• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Looking like no Hawks until Christmas

capstone21

• Moderators
16 hours ago, bleachkit said:

There are some reports saying the season will likely end in October. Off-season timelines are not high on their list of considerations it appears.

The season that took a year to play.   They will regret dragging that long.  Heck with the most recent strike season they shortened to under 50 games right?  just to have some normalcy.  Why make this so damn long.  This is a season to get over with and hope for a better one next year.

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Rumor has it the Hawks want a longer Fall League for teams like them who simply just didn't get the reps to finish the season. Also those 8 teams want the lottery to be just them which makes sense. They couldn't play. Atlanta fought like hell and had allies on both sides but too many teams didn't want 30 teams including some of the non 22. 

I can tell you who one of the non 22 turncoats was...Golden State. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29256538/hawks-growth-suffer-atlanta-left-nba-return-coach-lloyd-pierce-says?platform=amp

Hawks' growth would suffer if Atlanta left out of ... - ESPN.com Glad CLP is publicly going to bat for us. Those here who cynically said the Hawks just wanted the TV money were sorely mistakenly.

I've said it is primarily about the money multiple times.  I would say that is just being realistic.  Look at the history of the NCAA, the NBA, the NFL, MLB, etc. and I think that is super clear.

That doesn't mean that this applies to individual people whether players, owners or executives.  It is a broader statement on what drives league behavior.

CLP, TS and Ressler may be all aligned that they want to return to play to give our young players develop time.  You will find individual players, owners and execs who share that view.  You'll find others with different views, including not wanting to return to play.  

What I think will drive the league's decision is a risk/reward analysis on the financial consequences of different alternatives.  I don't think an appeal to other factors will alter that course unless they can be linked to economics.

41 minutes ago, AHF said:

I've said it is primarily about the money multiple times.  I would say that is just being realistic.  Look at the history of the NCAA, the NBA, the NFL, MLB, etc. and I think that is super clear.

That doesn't mean that this applies to individual people whether players, owners or executives.  It is a broader statement on what drives league behavior.

CLP, TS and Ressler may be all aligned that they want to return to play to give our young players develop time.  You will find individual players, owners and execs who share that view.  You'll find others with different views, including not wanting to return to play.  

What I think will drive the league's decision is a risk/reward analysis on the financial consequences of different alternatives.  I don't think an appeal to other factors will alter that course unless they can be linked to economics.

Be that as it may. CLP's statement was pretty strong. They feel like they are being left out in the cold, and they aren't being shy about going public with those sentiments.

57 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

Do you guys have it in you to not watch the playoffs? Because, oddly enough, the worse the revenue, the better the Hawks' free agency situation.

I'll be watching. But I don't know how they measures ratings anymore with so many different providers and platforms.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

So NBA players are walking arm in arm with complete strangers in various protests. But, it's still too dangerous and risky to put a ball in a hoop in an empty gym. 

A - Nobody is stopped or advised to avoid an empty gym.  

B- You are taking about games without spectators in which case you are taking about a game.

C - They are out protesting a series of abuses that have cost lives and more from the black community for decades.  Slightly more important to make sure someone doesn’t get shot jogging or have their windpipe crushed against the ground until that person dies than throwing a ball through a hoop.

D - Different players have different risk tolerance and some of them are willing to lock arms in protests of abuse and others are eager to play full contact basketball.  Others aren’t.  Individual choice at play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

A - Nobody is stopped or advised to avoid an empty gym.  

B- You are taking about games without spectators in which case you are taking about a game.

C - They are out protesting a series of abuses that have cost lives and more from the black community for decades.  Slightly more important to make sure someone doesn’t get shot jogging or have their windpipe crushed against the ground until that person dies than throwing a ball through a hoop.

D - Different players have different risk tolerance and some of them are willing to lock arms in protests of abuse and others are eager to play full contact basketball.  Others aren’t.  Individual choice at play.

I'm sorry, I know you disagree with me, but why the NBA needs more precautions, safeguards and redundancies than a surgical operating room, well beyond those of seemingly any other business in America, defies all reason and rational explanation. 

I'm glad players are out marching. To protest police brutality first and foremost. But I can't help but notice the absurdity of the onerous and unprecedented expectations specifically placed on sports leagues in terms of Covid-19. People are going to stores. People are going to work. People are going to protests. Huge protests of thousands of people. No one is asking them to social distance. It would be demeaning and insulting to ask protesters to social distance. Yet we are still walking on eggshells over the return of professional sports? Some say sports is not important. Well it's no less important than other non essential business. By the time July 31 rolls around Covid-19 will be so far in the public's rearview mirror. That's two months from now. If the NBA is excluding teams like the Hawks because it will be too "risky", that is so incredibly short sighted and stupid. 

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I'm sorry, I know you disagree with me, but why the NBA needs more precautions, safeguards and redundancies than a surgical operating room, well beyond those of seemingly any other business in America, defies all reason and rational explanation. 

I'm glad players are out marching. To protest police brutality first and foremost. But I can't help but notice the absurdity of the onerous and unprecedented expectations specifically placed on sports leagues in terms of Covid-19. People are going to stores. People are going to work. People are going to protests. Huge protests of thousands of people. No one is asking them to social distance. It would be demeaning and insulting to ask protesters to social distance. Yet we are still walking on eggshells over the return of professional sports? Some say sports is not important. Well it's no less important than other non essential business. By the time July 31 rolls around Covid-19 will be so far in the public's rearview mirror. That's two months from now. If the NBA is excluding teams like the Hawks because it will be too "risky", that is so incredibly short sighted and stupid. 

Why do you believe your way of thinking is the way it should be?  If players don't want to play it's their perogative.  If they do, it's their perogative.  Like just let people make thier own adult decisions and maybe you'll be less grumpy cat?

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, bleachkit said:

So NBA players are walking arm in arm with complete strangers in various protests. But, it's still too dangerous and risky to put a ball in a hoop in an empty gym. 

Because they see acts of blatant racism virus as more deadly than CV-19....it's more about just themselves.

8 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I thought about this too. Trae's attendance in Oklahoma was so refreshing. Started by saying he was only 21 and really didn't have the wisdom others in the crowd did. He was incredibly humble and didn't want much attention. I was so proud of our hometown youngin and yet, I was terrified for him. I was proud he was there and yelling at my computer at the same time, "okay you showed up, now go take a bath in rubbing alcohol and go back into hiding!"

In all seriousness though. I was truly proud of how he conducted himself. Made it about the mission and not about himself. We have a true gem in Trae.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 3

• Moderators
9 hours ago, bleachkit said:

By the time July 31 rolls around Covid-19 will be so far in the public's rearview mirror.

You've made this type of prediction before.....

I totally agree with you about Hawks being screwed by potentially not playing a game until 2021

The whole walking on eggshells and overly cautious part of bringing basketball back has nothing to do with the nervousness of players or any of us and everything to do with money.   The only reason the NBA is jumping through all these hoops is to make sure they actually deliver the games to TV.   If they start back up and people start testing positive and they have to shut down then that's costing them.   What happens if Lebron and AD test positive?   Do you continue on without them?

• Like 1