• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Perpetual Preseason Watch

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

"How they frame it is almost irrelevant to us," one general manager told ESPN. "It's more a chance to get our young guys out there working with some game simulation."

Pistons coach Dwane Casey said he took an informal poll among the coaches who are not in Orlando, and he claims the majority of them prefer holding their own mini-camps.

"We'd rather do that than go to the bubble," Casey said, "because unlike those teams in Orlando, we wouldn't be playing for the same reason.

"The reason we want these mini-camps is to get our team together, to have that camaraderie, to improve and enjoy some competition. We feel we can do that safely in our own environment. We can't let these guys sit around from March 11 to December without something. It's going to hurt their careers. It's too long of a layoff."

~lw3

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Pistons coach Dwane Casey said he took an informal poll among the coaches who are not in Orlando, and he claims the majority of them prefer holding their own mini-camps.

So it seems like coaches prefer to have their own mini-camps at their own practice facilities but the NBAPA is pushing the bubble in Chicago.

Why not let teams team-up by region to scrimmage and play games if they chose with testing protocols in place: 

Hawks and Hornets

Bulls and Wolves

Cavs and Pistons

Warrors and Knicks don't seem interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So it seems like coaches prefer to have their own mini-camps at their own practice facilities but the NBAPA is pushing the bubble in Chicago.

Why not let teams team-up by region to scrimmage and play games if they chose with testing protocols in place: 

Hawks and Hornets

Bulls and Wolves

Cavs and Pistons

Warrors and Knicks don't seem interested.

Fan experience (TV). 8 teams together can make it like a mini tournament. Coaches sometimes care more about practices than exhibition games though.

Edited by bleachkit

31 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

They need to let those 8 teams play for the #1 pick.  That's really the only reason to put them in a bubble.  Have them play for a prize.

Ohhhhhhh yessss now ur talkin. I’m down with this.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yeah, can you imagine these dudes going all out to earn the organization the chance to draft their replacement?

It's for the pride of winning and showcasing your talent ( if you're a free agent ).

You don't think the young Hawks wouldn't play hard to win a tournament to get the #1 pick?  All you would have to do is toss some money to the winners, just like the NBA does with advancing to each round.  An extra 150K per player for the winning team, may do it.

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It's for the pride of winning and showcasing your talent ( if you're a free agent ).

You don't think the young Hawks wouldn't play hard to win a tournament to get the #1 pick?  All you would have to do is toss some money to the winners, just like the NBA does with advancing to each round.  An extra 150K per player for the winning team, may do it.

That's it though.....most who are FAs won't play in what amounts to a SL showcase to get young players some games. Why would someone like Teague want to play? and possibly get injured.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

For the money, maybe.  For the pride, nope.  Showcase?  Nah, these teams know what dudes are at this point.

On 7/2/2020 at 11:16 PM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

They need to let those 8 teams play for the #1 pick.  That's really the only reason to put them in a bubble.  Have them play for a prize.

Will Klay and Steph play? lol

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Is this still on tap to happen, if it is...Vince is in.

Vince Carter playing with Hawks again?

NBA legend Vince Carter recently announced his retirement, but there’s a bit of a chance we may see him on the court again before it’s all over. During a conversation on the Winging It podcast, Carter was asked about the potential ‘Delete Eight’ games involving the teams not currently in the Orlando bubble. The 43-year old swingman said: “I’ll be there. If it happens, I’m gonna go out there, work with the guys … I don’t know . I don’t know, it’s a question mark. But I’ve definitely will go out there and work out with the guys and just be a part of it. You know, I got to take advantage of that as long as I can. Because when it’s over, it’s over. So they’ve also extended me the opportunity to go out there, if it happens, to do whatever. And I just want to lend a hand.”

He supported the recent suggestion because, for young teams like his Atlanta Hawks, competition and repetition are both necessary for long-term success. The wing added that the folks currently at Disney World will enter next season with more rhythm than those who were not invited. As it stands, some players will enter 2020-21 having not played in an NBA game since March. Carter said that “unfortunately” he does not think that it will happen because there are many who did not want to participate: “From what I hear, there’s some guys out of the eight teams outside of the teams that don’t want to play either, but I’m like, well, guess what? You would have been playing in summer league right now anyway.”

– via HoopsHype

• Like 3

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

Has anyone heard any update on the "Delete 8" lately? I just did a quick search and the most recent news was from 3+ weeks ago.

My guess is they want the first bubble to get games kicked off before pivoting to the 2nd bubble. They did say it would start in September.