Hawks Perpetual Preseason Watch

lethalweapon3

On 8/8/2020 at 4:08 PM, bleachkit said:

NBPA are not big fans of basketball. They seem to try to nix any deal or arrangement that involves the actual playing of basketball.

On this, it seems we agree.  They've been on a 5-6 year campaign to get paid more but not play as much.  Sadly the "commissioner" has been complicit the whole way, which is something I cannot understand since he's supposed to be the owners' rep.

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge them the money they make.  However, they seem to be of the opinion that the money's owed whether they perform or not.  With guaranteed contracts, it basically is.  However (again), that completely sharts on the fans.  Maybe fans should unionize and stop buying NBA stuff until they re-focus on making sure the product is up to the standards we deserve.

I honestly think there should be some kind of ticket insurance that refunds fans if certain players sit for "rest".

17 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The longer we're off the more next season looks like another 'growing' season for our young team.  

Maybe.  As @Spud2nique so astutely pointed out, it depends on how the roster gets constructed.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I mean i'm probably at the extreme end of cautious with covid but if they are doing daily testing then why all the limits?

Has to be something the NBAPA is pushing for.  Why this extreme, I can't even guess.

• Like 1

I will say one thing. I mean the chances were most likely that one of the ousted 8 gets the first pick. That better be the case now. I’m sorry but if the Wiz, Pelicans, Spurs, Suns, Kings or Grizz  wins it it’s bs.

Ill take it one step further, the top 3 in the draft better be from the ousted 8. Rig it like you always do NBA.

• Moderators
19 hours ago, bleachkit said:

An acknowledgement of Covid alarmism from @AHF

More trying work through the rationale given the public statements we've seen from our players who are publicly begging for more activity and the demonstrated effectiveness of the NBA bubble to date.  When a substantial portion of your membership wants to do something and you've shown you know how to do it safely, I don't understand why you don't make that happen (especially if you do it on a voluntary basis where people can opt out to protect what I think is a minority of your membership who wouldn't want to participate).  

Layer on top of that the fact that the NBAPA already approved a level of activity that greatly exceeds what is being discussed here and I'm just struggling to understand the thought process behind this.

2 hours ago, AHF said:

More trying work through the rationale given the public statements we've seen from our players who are publicly begging for more activity and the demonstrated effectiveness of the NBA bubble to date.  When a substantial portion of your membership wants to do something and you've shown you know how to do it safely, I don't understand why you don't make that happen (especially if you do it on a voluntary basis where people can opt out to protect what I think is a minority of your membership who wouldn't want to participate).  

Layer on top of that the fact that the NBAPA already approved a level of activity that greatly exceeds what is being discussed here and I'm just struggling to understand the thought process behind this.

Probably has to do with money, leverage, legal one-upmanship, and other things we aren't privy too. 

• Premium Member

From the JC Article:

"It's frustrating," Collins says. "We try to set things up. We think we're getting the go-ahead to try them, and then it's canceled. We ask if we can add more people so we can have, say, a 3-on-3 or 4-on-4 game, but just getting an answer takes forever. We get it lined up, but then we hear, 'No, you can't do it.'"It's stressful when everything keeps getting stalled like that. It's always, 'We'll see how things look next week,' or, 'We gotta get on another call with the players' association.'"

"COVID has caused no shortage of problems," Collins explains. "One of them is the possibility we could be off for nine months. That's too long. We're not in the playoffs, summer league has been canceled and training camp is pushed back. We need some help, but we aren't really getting it.

"We're just innocent bystanders waiting to see what happens."

Collins says he'll continue to watch some of the NBA bubble playoffs but that he is done beating himself up and playing the "what if" game. He is looking forward, not back.

"This year, we weren't ready," he says. "Next year, we will be."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29682987/from-afar-watching-basketball-john-collins?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

The team expects 10 players off the roster to participate, as well as five Skyhawks players (the list of Skyhawks players who will join the Hawks is still in the works).

My guess at the 10 Hawks players:

Trae, Huerter, Reddish, Hunter, Collins, Capela, Bruno, Goodwin, Bembry, Skal.

Charlie Brown from the Skyhawks is my lone guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2