looking for the lob.  @NBASupes pointed out it could be a Trae specific thing.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

There’s really not any major changes that we’re going to do (Wednesday) night other than win a ball game.”

While that might be disappointing for fans to expect something different and unique from what they’ve seen over the course of 27 games, but it’s impossible to implement a totally different system in a span of 24 hours before an important Eastern Conference game. From what was gathered after talking with McMillan for the first time since he was hired though was that Pierce has empowered his assistant to watch games as he normally would as a head coach. McMillan was brought to Atlanta to help in all aspects of coaching: player development, game preparation and game management. Pierce wants McMillan thinking and reacting as a head coach would in order to help him out, particularly with in-game decisions like timeouts, play calls and adjustments.

It’s unclear how much say he actually has when it comes to in-game decisions, but he did talk to the team Tuesday about its recent late-game struggles and how to break out of this stretch that has the team trending in the wrong direction.

“What we’re seeing right now is a young team that is not finishing games,” McMillan said. “They got to learn how to finish all games. We’ve been in most of these games for three quarters. We’ve played good basketball for 36 minutes, sometimes 40 minutes, sometimes 45 minutes. The last three (minutes) or the last minute of the game, we’re just not executing. We’re not making those breaks. Some of the things I told our guys is we have to get to the three C’s: calm, clear and connected going down the stretch. We have to be calm going down the stretch. We got to be clear about what we’re doing and we have to be connected on both ends of the floor. Sometimes, with the pressure of the game with young players, they can be emotionally drunk out there.”

McMillan pointed to the Toronto game over a week ago as an example of the late-game pressure getting to this team. The Hawks were up comfortably late in the game when the Raptors made a run in the fourth quarter. The team’s body language was sullen after a timeout with their heads down, yet they were still leading. Pierce reminded them in the huddle that they were still winning and it’s OK if teams make a run because that’s basketball. The Hawks ended up winning that game, but it’s the only game they’ve won in their last five games, as the team’s on its second four-game losing streak of the season.

“I look at Trae and his development in my time being here this season. I don’t know what he went through last year but it’s very similar to Victor Oladipo and Sabonis — having guys who are really good players and all of a sudden they become an All-Star, things change with how teams play you, the coverages you see, teams tend to get physical with you, they do things like what Trae is seeing now, sometimes they box-and-1 you,” McMillan said. “That can be frustrating for a player. For a young guy to see that kind of defense, he has to go through that growth against playing defenses like that. He’s seen traps before but I don’t know if he’s seen someone trying to deny him 30, 40 minutes, which is what Indiana did, Toronto did and having to make that adjustment can be frustrating for players. How do you play without the ball? What can you do without the ball and help your team? These are some of the things Coach Pierce is having to teach and show on video. This is the growth you have to show when teams are trying to take you out in order to help your team.”

• Premium Member

Aside from the bone headed Trae turnovers, I think the team played much smarter under Nate.  Especially Reddish who wasn't asked to launch a bunch of 3's.  Cam looked under control with his best asset on offense being his ability to attack the rim.  Good Job Nate!

• Premium Member

Trae Young had one of his best 3 game stretches as a pro under Nate McMillan. He was playing like a superstar.  Then LP returns and back comes the terrible offensive sets and the stupid substitutions but yet you all continue to clown the players.  I just don't get it.

• Like 1

As a very crude and simplistic measure I usually judge coaches on how hard they are on their PG, more specifically how they demand they defend.  Trae has no tools or energy whatsoever on that end so I try not to be too critical of Lloyd.  Coming into the season I thought Dunn and his All-League defense was the key to link the starters with the bench but that’s out.

Edited by benhillboy

Did a quick check of the box scores just to make sure my memory was accurate.  In all 3 games Nate coached he had Capela in the game late with each game still within reach for either team. None of them were necessarily one possession games, but they were all within reach.  Hawks go 2-1 and play well in each game except for guys missing good shots in Boston L.

And yet LP continues to make the same call to take Capela out and put Gallo in late in games. It's cost them more than once.  I just don't get it.  Gallo is not even a top offensive weapon at this point.  Clint rebounds, blocks shots, and shoots a higher % than Gallo.  Even if teams foul Clint and he misses a FT, his defense is good enough to stop a score on the other end.  

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 3