• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Looking like no Hawks until Christmas

capstone21

• Premium Member

@Spud2nique @bleachkit

There was no official avatar bet just these:

On 4/4/2020 at 7:48 AM, bleachkit said:

Still think NBA can have games in May if they use a cordoned off centralized location, with only team, coaches, doctors, and a skeleton crew of media. By then point-of-care tests are likely available. The key is testing prior to arrival, before entrance into the hermetically sealed basketball bunker.

Maybe itll be college tournament style. Every game on the same court. Make it a one-and-done, best out of three. Get creative, whatever. Just do it.

On 4/11/2020 at 8:07 PM, bleachkit said:

By May, the damn will break. It's already breaking. The doomsday models were well off the mark. The hysteria and panic is waning. Fever is setting in, cabin fever that is. The NBA will be able to resume it's season. If I'm wrong about that, I give the board full licence to a change my avatar until Jan 1st 2021. 

Then these later on:

Screenshot_20200601-105538_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200601-105615_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Eddielives said:

As much as it sucks, I’m glad teams with nothing to play for aren’t going out there as a meaningless charade. Can we just hurry up to the lottery and draft please!!!

Why not have something for lottery teams? Having Hawks basketball to look forward to would be a source of hope.

12 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Why not have something for lottery teams? Having Hawks basketball to look forward to would be a source of hope.

Pass.  Sadly, it would be worse than the all-star games (prior to this year's) in terms of lacking in competitiveness.

However, I wonder how that 70-game minimum goes in terms of teams meeting their local tv deals stipulations.  Do the lotto teams have to meet this or does this upcoming bubble scenario go towards their game numbers?  Or are they just willing to eat the losses for the non-playing teams?

Maybe they should do some 3-on-3's with the lotto teams.  Surely each could field 3 players that want to play.

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

What if, to satisfy FSN, fans and get the players some court time, they had televised intersquad scrimmages.  They'd have to be shortish because it'd be like 7 on 7.  And if you really want people to tune in then let the fans pick teams by vote.  2 captains and fans vote in real time for each pick like playground ball. 

I know it won't happen but i'd tune in for hawks scrimmages and having them televised will make bring some pride into winning or losing the game.   Hell i'd rather watch this than see the Hawks and Knicks sleep walk through an 'official game'

• Like 1

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

How.....They are trying to not bring the 30 teams to the bubble site...less people to manage, test etc. so the same issue applies even if a separate tournament of sorts.

19 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Pass.  Sadly, it would be worse than the all-star games (prior to this year's) in terms of lacking in competitiveness.

However, I wonder how that 70-game minimum goes in terms of teams meeting their local tv deals stipulations.  Do the lotto teams have to meet this or does this upcoming bubble scenario go towards their game numbers?  Or are they just willing to eat the losses for the non-playing teams?

Maybe they should do some 3-on-3's with the lotto teams.  Surely each could field 3 players that want to play.

Whatever they decide they'll have to work out something with the telly partners.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Clay Bennett delivered an impassioned soliloquy on why the league and owners needed to consider the competitive and financial plights of smaller-market teams that could be left out of the season's summer resumption in Orlando -- and the potential symbolic power of all 30 teams gathering there to play as one united association.

As the NBA moves toward a plan of inviting 22 teams to restart a truncated season in late July, sources told ESPN, Bennett spoke of exhausting ways to accommodate non-playoff teams still wanting to play. He wondered: Was there a way to safely bring all 30 teams?

The inequities facing smaller markets had to shape the league's thinking, Bennett suggested. Nine months without games -- March to December -- could have an impact on developing players, cultivating sponsorships and selling tickets in markets where franchises struggle to gain a hold.

For those teams left out of the playoffs, there has already been dialogue on the possibility of mandatory summer training camps and regional fall leagues of four to five teams that could bridge the lengthy gap between seasons, sources told ESPN. Those are ideas many teams consider vital, and there's an expectation that the NBA will raise possible scenarios such as these with the players' association, sources said.

Already, the NBA knew how passionate Atlanta owner Tony Ressler felt on the issue of the Hawks' inclusion into Orlando. He reiterated on the call after Bennett's speech that his franchise wanted to resume the season -- provided some reassurances, to the degree any were possible, that the NBA could maintain player health and safety while adding teams. Ressler did not explicitly link the Hawks participation to any path for Atlanta to the playoffs, sources said, and attendees took that to mean Ressler supported Atlanta's playing even without such a path.

• Moderators

I've been offline with work but this thread a series of personal attacks that are not tolerated on this site.  Please consider this formal warning against repeats of that behavior.  

It's hard enough to watch meaningless games when your team has been eliminated from the playoffs.  The only thing I would want to see if the Hawks did play any more games pertaining to this season would be to see the rooks getting more playing time.  But I absolutely do not want to see Trae, Collins, Huerter, or Capela go out there for nothing and possibly get hurt for no reason.  Bring on the lottery and draft!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Glad that we have a voice. I think allowing only the playoff teams to come back would further cement the image of a league of have and have nots. Covid-19 considerations notwithstanding, that isn't the look Adam Silver wants.

We, the Atlanta Hawks and fans, are solidly between a rock and a hard place.

Hawks can't make any trades.  Season and playoffs are not over.  Can't sign any free agent.  Can't make any draft pick.  And, we're apparently not invited to the new "end of season" play that the NBA is currently planning.

We can't!  We can't!  We can't!!  Drat.  This is terrible.  We all want everyone to be safe and avoid thus terrible virus.  It's not going away.  Drat!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

We, the Atlanta Hawks and fans, are solidly between a rock and a hard place.

Hawks can't make any trades.  Season and playoffs are not over.  Can't sign any free agent.  Can't make any draft pick.  And, we're apparently not invited to the new "end of season" play that the NBA is currently planning.

We can't!  We can't!  We can't!!  Drat.  This is terrible.  We all want everyone to be safe and avoid thus terrible virus.  It's not going away.  Drat!!

Hear! Hear! Is this not injustice unto our fair Hawks?

• Like 2

• Moderators

It's just plain dumb.  You either have all teams or you have only playoff teams.  Only the warriors have been eliminated at this point.   

And while i'd love to see the Hawks they really should be going straight to playoffs and doing a shortened playoffs too.    That will lessen the chances of a virus issue, lessen the time players spend in the 'bubble' and give us a more normal offseason where there is time for free agency, the draft and less of a difference in time off between the lottery and playoff teams.   

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's just plain dumb.  You either have all teams or you have only playoff teams.  Only the warriors have been eliminated at this point.   

And while i'd love to see the Hawks they really should be going straight to playoffs and doing a shortened playoffs too.    That will lessen the chances of a virus issue, lessen the time players spend in the 'bubble' and give us a more normal offseason where there is time for free agency, the draft and less of a difference in time off between the lottery and playoff teams.   

There are some reports saying the season will likely end in October. Off-season timelines are not high on their list of considerations it appears.