• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Free Agent Targets

AHF

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Didn't you just say he did...Never mind  LOL!

He said "we were going to be one of the more aggressive teams in  the open market" or something along those lines

I took that as we are trying to make the Playoffs. Why else would they be aggressive?

Edited by terrell

7 minutes ago, warcore said:

Damn @terrell -- he kinda got you. 😲

Got me how? If youre going to be aggressive in FA, doesnt that mean youre trying to win games next season? Making the Playoffs sounds like the goal to me..Let LP do all the talking..lol..

Edited by terrell

36 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Schlenk won't do it!

Why not? This isnt last season man..Hawks cant afford to do nothing as far as vets go...Schlenk knows this...

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, terrell said:

I heard him say it was a goal..

40 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Didn't you just say he did...Never mind  LOL!

39 minutes ago, warcore said:

Damn @terrell -- he kinda got you. 😲

Schlenk's additional comments:

Pierce and the players have said they expect to be in the playoffs next season, but Schlenk didn’t want to go as far with his words.

“I wouldn’t necessarily say, put the pressure on them or anyone that it’s playoffs or bust,” Schlenk said after the lottery results were revealed. “But we do want to start to see our group improving on the floor, for sure.”

That quote saves Schlenk if the Hawks don’t make the playoffs because he can say, “I didn’t say we were making the playoffs,” whereas I don’t know how Pierce can back off his comments about being a playoff team next season.

“Next year, the progression is playoffs. That’s just a natural step. I’m not afraid to say it,” Pierce said in March. “Holding each other accountable, me holding them accountable and them holding me accountable is very important for a team to be successful.”

Pierce then doubled down on those comments a few months later, and Schlenk remained cautious so as not to say the wrong thing. This is a classic example of a general manager not wanting to be held to the fire in case something goes wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, terrell said:

Got me how? If youre going to be aggressive in FA, doesnt that mean youre trying to win games next season? Making the Playoffs sounds like the goal to me..Let LP do all the talking..lol..

Totally agree there. He 'got you' in that you said Travis said they plan to make the playoffs, then you said GMs don't talk about those things (it's funny cuz Travis is the GM). 

11 minutes ago, warcore said:

Totally agree there. He 'got you' in that you said Travis said they plan to make the playoffs, then you said GMs don't talk about those things (it's funny cuz Travis is the GM). 

Well he didnt say those exact words. lol. I just put 2 and 2 together when he talked about being aggressive in FA..NO GM would say Playoffs or Bust with such a young team and Coach..He kinda said it without saying it. lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, terrell said:

Well he didnt say those exact words. lol. I just put 2 and 2 together when he talked about being aggressive in FA..NO GM would say Playoffs or Bust with such a young team and Coach..He kinda said it without saying it. lol

I understand that y'all want both Schlenk and LP to succeed and so do I but I'm just not as optimistic as you are to the point where you project your own feeling on to what you assume Schlenk is going to do because you would do it.  To me, his history should not allow you to give him the benefit of the doubt and secondly, he has indicated that isn't predicting playoffs himself.  If he has doubt about what the outcome will be this up coming season why wouldn't you?

43 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I understand that y'all want both Schlenk and LP to succeed and so do I but I'm just not as optimistic as you are to the point where you project your own feeling on to what you assume Schlenk is going to do because you would do it.  To me, his history should not allow you to give him the benefit of the doubt and secondly, he has indicated that isn't predicting playoffs himself.  If he has doubt about what the outcome will be this up coming season why wouldn't you?

I never said I didn't have doubt about what the outcome will be?  I just know we better be alot better(especially our vets, because Travis admitted he fkd up last year) than last season. NO more Crabbe, Parsons, etc........ And I have no idea how much Hunter, Cam, Huerter etc are going to improve..But I dont see any reason why they shouldn't be better..LIke I said, its Playoffs or close to it to me..If we dont make it, its not the end of the world though imo....Btw, are you sure you want Schlenk to succeed? lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, terrell said:

And I have no idea how much Hunter, Cam, Huerter etc are going to improve..But I dont see any reason why they shouldn't be better..

I do! cough "LP" cough.  Remember this is a team sport.  Individual players can be good on offense but defense requires cohesion.  LP hasn't demonstrated that his teams can play team defense

11 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I do! cough "LP" cough.  Remember this is a team sport.  Individual players can be good on offense but defense requires cohesion.  LP hasn't demonstrated that his teams can play team defense

Yeah he does seem like more of a player development guy than HC(x's and o's) at times. But we'll see..

Edited by terrell

6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

His player development capabilities are vastly overrated!

Well he's the one that said the word  "Playoffs," so he better show us something...Or he'll be gone..

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, terrell said:

Well he's the one that said the word  "Playoffs," so he better show us something...Or he'll be gone..

I think Schlenk knows how limited LP is and maybe that is why he is so hesitant to predict playoffs because he sees the same things i see.  This team struggles with the same issues year after year.  Shot discipline, defensive rebounding, turnovers and transition as well as positional defense

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

I think Schlenk knows how limited LP is and maybe that is why he is so hesitant to predict playoffs because he sees the same things i see.  This team struggles with the same issues year after year.  Shot discipline, defensive rebounding, turnovers and transition as well as positional defense

I don’t think it matters if Schlenk feels high on LP to lead the team to the playoffs or not at this point. The goal is pretty obvious. Schlenk doesn’t have to publicly say anything regarding what the new goals are for next season in my own personal opinion.....LP and Jamie has given us direct and in between the lines reads that the playoffs are a SURE expectation from up top.

jaybirdhawk already posted LPs comments from earlier this year and the Schlenk follow up comments to what LP said after the season ended due to the pandemic when LP mentioned playoffs.....here’s our Owner Jami’s comments that said playoffs are expected in between the lines TO ME:

“I think we have such an amazing young core right now, with Trae (Young) and De’Andre (Hunter) and Cam (Reddish) and Kevin (Huerter) and John Collins,” Gertz said. “Those five are all 22 years (old) or younger, so we have a very young core, and this lottery pick is going to add to our young core. And this, my prayer is that this is my last season picking the lottery because I think we have all of the elements there and we are developing all of our young players. It was cut short this year.“

We can agree to disagree (I’m sure we will) but if I’m Schlenk and my boss made that comment I know the rest who are sitting up top are thinking the same thing (Tony)...even if we haven’t discussed these expectations internally for the next season I already know what’s up! I don’t need really need the internal talk to take place on what the  expectations are after such a comment because I’m already taking the extra steps to keep my job. In Schlenks case that would be looking at trades, this upcoming  free agency, draft trades,etc.

i don’t think it has anything to do with being optimistic about Schlenk anymore or not trusting LP...it’s all about “DO” now....And this off season is make or break for him and LP. LP knows this apparently that’s why he wasn’t “afraid to say playoffs” as he stated.

for me as a fan when I say I expect Schlenk to build a playoff roster this offseason  or when I say I expect LP to coach like it’s his last game from start to finish every game next season....it’s exactly that ! It’s either get it done or get fired 🤷🏾‍♂️
ain’t no optimism...I think the message has been sent and it’s clear ...do your job and complete the new task or get the hell out. If you think personally that Schlenk and LP aren’t capable of doing that then ok they’ll be fired sometime in the beginning of the season based on your thoughts.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, JTB said:

🤷🏾‍♂️If you think personally that Schlenk and LP aren’t capable of doing that then ok they’ll be fired sometime in the beginning of the season based on your thoughts.

My Statement is that neither has shown the ability to do their jobs thus far so it is a leap of faith to assume that they indeed have an ability that they are both hiding from us

9 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

True.  Atlanta has had trouble, as you say.  Maturity of our young players must help improve on the things you mentioned.  Defensive rebounding with our new center combination will surely be an improvement.  Trae and his court of merry men must cut down on their turnovers.  Positional defense falls on LP and his assistants.  They must teach.  Players must learn.

Health must be the #1 concern about the Hawks making the playoffs,  Our bench will be much better than last season.  Why shouldn't we make the playoffs?  If we are healthy, we will...

:smug:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

True.  Atlanta has had trouble, as you say.  Maturity of our young players must help improve on the things you mentioned.  Defensive rebounding with our new center combination will surely be an improvement.  Trae and his court of merry men must cut down on their turnovers.  Positional defense falls on LP and his assistants.  They must teach.  Players must learn.

Health must be the #1 concern about the Hawks making the playoffs,  Our bench will be much better than last season.  Why shouldn't we make the playoffs?  If we are healthy, we will...

:smug:

It was the same with his 1st year when he had a bunch of veteran players.  The worst shot selection came from payers like Bembry, Jabari Parker, Allen Crabbe, Vince Carter and Trae Young.  The only players who consistently exercise shot discipline were John Collins, De'andre Hunter and Jeff Teague.  Its LP's offensive system or lack there of that lead to these bad shot and turnovers.  The bad transition defense not only comes from the numerous live ball turnovers but the bad shots that lead to run outs.  Something LP allows on a regular basis.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Dean Walker said:

You think so??

Yep!  Trae still has poor shot selection, turns the ball over, Poor position defense, and doesn't play off the ball even though he is shooting something like 45% from 3 off the ball.  Kevin Huerter's off season after his rookie season was a disaster...He ended up picking up bad weight.  He still doesn't draw fouls while his position and help defense is poor still.  Doesn't finish well in the paint even though he is 6'7".  Collins didn't improve as a decision/play-maker. Alex Len went from a serviceable back up to unplayable. Don't get me started on bone headed Bembry or Vince Carter.  Fatso had to be traded. etc

• Like 1