• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Free Agent Targets

AHF

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

As Hawks fans we better get used to seeing a bunch of our players in a bunch of different rumors moving forward and that’s a compliment because of our talented youth. 

More often that not, we aren’t going to like the purposes deals from the other 29 teams.

Proposed? :read::oops:

• Haha 1

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

FREE AGENCY DATE SET!!

I'm only worried about tampering if they put most of the free agents and front office people in the same city, hotels, and restaurants for weeks on end.   As long as that doesn't happen i'm sure it'll be a clean offseason.  

• Haha 3

• Premium Member

Any interest in any of these guys. Hawks will have to waive Vince to clear a roster spot.

Group 1: Demarcus Cousions, Joakim Noah (signing w/ LAC), Gerald Greene, Trey Burke, Tyler Johnson, Iman Shumpert and CJ Miles

Group 2: Jaylen Adams, Cameron Payne, Dragan Bender, Dantay Hall, Jarrod Uthoff, Jordon Bell

Group 3: Two way players.

24 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Any interest in any of these guys. Hawks will have to waive Vince to clear a roster spot.

Group 1: Demarcus Cousions, Joakim Noah (signing w/ LAC), Gerald Greene, Trey Burke, Tyler Johnson, Iman Shumpert and CJ Miles

Group 2: Jaylen Adams, Cameron Payne, Dragan Bender, Dantay Hall, Jarrod Uthoff, Jordon Bell

Trey Burke, Tyler Johnson and Jordan Bell are interesting. In that order for me I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Only Tyler Johnson aka Meth Curry.

• Haha 2

Odds seem pretty good to me that Cam ends up a better all around player than anyone in this draft and in particular on the D end. Who would we expect to be an All Star sooner from this draft. Not completely bashing the draft but outside folks just don't have a clue how good our guy is gonna be and he is still only twenty years old at the moment. Not trade material.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

The 2021 free agent class – potentially – shapes up to be as good as any in recent memory, including that Silly Season of 2016. Along with Antetokounmpo sugar plums dancing in teams’ heads, there is a potential Who’s Who of elite players in the queue. At the top of the list are the Fantasy Island Tattoos, those superstars with player options for 2021: Kawhi Leonard, James, Paul George and Jrue Holiday. Anthony Davis, potentially, could be on that list if he opts in for 2020-21 without signing a long-term extension this summer with that Lakers. But those FITs will decide where they play, not the teams that want them. And they have very short wish lists. They are chimeras, not realistic options for 27 or 28 teams in the league.

Under that FIT category are good to very good players with ’21 options that could be more realistic targets for more teams: Spencer Dinwiddie, Will Barton, Norman Powell and Josh Richardson. There are also in-their-primes players who’ll be outright unrestricted free agents: Victor Oladipo, Rudy Gobert, Andre Drummond and Steven Adams; older but still viable contributors like Gordon Hayward, Dennis Schröder, DeMar DeRozan, Mike Conley and LaMarcus Aldridge; potential tip-the-scales role players such as Otto Porter, Evan Fournier, Kelly Oubre, Jr., and Jerami Grant; old heads with some tread left like Kyle Lowry, Derrick Rose, P.J. Tucker and Lou Williams.

The problem, of course, is that the 2021 free agency period, like everything else in the w

Many agents of rising 2021 free agents are telling their clients: choose security. They know that the superstars, as ever, will get paid next summer, but any player looking at the Mid-Level Exception of lower in ’21 may have problems, because they think a) teams will be cutting budgets in response to COVID (i.e., less willing to pay the luxury tax in 2021, with some teams slashing below that number), and b) most teams will only carry 14 players, one short of the maximum 15 allowed, and worry more about re-signing their own players instead of forging out to aggressively sign others.

“Before this year, you knew what that crop of ’21 is going to be,” one prominent agent, speaking on background, said. “It’s going to be even more crowded, because you’re going to have a significantly higher number of players (this summer) doing 1+1s (two-year deals with a player option for the second season). … I’m very lucky that I’m not going nuts going into this free agency. It’s going to be a bloodbath. We don’t know what the cap is going to be, but if it stays the same, how many owners are going to go with more than 13 guys?”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Thomas said:

Odds seem pretty good to me that Cam ends up a better all around player than anyone in this draft and in particular on the D end. Who would we expect to be an All Star sooner from this draft. Not completely bashing the draft but outside folks just don't have a clue how good our guy is gonna be and he is still only twenty years old at the moment. Not trade material.

YES !!  "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bushes."  Known product (Cam) is much better than any unknown product (Draft pick) and I wouldn't trade.  There is no guaranteed superstar in this draft.  

Fans of all the other NBA teams look at what the Hawks have and wish they had what we have.  Lots of very young, very good players and a lot of $$$ payroll relief.  We are near the bottom of the NBA standings right now.  Hawk fans know that our current roster is already much better than it was when we opened last season.  Our youth has another year of experience.  We will have a pretty good draft pick.  We may or may not spend some of that extra $$$ payroll in free agency.

Hawk fans have a reasonable expectation of jumping from where we ended last season, near the bottom of the NBA standings, to a position in the playoffs.  We're not ready to contend for the title - - Not yet.  But, we're gaining on it !!

:smug:

• Like 4

• Premium Member

So if most players opt in - the FA pool just decreased even further. I see many 1 year, and 1+1 deals this offseason. Might work to our advantage.

List of players with Player Options:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/po/

• Moderators

Why will no team carry 15 players?  I'm not entirely following this.  If you think there is an undervalued player out there (and the pool of players out there will be 29 deeper if no other teams are going 15 deep), then you can get that player for a minimum contract and likely get better terms like team options.  For a squad like the Hawks, I don't know why we wouldn't sign someone with some long-term promise to fill that spot.

It just seems penny-wise, pound foolish to not utilize a minimum salary on a guy who could develop.