• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Trade Ideas!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

In general, patience is the right approach, even if it’s something Hawks fans might not want to hear. But in the big picture, continuing to cultivate their young talent is wise; trading players before you have a greater sense of their realistic range of outcomes is dangerous. However, at the same time, we know that developmental progress isn’t linear. Players can plateau in their development, even regress. Wait too long to make a move, and the optimal window to cash in can pass you. It’s a balancing act.....

.....When you have a player like Young, however, the clock starts ticking to start making impactful moves and show him that, as an organization, you’re committed to winning immediately. Just speaking with him countless times the past two years, I guarantee you that he’s annoyed that the Hawks were not one of the 22 teams to make it to Orlando. Look at the goodwill the Phoenix Suns received in their eight games. Even though they didn’t make the playoffs, that stretch was huge for them and shows they’re on the right track — and more importantly, it shows Devin Booker that they can win meaningful games.

Two players I want to ask you about who could be made available this offseason are Sacramento’s Buddy Hield and Brooklyn’s Spencer Dinwiddie. 

Hield and Young in the backcourt together would be disastrous defensively, but the offensive fit would be sparkling. Dinwiddie’s ability to run pick-and-roll fits with Atlanta’s system. As for the cost to acquire him, given his tenuous position in Sacramento, he could be had a bit cheaper — perhaps Atlanta and Sacramento could swap picks in the lottery with the Hawks also taking Hield in the deal. That way, Atlanta adds a nice player who dramatically helps its shooting problem and Sacramento moves up in the draft and sheds a large contract in Hield with no money coming back due to Atlanta’s cap space, increasing its flexibility to re-sign restricted free agent Bogdan Bogdanovic.

If Atlanta could find the right price — maybe some sort of trade down (Brooklyn has Philadelphia’s pick at No. 19) or perhaps a deal involving future draft capital if Brooklyn is open to that, Dinwiddie could make a lot of sense for the Hawks.

• Premium Member

Does Orlando go in full tank mode next season?

They have ~$120 million in salaries on the books for next season. Aaron Gordon ($18, $16) has been on the trade block for what seems like the past 2 years. Evan Fournier has a $17 mil player option. Vucevic locked up for 3 years at $26, $24, $22 per. Terrance Ross, 3 years $13, $12, $11.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Does Orlando go in full tank mode next season?

They have ~$120 million in salaries on the books for next season. Aaron Gordon ($18, $16) has been on the trade block for what seems like the past 2 years. Evan Fournier has a $17 mil player option. Vucevic locked up for 3 years at $26, $24, $22 per. Terrance Ross, 3 years $13, $12, $11.

I"d take Ross just so we don't have to watch him rain threes down on the Hawks.    I don't see much of a fit with Gordon and Fournier.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I would love Terrance Ross but I doubt we have the assets to get him/ 

What kind of assets will it require? My assumption is Orlando is looking for some salary cuts.

I'd trade the OKC 2022 for him.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I don't see Travis doing this but I can see him getting another pick and packaging it with OKC's to try to land someone like Hield but that top 10 pick, TS isn't going to trade that for someone who's not significant. 

Not a fan of Heild at all. And I keep seeing his name on Hawks boards. smh

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, terrell said:

Not a fan of Heild at all. And I keep seeing his name on Hawks boards. smh

Heild doesn't even start for the Kings and in fact he was receiving reduced minutes this year.  Why does this guy's name keep coming up on this board? 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

They don't need cash. I was just saying, I would love to have him. 

Well that depends. They are over the cap. With Isaac's injury what is their next move. Tank or not?

You said we don't have the assets. What kind of assets are they looking for for a bench player locked into a 3 year contract at 13, 12. 11?

9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Heild doesn't even start for the Kings and in fact he was receiving reduced minutes this year.  Why does this guy's name keep coming up on this board? 

Because he's a good backup player giving you 2.4 WAR. That would 2nd on this squad after Trae Young. Him or Dinwiddle is not worth a top 10 pick, even for a swap. 

Edited by NBASupes

10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

On a right sized deal and in the right role, he could help us.  That said, he's overpaid and is seeking a larger role than he should.  I get why people discuss him but he's not the perfect add.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Because he's a good backup player giving you 2.4 WAR. That would 2nd on this squad after Trae Young. Him or Dinwiddle is not worth a top 10 pick, even for a swap. 

But he apparently wants a greater role than that so the "numbers" are kinda incomplete in this analysis, sir.  Wouldn't you agree?

11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Well that depends. They are over the cap. With Isaac's injury what is their next move. Tank or not?

You said we don't have the assets. What kind of assets are they looking for for a bench player locked into a 3 year contract at 13, 12. 11?

Orlando is not a tanking squad.

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Orlando is not a tanking squad.

With Isaac out for next season and the hype of next season's draft class, they might be. Just saying, everything is fluid.

You said we don't have the assets for Ross, what kind of assets would that be.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

With Isaac out for next season and the hype of next season's draft class, they might be. Just saying, everything is fluid.

You said we don't have the assets for Ross, what kind of assets would that be.

That doesn't mean they will be a tanking squad. We will not know if they are a tanking squad till the middle of next season at the earliest. Detroit is a tanking squad. 

30 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Yeah...Why would Orlando tank because Issac is hurt?  Am I missing something?

I kinda look at it like they barely eeked into the playoffs with their all-in squad.  In my eyes, they should tank.

That said, I'm sure they don't see themselves that way.

Just now, kg01 said:

I kinda look at it like they barely eeked into the playoffs with their all-in squad.  In my eyes, they should tank.

That said, I'm sure they don't see themselves that way.

They don't. They might in the middle of next year if they are at the bottom of the conference 

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

That doesn't mean they will be a tanking squad. We will not know if they are a tanking squad till the middle of next season at the earliest. Detroit is a tanking squad. 

13 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

They don't. They might in the middle of next year if they are at the bottom of the conference 

It actual depends on what they do in the offseason, first with Aaron Gordon who they have been trying to unload. Do they keep him with Isaac out? If Fournier picks up his option, will he be trade fodder.

Things change quickly. Just last week you created a topic about players being 'now available' when you didn't think so before. Just like all these teams saying they want to bring back all their FAs. They're not gonna say anything different. But until pen hits paper with the right offers there is still a chance they don't.

I keep saying it just based on based COVID CBA expectations for this offseason and the next.

• Like 1