• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hunter vs Reddish

Peoriabird

• Moderators
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

It's not just the PER. When you watch his games, what is it that he does on a high level? If it's not much, what is his intangibles and values for a team? If that's not much, why is he always overpaid. Because he looks the part and is a great smart guy but that doesn't translate on the court

It's not just the PER.  It is everything about his play on the floor.  He does nothing better than average.  He just gets to put up a high enough volume of shots that people see his PPG and think he is way better than he is.  He would be fine a a sub-MLE role player but is garbage as one of the key people on your team.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 11:31 AM, Peoriabird said:

As I sift through many of the proposed wing trade/free agent signings scenarios, one primary assumption always rears its ugly head which is Reddish is better than Hunter and should start at small forward if a high priced guard is brought on board.  This notion kinda bothers me so I want to start a thread addressing this very issue.  I know Hunter is older and doesn't possess Reddish's guard skills but he does offer other advantages namely being bigger and stronger with a more mature game.  I know a lot of you will want to put up second half of the season offensive stats that might be in Reddish's favor to prove your point but I would still maintain that Hunter still is the more mature fundamentally sound player right now and most experts would agree outside of Atlanta.  I'm not saying that Hunter does have flaws in his game that he needs some work like his handle and off the ball defense but right now, he has fewer flaws in his game than Reddish. Bottom line is that I think that Hunter remains a better small forward option over Reddish and should receive more credit than he currently gets from fans of this team

I see Cam as our future 2 guard myself...

• Like 2

On 5/7/2020 at 3:16 PM, AHF said:

It is a lesson all of us should embrace.

I know but Barnes is like the new Jeff Green.  Eh.  If Hunter isn't way better than Barnes, TS made a massive mistake in trading up for him.

Jeff Green’s size and athleticism was perfect IMO.  How that boy don’t do nothing consistently well is beyond me lol.  

At least Harrison slashed and was a nice team defender in GS when he was an afterthought.  He got his money and became “what we thought they were, and we let em off the hook!”

I’d put Hunter’s and Cam’s feel for the game slightly ahead both those dudes already.  Let’s add Ben “I’m not a bust because I had 1 good volume 3 shooting season for Houston head ass” McLemore to that list.

Edited by benhillboy

On 5/7/2020 at 2:19 PM, AHF said:

It's not just the PER.  It is everything about his play on the floor.  He does nothing better than average.  He just gets to put up a high enough volume of shots that people see his PPG and think he is way better than he is.  He would be fine a a sub-MLE role player but is garbage as one of the key people on your team.

Who has had the better career?   Harrison Barnes or Marvin Williams?

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Who has had the better career?   Harrison Barnes or Marvin Williams?

Pretty much dead even through their age 27 seasons.  Maybe I'd give Marvin a slight edge for being the better defender?  Very, very close.  Good comparison.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Pretty much dead even through their age 27 seasons.  Maybe I'd give Marvin a slight edge for being the better defender?  Very, very close.  Good comparison.

image.png

Without looking I would have said Marvin all the way.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Without looking I would have said Marvin all the way.  

I would have too. Marvin didn't start being used well till later in his career. Every situation for Barnes has been ideal except for two years in Dallas

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I hope LP remembers this so he can bring some of this to Reddish and Hunter next season.

Ask any player who or what made them great and they’ll be able to give you a name. It might have been an AAU coach, a mentor or someone else in their professional career but there’s always someone. For Covington, that man was Lloyd Pierce. Before Pierce was leading the young, hungry souls with the Atlanta Hawks, he was an assistant coach with the 76ers.

With the way teams are structured and how seasons go, especially for playoff regulars, head coaches take on more of a macro role. It’s their job to manage the games, work the sidelines, bark at the officials, and handle press conferences. But as far as the inner-workings of rosters and daily handling of players go? That job falls on the shoulders of assistant coaches. 

The same happened in Philadelphia. Pierce took Covington under his wing and worked at the craft. He saw the level that Covington could reach but he had to tap into it, nothing would come easy. Whether it was by way of unique drills, hours and hours of film, or just down-to-earth mentoring, the two worked tirelessly. His All-Defense selection was the crowning moment in four years of blood, sweat, and tears.

“I mean just from having a coach that really put an emphasis on a lot of things,” Covington said of Pierce. “Lloyd Pierce was the best coach when it came to bringing that out of me. He gave me challenges, made me guard, he gave me opportunities to put myself in better positions to understand the different dynamics of defense. I watched elite defenders from previous years. that’s just how I became able to do a lot.”

Question: Who is the assistant coach in charge of the defense for the Hawks?

https://theathletic.com/1810597/2020/05/15/defending-for-dummies-robert-covington-explains-the-method-to-his-madness/?source=emp_shared_article

• Like 2

• Premium Member

With the way teams are structured and how seasons go, especially for playoff regulars, head coaches take on more of a macro role. It’s their job to manage the games, work the sidelines, bark at the officials, and handle press conferences. But as far as the inner-workings of rosters and daily handling of players go? That job falls on the shoulders of assistant coaches. 

So in other words, we should stop giving LP credit for Trae's development immediately! 😎

44 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So in other words, we should stop giving LP credit for Trae's development immediately! 😎

I don't think anyone developed Trae. He was bound for stardom.

Collins played a year coming off the bench under Bud and his 1st two months of splits as a starter.:

Oct. 2018/19: 14.6 PTS. 6.8 TRB,  .5 BLK

Nov. 2018/19: 21.3 PTS, 12.9 TRB. .5 BLK

His per 36 for his first two seasons as a starter:

2018/19: 23.4, 11.7 TRB,  .8 BLK

2019/20: 23.4 PTS, 11.0 TRB, 1.7 BLK

The biggest differences I see in his per 36 numbers as a starter is his blocks went up this season but his offensive rebounding took a hit.

2018/19  5.5 ORB, .8 BLK

2019/20 4.4 ORB, 1.7 BLK

His Free Throw and 3PT% both went up 2019 which were two goals he stated that he set for himself this season. I am citing Collins here because I think he is more of a project than Trae is; but Collins has improved a little in my opinion from 2018/19 to 2019/20. I think the hit he took in rebounding was due to being played at Center way to much. 2020/21 could be a great season for him as he will get to play power forward most of the time.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/collijo01.html

• Like 2

Buzzard, you are much higher on John than I am. Watching the games, I felt John was clearly better this year than last year on both ends.

Teams scheme for him better. Defensively, him at the 5 helped him in terms of his metrics. His metrics on offense has improved since moving to the 4 but his defensive metrics are vastly declined as well. 

With John at the 4, I really don't see John improving much but I do see it being easier for him to score with Dedmon as Dedmon doesn't really get in the way of John's real estate. I worry about Capela. In that regard, I think John could decline in both areas in 2020/21. Not due to John as he's has improved on both ends, especially in terms of interior defense. 

His perimeter and PnR defense is terrible as usual. With Dedmon back, he didn't play drop coverage as much and boy did it show on his metrics. I am a believer of John but he really needs the right dance partner like most bigs. 

I also disagree with your Young take. Young came in a 6 which John came in a 6.5. Trae literally took a 1.5 point jump during his rookie year. John has had a more steady improvement chart. He's actually getting extremely close to his peak if he's not already there. Trae still has a full point to go. Trae was clearly the project. 

Edited by NBASupes