• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Free Agent Targets

AHF

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Oh! And they must have the ability to guard actual wings, out on the wing. If you cant keep up with wings, then you aint one. Park them cement blocks down low playboy lol

You are what you can guard, that what @NBASupes told me about Deni.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I think the pro Toppin crowd sees him as having really good handles for his size, I just don't buy it yet, or his movement abilty in the half court.

You can argue the dribbling ability but his movement skills are sensational. That's like saying DMC can't move. That's one of his best traits.

• Moderators
On 10/2/2020 at 8:59 PM, NBASupes said:

You can argue the dribbling ability but his movement skills are sensational. That's like saying DMC can't move. That's one of his best traits.

His offensive movement is great.  I consider myself to be in the pro-Toppin group but don't consider him a big wing at all.  He is our backup PF next year if we draft him and we'll see how good he turns out to be over the next few years.  But I don't see a path where he moves to become our starting SG or SF which is where a high upside wing needs to project.  I think way more Amare than Kawhi or KD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Thoughts on Derrick Jones Jr?  How is he still only 22, seems like he's been in the league a very long time.

NBA free agency won’t begin in full force until after the draft, but the rumor mill is picking up. Since the 2020 off-season began, the Atlanta Hawks have been linked to potential pursuits of Washington Wizards forward Davis Bertans and Denver Nuggets forward Jerami Grant. On Thursday morning, another name was added to the list, with Shams Charania of The Athletic reporting that the Hawks are “expected to express interest” in Miami Heat forward Derrick Jones Jr. when the bidding war begins.

Charania describes Jones Jr. as “a sought-after unrestricted free agent” and, given his age (23), it makes sense that many teams would be interested. At this stage, the 6’6 forward is perhaps best-known for his exploits as a dunker — including a 2020 win in the dunk contest at All-Star weekend — but Jones Jr. hits the unrestricted market at a (very) young age and he has an intriguing skill set.

Jones Jr. is a tremendous defensive player, using his athleticism and length to cause havoc. While he is slight in build, Jones Jr. has been effective at guarding multiple positions and, because he is an explosive vertical athlete, the Heat experimented with him almost in the role of a big man offensively, rolling to the rim to create space for shooters.

It should be noted that Jones Jr. is not a perimeter marksman, shooting just 28 percent from three-point range in his four-year career. Still, the Hawks have enjoyed success in helping young players to expand their range and, even if Jones Jr. doesn’t develop into a three-point threat, he could provide value in a bench role as a defense-first, highly athletic contributor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Thoughts on Derrick Jones Jr?  How is he still only 22, seems like he's been in the league a very long time.

I recall reports connecting him with us as a possible target pretty early on in the season.  Someone shot it down quickly.  I would name who it was but I don't wanna get caught up in the soup again. 😏

Seems like a good enough fit as a wing body but I don't know about getting into a "bidding war" for him.  Could quickly become a really bad contract if we're not careful.

• Haha 1

Free agents ain't free!

Seriously, think of the NBA next season.  Will there be fans?  Covid 19 may have a say about this.  If they play without fans, from where comes the $$$ money?  TV revenue, for sure.  Maybe a % of the sales of merchandise.  That leaves a lot for the owners "out of pocket."  

:smug:

When thinking of pricing and upside, Grant makes the most sense to me. I'd take him over Berteans becasue the Hawks will most likely have an above average offense.  In order to make a push for the playoffs, they need to work on defense and Grant's defense is light years ahead of Berteans. 

21 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I recall reports connecting him with us as a possible target pretty early on in the season.  Someone shot it down quickly.  I would name who it was but I don't wanna get caught up in the soup again. 😏

Seems like a good enough fit as a wing body but I don't know about getting into a "bidding war" for him.  Could quickly become a really bad contract if we're not careful.

I mentioned him a while back.. "Lobs from Trae to Jones Jr would be fun"..But yeah, it got shot down quick..lol

28 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'd still like to add him. Getting in a mild bidding war with MIA wouldn't be such a bad thing, especially if we can force them to slightly overpay for him. I'd be ok with a 3 year deal, which comes off when Cam and DeAndre's does.... NMT $30 mil.

30 minutes ago, warcore said:

I'd still like to add him. Getting in a mild bidding war with MIA wouldn't be such a bad thing, especially if we can force them to slightly overpay for him. I'd be ok with a 3 year deal, which comes off when Cam and DeAndre's does.... NMT $30 mil.

Jones Jr could be had for CHEAP. There isn't a big market for him at all. KCP will cost but LA is limited to a large degree. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Jones Jr could be had for CHEAP. There isn't a big market for him at all. KCP will cost but LA is limited to a large degree. 

Much rather have the hometown guy..

KCP/Crowder/Okoro 

Those were my guys from the jump..

All GA offseason..lol

Edited by terrell
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/15/2020 at 3:20 PM, kg01 said:

Why?  Jones makes more sense in every way over KCP.  Only thing KCP has over Jones is he knows what jail looks like from the inside.  Not sure thats the vet presence we need, btw.

KCP is the better defender and 3 pt shooter....Im not opposed to Jones Jr. I mentioned him a while back too.

• Premium Member

• Atlanta goes into free agency with the most money to spend ($42MM), giving general manager Travis Schlenk an advantage as he looks to add to his core of young talent. There aren’t any franchise players on this year’s market, but Bontemps mentions Davis Bertans, Danilo Gallinari and Joe Harris as possibilities, along with VanVleet.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

FVV & Bertans? Sounds like ESPN been listening to me.

I don't know if I should take that as a good thing or bad?

🤔

On 10/16/2020 at 10:36 AM, bird_dirt said:

I think it would be reasonable to expect individual and collective growth from our core (better D, lower turnovers, consistent scoring). We need to build the rest of the roster if we want to push for a deep playoff run.

I think this has been largely dismissed, but I would love to see a big push for Fred VanVleet. He could get the minutes he wants here starting at SG and backing up Trea. 

Then either sign Chiorzza or draft the 3rd PG.

This would push either Cam or Hunter to the bench (which ever is hot gets the start at SF). 

I'd try to get either Otto Porter Jr or Derrick Jones Jr for SF depth. I'd also try to get either Bertans or Christian Wood for PF depth, with Collins getting some minutes as a small C behind Capela. 

Whoever we draft would either be the 3rd or 4th option for their position or just send them to College Park. We shouldn't expect too much of anyone in this draft for this year. Not having any concern of trying to find the best fit will allow us the freedom to truly select BPA regardless of position. 

I'd be open to seeing if we could get anything in return for Huerter or Dedmond, future assets wise. If not, they can stay. If we could trade Dedmond, I'd like to bring in Nerlens Noel as the third C.

Roster looking something like this:

Trae/FVV/Chiozza or draft pick

FVV/Cam/Huerter 

Cam/Hunter/Derrick JonesJr or Otto Porter Jr

Collins/Hunter/Bertans or Wood/Skal

Capela/Collins/Dedmond or Noel/Bruno

Plus one or two draft picks, any position.

I've cooled on FVV mainly because he is the prize jewel of a pretty weak FA class and will get more than his true value from a number of teams. Especially when u consider he can take a discount to stay put or sign with another contender.

Ive got nothing against the player, just the market dynamics.

I'd much overpay a Dunn for 1/2 the price overall. 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Make no mistake, we are overpaying any signing this offseason. They all know we have money, and they all know if they have to take less, they can do so to ring chase.

I hope we don't.  There a BIG difference between taking less like $15 or $12 million vs the MLE at $9 million or a vet min deal to ring chase.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I hope we don't.  There a BIG difference between taking less like $15 or $12 million vs the MLE at $9 million or a vet min deal to ring chase.

Overpaying on long-term deals are a bigger deal than overpaying on short deals ala JJ Redick in Philly.

• Like 3