Hawks Free Agent Targets

AHF

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

That was based on the cap going to 125 million in 2022. You do realize COVID happened.

No it wasn't and the cap was supposed to go to $116 this offseason not $125.

These Harrell contract convos was back at the end of May after the NBA shutdown, so it was already reported about the possible cap reduction. You were also ok paying Gordon Hayward a 3yr/$30 mil per year deal.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I disagree and I would do the deal before TS would finish the sentence. 

You deal Kuz in order to add Collins but you think LA wouldn't?  Agree to disagree.  Anyone who declines that deal is failing a referendum on their competence, imo.  Glad you pass!

Just now, AHF said:

You deal Kuz in order to add Collins but you think LA wouldn't?  Agree to disagree.  Anyone who declines that deal is failing a referendum on their competence, imo.  Glad you pass!

Because of what they need. Now they would do a Hunter for Kuzma deal right now. 

It has nothing to do with Collins, more so what they need. They need someone to guard big wings and take off pressure from Bron. Collins is a tad redundant with AD. It's more about fit this value. 

Trade value: Collins>>>>Kuzma

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No it wasn't and the cap was supposed to go to $116 this offseason not $125.

These Harrell contract convos was back at the end of May after the NBA shutdown, so it was already reported about the possible cap reduction. You were also ok paying Gordon Hayward a 3yr/$30 mil per year deal.

You aren't getting it. 2020-21 116, 2021-22, 125. JC and Harrell would get more due to inflation like Sabonis for more than Turner.

Please stop comparing big wings salary to other positions. Big wings who can defend 3/4 and shoot threes are the centers of the 2000s era. They is a shortage and their value is very important to winning. That's why overpaying for Tobias Harris, Barnes, Hayward is just not that big of a deal and why Jaylen Brown got his deal with no proof of that type of pay.  Look at the deal Robert Covington got in a trade and he wasn't the best player in it, Capela was.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Trade value: Collins>>>>Kuzma

That is because Kuz isn't in the same discussion as JC.  Kuz can't defend big wings worth a darn.  If what they want is really wing defender then neither of these guys gets it done but JC gets you a better wing in a trade than Kuz does.  Hence, LA pulls the trigger and figures out how to add that wing later, IMO.  But what I quoted above is common ground for both of us for sure.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

You aren't getting it. 2020-21 116, 2021-22, 125. JC and Harrell would get more due to inflation like Sabonis for more than Turner.

No, I'm getting it....the contract numbers discussed in the debate for both players was based on $116 since the assumption was JC would be extended this offseason.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No, I'm getting it....the contract numbers discussed in the debate for both players was based on $116 since the assumption was JC would be extended this offseason.

It's simple. You can use someone as the baseline market but their contract has to be based on what their market of the cap is as well. 18.5 per starting at 107 is less than 18.5 per at 116 for the cap%. Are you following me? So we can compare JC to Turner and Sabonis contracts but he will get paid more due to the cap at that time. But it all comes back around, they will hit FA first as well.

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

That is because Kuz isn't in the same discussion as JC.  Kuz can't defend big wings worth a darn.  If what they want is really wing defender then neither of these guys gets it done but JC gets you a better wing in a trade than Kuz does.  Hence, LA pulls the trigger and figures out how to add that wing later, IMO.  But what I quoted above is common ground for both of us for sure.

I disagree. He has shown he can recently in the bubble, just isn't consistent over the course of the season  which is understandable but he gives them a body. Now, he's no Dort. 

Him and JC aren't comparable at this. JC can't guard Ersan at 40 on the perimeter. Massive gap when it comes to defending in space. Randle in space gives JC a hard time. 

• Moderators

Siakam isn't a wing.  That said, Kuz looked radically better in those highlights (which you expect from highlights).  If that improvement is sustainable then that will significantly enhance his value.  I'll need to see it over a season before I believe it.  He has been a bad defender career to date.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

Siakam isn't a wing.  That said, Kuz looked radically better in those highlights (which you expect from highlights).  If that improvement is sustainable then that will significantly enhance his value.  I'll need to see it over a season before I believe it.  He has been a bad defender career to date.

He's been looking this defensive during the entire bubble. His offensive has let him down but defensively, he's been reliable. Watching his defense at Utah, its suprising to say the least.

I kind of see what Supes is saying defensively, but Collins shortcomings would be simple to conceal if he's next to the right personnel. If we're playing the Raptors, Collins doesn't have to guard Siakam ever. Between Hunter and another player you could have someone else be Siakam's primary defender. Same with Boston, if they're starting Theiss, we can play Collins a bulk of the minutes at center without asking him to defend Tatum.

Specifically you do that against those teams because their centers are not huge offensive threats. Against other teams we will need Capela's size full time. Versatility in the rest of the lineup can allow us to keep Collins on the court without asking him to do things he's not capable of. It's why I wanted Grant as a backup, defensively he's someone who's presence helps the whole team because of his ability to defend multiple positions.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

I kind of see what Supes is saying defensively, but Collins shortcomings would be simple to conceal if he's next to the right personnel. If we're playing the Raptors, Collins doesn't have to guard Siakam ever. Between Hunter and another player you could have someone else be Siakam's primary defender. Same with Boston, if they're starting Theiss, we can play Collins a bulk of the minutes at center without asking him to defend Tatum.

Specifically you do that against those teams because their centers are not huge offensive threats. Against other teams we will need Capela's size full time. Versatility in the rest of the lineup can allow us to keep Collins on the court without asking him to do things he's not capable of. It's why I wanted Grant as a backup, defensively he's someone who's presence helps the whole team because of his ability to defend multiple positions.

I do finally see why you want Grant. He can be a 3&D PF. That said Denver needs to sign him badly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2020 at 4:41 PM, AHF said:

Don't fall for the banana in the tailpipe, AH.  Kuzma is what he is defensively, which is trash.  Comparing anyone to him defensively is meant as an insult no matter how it's framed.

• Premium Member

Schlenk of Free Agency (from this morning):

Free agency: “There’s good players out there. We’ll go and try to get guys we think are going to fit well with our guys, for sure. If we can find a guy that fits from an age perspective, we won’t be scared to give out maybe a longer contract than we have in the past. But if it’s an older guy, maybe we’ll look to do a shorter contract. But we will have cap space and we’ll look to use it this year, as well.”

There you have it!  I'm guessing Capela is the cut off age...26 years.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Trade a second round pick for Blake Griffin...

I'll see my way out. 

giphy.gif

I think you meant to post in 'The worst trades you've seen thread?'  :laugh1:.

He's owed $36 million, that leaves us with $6 million in capspace (assumed $109)  to fill out the rest of the roster.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Schlenk of Free Agency (from this morning):

Free agency: “There’s good players out there. We’ll go and try to get guys we think are going to fit well with our guys, for sure. If we can find a guy that fits from an age perspective, we won’t be scared to give out maybe a longer contract than we have in the past. But if it’s an older guy, maybe we’ll look to do a shorter contract. But we will have cap space and we’ll look to use it this year, as well.”

There you have it!  I'm guessing Capela is the cut off age...26 years.

Maybe the cut off age should be 27 since  there is apparently one for long term deals . I don’t think a guy like Bertans who’s 27 would ever be considered a bad signing long term as it’s on a good or great contract. 

Bertans best skill is a very good pretty much elite 6’10 3pt shooter. Nothing is guaranteed but hell if there are any guarantees in this league it’s a very good shooter...guys like bertans are guaranteed to keep that ability throughout the life of their  contract plus longer.

• Haha 1