• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Consensus #1 pick

Spud2nique

Squawk consensus #1   

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators

Not super confident in this one but seen enough of Edwards to see short and long-term potential there.  This is clearly not a Shaq / Duncan / LeBron type of year, though.  No instant superstars / difference makers in this draft.  Largely an intriguing pool of largely underdeveloped talent that could blossom into something impactful.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

Could the Hawks just pass? And then, if they're in a better mood later in the draft, pick a player?

Someone is going to be an all-world talent. It'll probably be pick number 37.

Who think think we are, the Spurs? (Of old..) 

It's hard to go against Edwards in this class. 

There are legit questions: 

Doesn't fit Trae

Defense is iffy

Does he help us next year when it comes to winning? Nope! 

But that ceiling is too high to pass up and having top end value is easier to trade than not having top end value. 

Edwards is not only the #1 pick for the Hawks but the #1 prospect for this class just due to the positional value for trades. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, NBASupes said:

It's hard to go against Edwards in this class

I've about given up arguing with Hawks fans on the risks of drafting a player like Edwards. FWIW, I see Donovan Mitchell upside and his verifiable NBA skill as (power) slashing.

More importantly, he's not the only player in the top part of the draft with a verifiable NBA skill.

Because the Hawks hit gold with Trae, they have the luxury of saying, "If he doesn't fit with Trae, don't select him."

12 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Doesn't fit Trae

Defense is iffy

But that ceiling is too high to pass up and having top end value is easier to trade than not having top end value. 

Edwards is not only the #1 pick for the Hawks but the #1 prospect for this class just due to the positional value for trades. 

I agree with everything you say here - frame this moment, supes it ain't happenin' again.

I still can't shake my concerns on Edwards though.  I really believe, if he pans out, it won't be until his second or third team.

43 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I agree with everything you say here - frame this moment, supes it ain't happenin' again.

I still can't shake my concerns on Edwards though.  I really believe, if he pans out, it won't be until his second or third team.

He'll  pan out with us. Our development staff is A1. You see what we did with Cam who by skill and talent was a top 2 talent in the draft but fundamentals might have been the worst I've ever seen from a NBA prospect. His fundamentals was as bad as some of the dudes I played college ball with. For a pro to have these types of issues even if its just on the offensive end was puzzling to me. He looked like a HS sophomore in terms of fundamentals. 

But the Hawks figured it out and by the end of the season, his fundamentals was on par with other one and done types in his class and his impact substantially improved. 

I have no doubt Atlanta will develop Edwards and make him a star but he will probably be in that Harden 6th man role he had in OKC. 

If he hits, you gonna have to choice between him and Trae. Not one or the other. Good luck!

But that's not a bad problem to have. Right now are choices outside of the youngins is Bembry or Graham.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 8:20 PM, NBASupes said:

Doesn't fit Trae

Defense is iffy

I'm going to push back on this a bit.  I think he's perfect compliment to Trae.  He learned how to cut well at GA and was playing the 1 and 2 there.  He played better when he was off ball and the Wheeler (?) kid was in the game.  He got better with his off ball movement.  Trae can get him much easier shots and his shooting percentages should improve.

His ability to get to the rim with Trae's spacing will be a nightmare.  He'll be able to attack the 3 on 2 with ease, if teams try to trap Trae.  Right now, Anthony's best offensive skill is getting to the rim. Anthony's threat to attack may alievate some of the traps Trae faces.

I agree with everything else.  His defensive flashes intrigue me. He could be an all around beast like Cam :D!

He's just so young and raw.  Get him on the team and send him to college park and let him get repetition too.  I don't believe he'd have a problem going down there since he's from the A. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I'm going to push back on this a bit.  I think he's perfect compliment to Trae.  He learned how to cut well at GA and was playing the 1 and 2 there.  He played better when he was off ball and the Wheeler (?) kid was in the game.  He got better with his off ball movement.  Trae can get him much easier shots and his shooting percentages should improve.

His ability to get to the rim with Trae's spacing will be a nightmare.  He'll be able to attack the 3 on 2 with ease, if teams try to trap Trae.  Right now, Anthony's best offensive skill is getting to the rim. Anthony's threat to attack may alievate some of the traps Trae faces.

I agree with everything else.  His defensive flashes intrigue me. He could be an all around beast like Cam :D!

He's just so young and raw.  Get him on the team and send him to college park and let him get repetition too.  I don't believe he'd have a problem going down there since he's from the A. 

I disagree. I've seen Trae, I've seen Edwards. I don't see a great or very good fit. I think it's a good fit for a few of the reasons you said but you overrating Edwards badly and I just don't agree. I don't think Edwards is a good shooter yet. Just average at this point. I've watched a lot of UGA games, the idea of Edwards you selling don't match what I saw. His defense is ass right now. He's horrible on that end. He shows flashes on defense like Cam showed offensive flashes in October. He might have had a play or two but it was pretty bad on offense for the most part. 

I am not drinking the Kool Aid on that fit, now, in the future, or ever. I really think it will be some Westbrook/Harden, one or the other type of ish in the future. At the end of the day, I rather have that decision to make than not have the talent at all. Anthony is much too talented to be in the GLeague, he can help you as a scorer off the bench right now. 

Edited by NBASupes