• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Free Agent Targets

AHF

1 hour ago, JTB said:

Grab Bertans and draft Okoro. Okoro will more than likely be there at 6. 

if we roll into next season with Huerter, Okoro, Bertans, Dedmon as the reserve that’s already a much better bench by far! Just need the point to run the show .

I really don't know if Okoro will be there at 6... Cleveland's roster desperately needs a wing like him and I suspect they take him.  

5 hours ago, terrell said:

Id love FVV but hes gonna be expensive.......Im iffy on breaking the bank for Bertans..Has he played any winning basketball? I mean, we need shooters, but can he guard anybody?

I kind of believe Bertans is a smoke screen. I mean, how often do they predict FA signings this early for the Hawks? It's not often. I think we are being used to drive up his cost or something...who knows.

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I kind of believe Bertans is a smoke screen. I mean, how often do they predict FA signings this early for the Hawks? It's not often. I think we are being used to drive up his cost or something...who knows.

As long as the Hawks have capspace we will always be written about. Par the course

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

As long as the Hawks have capspace we will always be written about. Par the course

This. Michael Beasley mill. That's when an agent throws your teams name out there because you have the money to drum up interest in their client or to boost the offer of the preferred client.

• Like 1

I do think there are two trades that standout as decent trades moving us forward that are bad contract deals + asset. Not just the, hey, we need to get out of this contract trade I prefer. 

Al Horford/Zhaire Smith/21 for Dedmon/Bruno

Prince/19 for the rights to Marcus Erickson

I'll prefer the get this player off of our roster for salary relief more deals but I do know they are more competitive. Horford has a slightly competitive market but not anything better than this deal. It's some garbage for the most part as well and doesn't help them much down the road. 

The plus with these deals are replacing Dedmon who was a .3 WAR player after a horrendous situation that seen his WAR in the negatives was traded back to Atlanta and now sports a .3 WAR after having a career high 2.5 WAR in 2019 to Philly as well as Bruno who's sports a -.3 WAR didn't mesh well at all with John Collins and struggled in general adjusting to the NBA when the G-League should have been more likely. Bruno did show flashes of good play early on in the season and was clearly our 2nd best rookie early on and close to even being our best rookie. He also showed flashes of being a good backup in the future which is decent for year 1 and a 2nd round pick.

For Philly, the deal is mainly about freeing up cash for the LT, getting close to 16 million in TPE cash, and because they would be trading the best player in the deal and Zhaire/Bruno is a wash. While Zhaire Smith did nothing good at all in Philly, he did show signs of success in Delaware shooting 36% from three, nearly 80% from the line and a 63% TS. Now, this is the G-league and he's in year 2 which is not a great sign, but he does show flashes of being a two way guard who can be a good change of pace guard in the future. Horford who's a former multi-time All Star owed at the most 81 million which can be reduced in the last year if cut to 14.5 million.

He sports a 4.1 WAR playing 2.1k+ mins which is excellent for a starter/backup player but a horrendous situation of a player that used to sport a 7.1 WAR in 2019 which is one of the top 5 centers in the NBA type of WAR earning him his contract even at this age. Obviously, even at this stage, Horford is a rich man's version of Dedmon but at this cost, is that a good thing. His WAR did improve .3 with post COVID play but his playoff performance which was rightfully trashed earned him a playoff worse of -.3 WAR and exposed how poorly of a fit he is in Philly with their current personnel grouping. He did fit very well with Simmons, even more than Embiid but a good margin which gives Philly fans hope in the move but maybe not at this gargantuan price considering his age.

A 1st is to offset the cost of Al's contract and Bruno gives them a potential center who can take over in 2021-22 when they ultimately release or trade Dedmon. For Atlanta, Horford gives us an excellent 20-24 MPG big who can fill in for Capela in year one coming off of an injury which is quite huge for us as well as he can give us what Millsap gives to Denver. An exceptional vet big who knows how to add value while on the court for a short time period. Can help with the younger guys. We have more of a need for wings, then bigs since Skal is a FA so Skal makes sense to bring back over Bruno who's less ready to help us right now even if Bruno is a better long term play.

2nd deal is obviously Prince/19 for the rights to Marcus Erickson. 

There is probably as much good for this deal for Brooklyn than Atlanta. Frees up a roster spot which they need. Gets them out of a contract that they are overpaying by 16 million/2 years, they don't really need the pick, and we have a great relationship with them helping them land KD/Kyrie. For us, Prince is a .6 WAR player which would be the best WAR on the team as a wing last year and he's a .1 WAR player in Atlanta in 2019. That's not really much value at all added. Basically, he's just an average NBA player. He's a 3/no D player who's a good cutter and excellent corner three point shooter who's turns the ball over a tad too much.

Overall, he's always been an average SF which is better than what we currently have on this roster. Reddish who's a 2/3 played below average in the last three months but was really productive as a quip to his tremendous talent and natural skill and considering his awful start which seen his WAR as the NBA worst in early DEC -3.1, he finished with a -.1 WAR which was solid for a rookie playing the minutes he played. Hunter struggled in his year 1 transition to SF with no vet help sporting a ROUGH -1.1 WAR but he will be much better in year 2. After this trade, it's no guarantee that Prince won't just overtake Hunter as the starting 3 even though I don't expect it. 

Erikson has clear trade value. Some will say, easily higher than Bruno's which really appeals to a team who can't add a player via trade due to roster spot limitations. This also takes them out of the LT. This one is an easy win for Brooklyn. For Atlanta, adds salary which they have to do to hit the floor and gets us our lucky #19 overall pick which got us current Hawks: Kevin, JC, and Jeff Teague. Jeff, a former All Star, JC who has the potential to be one and Kevin who's an excellent potential 6th man has been a great pick for us and could be as well in 2020. Of course, gets us Prince, who probably should be the starter based on last year's wing play. This deal makes sense for both teams. 

There are more deals out there as well. 

This one gives Atlanta the potential of this considering we want to resign Jeff and Skal: 

Trae/Teague or Goodwin

Cam/Kevin/Zhaire

De'Andre or Prince/De'Andre or Prince

JC

Capela/Horford/Skal

We could obviously use another PF considering Prince best numbers are all at SF over the last three seasons and Skal is a 5. We could also use another big wing behind De'Andre and Prince. We could use a backup PG of the future as well to play behind Trae and Jeff and split development in CP/Atlanta. 

Edited by NBASupes

The biggest issue we have is, we have too much cap space and damn near no PT. 

At PF, 16-20MPG open. 

At C, we have our 2nd biggest opening because we want to preserve Capela. 20-24 MPG

At SF, we have our biggest, we still don't know who's the starter. Is it Cam, Hunter, or an outsider? 

At SG, it's damn near topped out. You gotta imagine Cam/Kevin eating all 48 mins. As the 3rd SG, you are probably looking at the G-League for PT. 

At PG, if we resign Jeff, we are near our max but like we got creative with Goodwin, you gotta think the 3rd PG can still get some mins. Trae can't play every game at 35MPG and in today's NBA, we really need to look at limiting his mins to 30-32 range. He was burning out in the 2nd half of the season. We need to preserve him some this year. 

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

At SF, we have our biggest, we still don't know who's the starter. Is it Cam, Hunter, or an outsider? 

Why do you go back and forth regarding Cam's position projections? I thought you saw him as a shooting guard?

59 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Hate it, Hate it, Hate it and the VALUE really sucks for the Hawks.

#21 DOES NOT offset Al's contract at all. As I noted earlier, we received #17 for an EXPIRING contract worth $16 million. But we are taking on a long term bad money 3 year deal for #21??? Does not add up. Then we throw in Bruno for the hell of it. On top of that we are saving Philly's LT payment....where is our payment for that.

Adding in 'Former Allstar, all the WAR stuff and earning contract'...lipstick on a pig.....Philly thought they pulled a fast one on Boston stealing him. Boston was offering 3yrs/$20...Al took the money, as always.

I see your point on Al's contract. James Johnson is garbage. That's a pointless trade and does Minny even want to do it anymore. This was an option more at 3-7 then at #1. They might not feel the need to trade #17 to get rid of that contract. It's not like they are in the tax or need to free up cash to resign guys. They have 21 million in cap space based on 115 cap room 

Lottery teams really don't trade 1st rounders for cap room

Edited by NBASupes

All you have to do is go to the Wolves message board. They are talking about getting a good player like Aaron Gordon for 17 and James Johnson which obviously won't happen but that's the type of deals teams like this look for. 

Teams trading mid 1st for cap is teams in the LT, contenders or trying to sign stars. Basically Brooklyn and Philadelphia. Not teams like Minnesota 

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

The biggest issue we have is, we have too much cap space and damn near no PT. 

At PF, 16-20MPG open. 

At C, we have our 2nd biggest opening because we want to preserve Capela. 20-24 MPG

At SG, it's damn near topped out. You gotta imagine Cam/Kevin eating all 48 mins. As the 3rd SG, you are probably looking at the G-League for PT. 

At PG, if we resign Jeff, we are near our max but like we got creative with Goodwin, you gotta think the 3rd PG can still get some mins. Trae can't play every game at 35MPG and in today's NBA, we really need to look at limiting his mins to 30-32 range. He was burning out in the 2nd half of the season. We need to preserve him some this year. 

Jeff? Sentimental attachment aside, He didn't look too good with us, I'd rather get someone else.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I see your point on Al's contract. James Johnson is garbage. That's a pointless trade and does Minny even want to do it anymore. This was an option more at 3-7 then at #1. They might not feel the need to trade #17 to get rid of that contract. It's not like they are in the tax or need to free up cash to resign guys. They have 21 million in cap space based on 115 cap room 

Lottery teams really don't trade 1st rounders for cap room

James Johnson??? Why is he being discussed?

I meant the Hawks taking Allen Crabbe's deal for #17 last season.