• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coaching!

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

Just win baby!  Pierce's solution to his team's bad play especially on defense is for the Hawks to win a game after a 7 game losing streak.  Except it didn't work...After winning a couple of games, they went on another 10 game losing streak!

Bad effort is due to bad morale. When you have players doing things they should not be doing it gets disheartening. Players, even more than fans, get very tired of seeing threes being chucked by their teammates who have no business shooting them. Its like we have 4 Smooves on this team and some of them shoot worse than Smoove.

Everyone's role is not to be a shooter who can spread the floor. Different roles for different skill sets and I think that confuses LP. Its much easier to throw five players on the floor and say shoot the three.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Bad effort is due to bad morale. When you have players doing things they should not be doing it gets disheartening. Players, even more than fans, get very tired of seeing threes being chucked by their teammates who have no business shooting them. Its like we have 4 Smooves on this team and some of them shoot worse than Smoove.

Everyone's role is not to be a shooter who can spread the floor. Different roles for different skill sets and I think that confuses LP. Its much easier to throw five players on the floor and say shoot the three.

Careful...You will get some posters a little upset like @macdaddy

• Premium Member
On 4/17/2020 at 10:51 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

I knew where this topic was headed hence my googling.:laugh:

A not so cleverly disguised thread that should have just been called "Here's why we should Fire Lloyd Pierce"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

A not so cleverly disguised thread that should have just been called "Here's why we should Fire Lloyd Pierce"

Why are y'all making this about me rather than focusing on what a diservice this coaching staff is to the players and fans.  When they lose, the players get blamed but in reality the video shows that it is the scheme and the bad habit being formed killing the team.  We can make all of the trades we want but until the team is coached properly, they won't win consistently!

• Like 2

Teams usually take on the personality of their best player on both ends.  Not saying that’s good or bad in our case, just sayin lol.  The offensive and defensive ratings speak for themselves,

I disagree with the respect part.  Don’t blatantly disrespect anyone obviously, but some people don’t deserve your respect and should know full well you don’t.  When Spo loses respect for a player the whole league knows it.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Teams usually take on the personality of their best player on both ends.  Not saying that’s good or bad in our case, just sayin lol.  The offensive and defensive ratings speak for themselves,

I disagree with the respect part.  Don’t blatantly disrespect anyone obviously, but some people don’t deserve your respect and should know full well you don’t.  When Spo loses respect for a player the whole league knows it.

Do you think Trae can be coached or do you think he is what he is and can't improve his play style?

I very seriously doubt that Young's going to ever be better than slightly below average to regular below average defensively. He can get better at efforting, but there's some issues here that hurt him defensively that aren't going to magically get up, walk out the door, and leave town if you change coaches.

I don't think he can be your #1 player on a future playoff team that has a real shot. Maybe your #2, but it might be touchy and this is something you might not see until you see a playoff series.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I very seriously doubt that Young's going to ever be better than slightly below average to regular below average defensively. He can get better at efforting, but there's some issues here that hurt him defensively that aren't going to magically get up, walk out the door, and leave town if you change coaches.

I don't think he can be your #1 player on a future playoff team that has a real shot. Maybe your #2, but it might be touchy and this is something you might not see until you see a playoff series.

I was referring to his offense

@Peoriabird thanks for sharing those clips. I don’t think anyone is in love with Pierce as the coach here PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT....Pierce very well could get fired during next season. It won’t be a I told you so because no one here is truly defending LP...everyone just knows it’s not going to happen until next season if he is fired but there’s nothing wrong in hawk fans supporting this young coach and hoping he improves. He’s on the hot seat but he’s not on the hot seat for what he’s done the first 2 years here in Atlanta. If he were there’s enough evidence to where Schlenk would have fired him by now. But guilty Schlenk knows he put a shit mess of a roster together so he’s going to give LP another shot.

with that said I’ve said from day one that bud should have been kept at all cost but bud didn’t want a young team or a rebuild party. Instead of Schlenk letting him walk away, we should have kept him for the remaining 2 years of his contract. Bud would now just be leaving if he chose to had we just held on to him. But oh well it’s over now and we must move on. You don’t have to compare buds offense to Pierce everyone knows that bud is a top 5 coach in the nba today and had been for a while now . Blame Schlenk on buds dismissal not pierce or the fans, Schlenk let our top 5 coach get away. At the very least he should have traded his ass to Milwaukee.

Now let me spill my negative rant about Pierce cause many of those clips you showed were related to the offense side. Pierce was never known for offense!.. in fact that is very reason I didn’t want him or any other defensive coaches that we were looking at post the Bud era. Defensive minded coaches like Pierce has no feel for offense , most adopt  a heavily isolated offense style which I’m glad Pierce did not do. But in Philly Pierce was known for his outstanding player development on the defensive end there and I know our defense isn’t looking great right now either but I would bet the defensive flaws get fixed before the offensive ones do ....that’s the point I’m making.

Now I’m still in support of Pierce ...despite this and while he’s the coach. I don’t want this young coach to fail and I’m hoping he gets it right this upcoming season. He should most definitely have the roster to get wins next season. Furthermore Many of those videos you shared about the offense can be fixed. Will it???? ...I don’t know but while it’s not hard to tell a player to cut in the open lane... we also have to remember that this era of players have a instinct of looking for the 3 ball by default. Pierce has to be better going forward but our players need to just use their damn brain as well. Pierce shouldn’t have to tell his players to cut when the lane is open like that ....I’d like to see a comparison video of the hawks success plays to see if the players are actually cutting when theDe same plays are successful. I’m sure these same plays worked throughout the year as well after all we didn’t score 0 for the whole season...it’s something to think about.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 4/18/2020 at 9:35 PM, JTB said:

..I don’t know but while it’s not hard to tell a player to cut in the open lane... we also have to remember that this era of players have a instinct of looking for the 3 ball by default. Pierce has to be better going forward but our players need to just use their damn brain as well. Pierce shouldn’t have to tell his players to cut when the lane is open like that ....I’d like to see a comparison video of the hawks success plays to see if the players are actually cutting when theDe same plays are successful. I’m sure these same plays worked throughout the year as well after all we didn’t score 0 for the whole season...it’s something to think about.

Thanks for your honest opinion but but my fear is the players are developing very bad habits especially Trae.  Trae take a lot of shots with many of them forced and ill-advise and so does Huerter at times. Players just stand around on the perimeter and watch Trae dribble the air out of ball at times which is a formula for stagnant offense.  Should the coach intervene when the players playing the wrong way? Absolutely but Pierce does not.  He just chalks those loses to "Lack of energy" which isn't the case.  The team is not playing offense or defense the right way as a cohesive group and Pierce never makes adjustments.  The team looks the same game after game.  By the way, one of those players that didn't cut to the basket in those clips was Vince Carter.  He was one of the biggest culprits during the season not the millennial.