Hawks Free Agent Targets

• Moderators

Who do you want to target?  What price point do you hope to get them at?  What, if any, ramifications does this have for the rest of the roster?  Do you think TS will go hard or conserve money for the future?

Why are you dumping posts from other threads in here?  Well - for that one because this thread is intended to clean up Supes thread and to serve as a broad topic for our approach to free agency.

------

(First post I moved follows)

AD isn’t really the type of player with an ego where he would need to leave LA for fear he is being overshadowed.  Normally that would be my best hope.  

• Like 3
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why don’t we throw in John Collins to make it fair? 🤔 

They must get their Hawks trade rumors from Brad Rowland

Not trying to hate.  I don't doubt that he is a real difference maker.  I just can't wrap my head around how the alpha personality who was the best player on the 18-19 roster never got a regular start

Posted Images

• Premium Member
On 4/23/2020 at 7:10 AM, Buzzard said:

(re: Collins) All that is rumored... one article posted giving contract specifics of a 80% max offer of around 20M a year for 4 years. I saw it posted here somewhere but I am to lazy to do a search.

So, this confounding of "rumor" with "report" by otherwise intelligent people--as-if bloggers theorizing on what they think about player or issue x, y or z would be noteworthy--is ridiculous.

The "confounding" is.

Not the person himself.

(Just to be clear, and so there's no insult taken.)

Good on you, Buzz, that you're too lazy, actually... why would you bother anyhow?

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

NO wants him at all cost. 

Based on... ???

Again, I get it that you have a source in ATL.

It's a tough sell to say you or a source has serious insight into NOP's inner conversations.

And I'm not even saying you're wrong. How would I know? I'm saying that same question seemingly, if we're being honest, applies to you as well.

It wouldn't surprise me if they do want him at all cost.

It also wouldn't surprise me that they're doing what practically ever team does in the position they're in, which is to posture, and attempt to propagandize the NBA universe in order to keep the likelihood of competition at a minimum.

Would it you?

All I know is that even if Schlenk doesn't actually value Ingram for whatever reason, I want to see NOP pay through the nose... they're shaping up as a potential opposite-conference rival in 2-3 years, and it only behooves us to be causing them whatever pain we can cause them.

Is that irrational?

Just now, sturt said:

Based on... ???

He’s young. They gave up a lot for him. (Anthony Davis main trade piece). He’s restricted. 

That’s why.

• Like 3
  • Premium Member
Just now, Spud2nique said:

He’s young. They gave up a lot for him. (Anthony Davis main trade piece). He’s restricted. 

That’s why.

3 minutes ago, sturt said:

And I'm not even saying you're wrong. How would I know? I'm saying that same question seemingly, if we're being honest, applies to you as well.

It wouldn't surprise me if they do want him at all cost.

It also wouldn't surprise me that they're doing what practically ever team does in the position they're in, which is to posture, and attempt to propagandize the NBA universe in order to keep the likelihood of competition at a minimum.

• Premium Member
Just now, Spud2nique said:

But we aren’t getting him.

You continue to amaze and confound with how convinced you are of your own logic, while repetitively rejecting logic otherwise.

Open your mind and reconcile this with your thinking, and then we can have a legitimate adult conversation...

2020-04-25_1215.png

To be sure it registers with you, note that "most executives" this reporter interviewed do not view Ingram's talent to be worth a max contract. If that's the case, it at least  justifies some doubt, even if just a sliver, that Langdon and Griffin are fully prepared to give max money... and that, a bit more justified, given that NOP does have some cap space concerns shaping up in their future.

Knowing you're not one to ever "lower" yourself to concede a point, I don't anticipate there will be any reconciliation, though. We'll see.

• Premium Member

Yep.... sure thing, indeed... par for the course...

20 minutes ago, sturt said:

To be sure it registers with you, note that "most executives" this reporter interviewed do not view Ingram's talent to be worth a max contract. If that's the case, it at least  justifies some doubt, even if just a sliver, that Langdon and Griffin are fully prepared to give max money... and that, a bit more justified, given that NOP does have some cap space concerns shaping up in their future.

Spud said ...  934a3637-2657-46ad-aa58-639dfda80de8_tex

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

TMZ facts.

T-M-Z?

Learn yur alphabet, young man.

2020-04-25_1455.png

And again...

ANNNNNYTHING... to avoid conceding the point. Par meet course.

9 minutes ago, sturt said:

T-M-Z?

Learn yur alphabet, young man.

2020-04-25_1455.png

And again...

ANNNNNYTHING... to avoid conceding the point. Par meet course.

😂 I rest my case. ESPN 😷 more than TMZ.

• Haha 2
  • Premium Member

All I know, Spud, is what my momma taught me.

Which is that people respect more those who figure out the value of retreating sometimes over those who think themselves so smart to die on every hill.

Maybe that's just my momma, though.

@sturt Kirschner actually said the same thing @NBASupes guy said about NO wanting Ingram at all cost. Also I read a few months ago from a national source that Griff is willing to match any offer for Ingram.

i think when you hear this you go straight to hawk fans not wanting Ingram and that’s not the case. I would say majority want him but many believe that even if or when Schlenk gives him an offer it’s likely going to be matched.

i would love Ingram here and I’m all for him and Schlenk going after him but I do think Griff is going to match any offer as well and I don’t want Schlenk to wait too long going after Ingram and allowing other good players to slip by to other teams.

Edited by JTB
  • Premium Member
16 minutes ago, JTB said:

@sturt Kirschner actually said the same thing @NBASupes guy said about wanting Ingram at all cost.

I'm not sure how that makes it any more valid. Why should Kirschner know?

Answer, it doesn't. It's just another person's opinion, no better no worse than any of ours.

Also I read a few months ago from a national source that Griff is willing to match any offer for Ingram.

I've not seen that. But I don't have to. I know what you know which is that the NOP front office is especially interested to discourage others from taking interest in Ingram. It's what every team's front office does in the lead-up to having an RFA that they would like to keep, and are concerned about the price being bid-up.

I do think Griff is going to match any offer as well and I don’t want Schlenk to wait too long going after Ingram and allowing other good players to slip by to other teams.

1) Again, reference what I said to Spud about approach.

In short, this isn't for me an exercise in propping up a pet cat and wanting everyone else to agree with me... that's Spud's thing with Harrell... it's not my thing here with Ingram. My approach is that I'm coming from the standpoint of figuring out Schlenk's most likely to-do list based on what the man himself has told us, both recently, and in past seasons in the lead-up to free agency.

2) Again, I rate Schlenk's likelihood of getting Ingram to be ~10%, NYK's ~30% and NOP's ~60%.

3a) Again, the league last season made the RFA pursuit process decidedly less daunting. That is, in this case, NOP will only have 48 hours now to make a decision.

3b) Again, even so, the Hawks have so much cap space that even during those 48 hours that Schlenk would theoretically be waiting for NOP to match or not, we can still sign players if necessary. But it's not even likely to be necessary...

3c) ...Because... again... by virtue of the fact that the Hawks have so much more cap room than most competitors, and moreover, that there are really just 5 FA competitors at all... we control the market in a way that any player's agent trying to maximize his client's contract is going to wait on the Hawks offer regardless. It's just math and logic.

Okay?

• Premium Member
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Logic? 😂 ok... sure thing buddy.

Let Sturt enjoy the premise that we may chase Ingram and we may sign Ingram. That is his dream come true in this thread; let the man have his dream. I am.

No more senseless arguing and dealing with snide remarks about a lack of logic and intelligence over one player out of possibly twenty we may pursue.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Thanks 3
3 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

No more senseless arguing

True. I think we all know one another’s opinions and player choices. We can keep debating but I don’t think there’s anything new here. Oh god why did I say that. 😬 

• Haha 2
  • Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Let Sturt enjoy the premise that we may chase Ingram and we may sign Ingram. That is his dream come true in this thread; let the man have his dreams. I am.

No more senseless arguing and dealing with snide remarks about a lack of logic and intelligence over one player out of possibly twenty we will pursue.

I would just like to add...IMO the odds the Hawks sign Ingram is less than the probability of NOP not matching the offer if we do.  Hope I said that right :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Premium Member
55 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

😂 I rest my case. ESPN 😷 more than TMZ.

ESPN is good for box scores and ....well....box scores.

• Haha 2
  • Premium Member
1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

True. I think we all know one another’s opinions and player choices. We can keep debating but I don’t think there’s anything new here. Oh god why did I say that. 😬 

After a while it gets to the point where it is like arguing with your mate about something really stupid. You just need to shake your head and say " Yes honey, you are right"  and go back to watching the game.

• Haha 3