• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Looking like no Hawks until Christmas

capstone21

I understand the NBA's perspective on not inviting the bottom of the league to play in games that count.  However, young teams that are being left are going to be at a disadvantage over time.  I wonder if the NBA could create another bubble for those teams to scrimmage against one another? Competitive basketball is the best teacher for playing the game and playing together. These are scrimmages so they don't count for record. The benefit is the bottom team, esp. Atlanta, Cleveland, and the other very young teams get to play serious, competitive ball with their teammates. 

Problems with this plan:

1. injury risk- but anytime you are on the court that is a problem 

2. There is a cost associated with it, so that may be the biggest reason for the NBA not to do it. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, frosgrim said:

I understand the NBA's perspective on not inviting the bottom of the league to play in games that count.  However, young teams that are being left are going to be at a disadvantage over time.  I wonder if the NBA could create another bubble for those teams to scrimmage against one another? Competitive basketball is the best teacher for playing the game and playing together. These are scrimmages so they don't count for record. The benefit is the bottom team, esp. Atlanta, Cleveland, and the other very young teams get to play serious, competitive ball with their teammates. 

Problems with this plan:

2. There is a cost associated with it, so that may be the biggest reason for the NBA not to do it. 

On the "plus" side, it should be much easier to do for a smaller number of people than for the 22 teams going back to competitive play.  You could even break it up into groups of 3, 4, etc. teams to keep it low and integrate teams after they are eliminated from the playoffs.  

I'd expect a main pushback would be whether players and staff are willing to live in a "bubble" when they don't have the carrot of playoffs out there.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, frosgrim said:

Problems with this plan:

I agree with this completely but as you said there is risk.  And I'm guessing that any players like VC, Teague, Bembry are no longer technically under contract.  But we should have enough who are.   

Still i think it's too many obstacles to make this happen.  Maybe teams will informally start to scrimmage.   I still say Fox sports southeast should cut a deal to televise Hawks intersquad scrimmages and have them play like regular games.   I'd watch that for sure.

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I agree with this completely but as you said there is risk.  And I'm guessing that any players like VC, Teague, Bembry are no longer technically under contract.  But we should have enough who are.   

Still i think it's too many obstacles to make this happen.  Maybe teams will informally start to scrimmage.   I still say Fox sports southeast should cut a deal to televise Hawks intersquad scrimmages and have them play like regular games.   I'd watch that for sure.

There are things they could do. The Hawks have been the most vocal about returning to play among the un-elite 8. Just throw us a bone here, damn. 

• Moderators

I really hope being left out of the season just adds motivation for next year.   

Of course i just hope there is a next season that is somewhat normal.    That's the scary part.  We can't play a whole season in a bubble.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

The NBA can come up with another plan if they really wanted to do so.  I don't see how it is that the NBA is making this process to play so difficult yet The Ultimate Fighting Championship were able to go out and secure locations and start back to work.  The UFC president stated it is costing them a lot of money to have everything in compliance with CDC standards but they still got it done.   The NBA makes more money than the UFC so it should not be that hard to rent a facility/ hotel in Arizona or Vegas and put on a mini tournament similar to Summer League play for the 8 teams left out.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, macdaddy said:

They'd rather be in the lottery i think.  

Good call. This year, however, I don't think I'd get that worked up about it.  As of now, they have a 97.6% chance to get the 14th pick.  2.4% is so low that I don't think I'd put a high value on it.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, AHF said:

Very interesting considering they are one of the teams that stand to benefit from this play-in format.

4 hours ago, AHF said:

Very interesting considering they are one of the teams that stand to benefit from this play-in format.

4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

They'd rather be in the lottery i think.  

Seems they wanted the best of both world simultaneously, a better chance to make the playoffs with the 20 team option that offered them greater odds to get into the playoffs, but still maintain their draft position if they didn't make it? or something like that.

• Like 1