• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Perpetual Preseason Watch

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

A less Trae-centric offense next year? The team has been watching Miami all week, who is a very PDS in their philosophy, like Schlenk.

Getting Trae real help with the ball handler duties will go along way.  This is something LP discussed back in February:

The coach wants to create more catch-and-shoot 3-point attempts for Young. That’s overdue. Young was among the best at that as a rookie and is even better this season, but he hasn’t had many catch-and-shoot chances.

Creating more of them means playing Young off the ball more often while someone else runs the offense. Huerter already can do that. Pierce wants Reddish to do it more. The secondary benefit to Young getting more catch-and-shoot tries is he’ll use less energy playing offense, leaving more for the other end.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mike-check/pierce-plan-for-hawks-better-defense-via-elite-offense/2HR9JsFhurVtg7E35CXn8K/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Getting Trae real help with the ball handler duties will go along way.  This is something LP discussed back in February:

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mike-check/pierce-plan-for-hawks-better-defense-via-elite-offense/2HR9JsFhurVtg7E35CXn8K/

Maybe we will take a guard at #6. Miami often employs a guard heavy line up.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

That's why I had to be more specific. Nicks and minor things play more of a role during practices. Not gameday. Some guys always have nicks and they miss time in practice even if they play the games. 

Correct, that's what I'm getting at.

Every offseason its been a wrist, nagging knee, and now an ankle I guess. It has kept him from doing SL both years, and even preseason games.

Those are critical developmental minutes for a young player that we had a big role carved out for. Minutes that he could make mistakes, try to be on ball more, drive more, work on his  defensive reps, all the things we say we want him to grow in to. 

This offseason they have been at home for months not allowed to get on the court together and he bangs up his knee almost right away. Who knows when they will allow players to get on the court again after this, he may end up missing the only window of time available to have the core all together gaining chemistry on the court.

I'm just saying, he is falling behind if you ask me. Cam, if healthy, will take his spot and Huerter may get pushed to a 6th man role.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Correct, that's what I'm getting at.

Every offseason its been a wrist, nagging knee, and now an ankle I guess. It has kept him from doing SL both years, and even preseason games.

Those are critical developmental minutes for a young player that we had a big role carved out for. Minutes that he could make mistakes, try to be on ball more, drive more, work on his  defensive reps, all the things we say we want him to grow in to. 

This offseason they have been at home for months not allowed to get on the court together and he bangs up his knee almost right away. Who knows when they will allow players to get on the court again after this, he may end up missing the only window of time available to have the core all together gaining chemistry on the court.

I'm just saying, he is falling behind if you ask me. Cam, if healthy, will take his spot and Huerter may get pushed to a 6th man role.

Correction: Left ankle sprain a month ago.

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Heard I thought I saw clips of him running and shooting in individual drills as recently as a couple weeks ago

He is participating:

Kevin Huerter says he sprained his left ankle during a workout about a month ago. Says he doesn't think it will be a big issue moving forward. He's been able to participate in team activity but has been a little limited

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I hope Trae is on board. His counting stats might go down, but efficiency should go up.

He has to be. Per Huerter:

It’s something we talked about even at the beginning of this training camp is a lot of individual stats and individual accolades have to be put aside, and we have to really try to come together as a team. 

...and especially if Trae doesn't want to be viewed as 'Empty Stats guy'

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

One thing I for sure believe needs to happen is Trae running out in transition instead of running to the ball and stopping momentum. Trae ahead of the defense for an open 3 is a weapon.

Go get the ball in half court if we are stuck in mud, but otherwise make the defense scramble to get set up. 

This is where Cam can be lethal. He is a natural in transition offense with his smooth handle, finishing touch, and ability as a trail shooter. He could avg 20 per game on transition plays alone.

JC would feast on deep posts against mismatches.

Dre and Kev both can push the ball or shoot the open 3 if left wide open as well.

We are too young not to be running teams out of the gym. That's how you get up on teams fast. That's what the Lakers do, that's what GS did. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

One thing I for sure believe needs to happen is Trae running out in transition instead of running to the ball and stopping momentum. Trae ahead of the defense for an open 3 is a weapon.

Go get the ball in half court if we are stuck in mud, but otherwise make the defense scramble to get set up. 

This is where Cam can be lethal. He is a natural in transition offense with his smooth handle, finishing touch, and ability as a trail shooter. He could avg 20 per game on transition plays alone.

JC would feast on deep posts against mismatches.

Dre and Kev both can push the ball or shoot the open 3 if left wide open as well.

We are too young not to be running teams out of the gym. That's how you get up on teams fast. That's what the Lakers do, that's what GS did. 

We gotta get smarter without the ball. Most threes that are open will be in the half court. 

• Like 2