• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Perpetual Preseason Watch

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

My guess is they want the first bubble to get games kicked off before pivoting to the 2nd bubble. They did say it would start in September.

I wonder how many of the 8 want to play though.   Didn't detroit want no part of it?

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I wonder how many of the 8 want to play though.   Didn't detroit want no part of it?

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

The Warriors don’t. Knicks probably don’t.

Yep Warriors (vet players that are recovering) and Knicks (too many FAs that may not want to play).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

My guess is they want the first bubble to get games kicked off before pivoting to the 2nd bubble. They did say it would start in September.

Watching the Magic vs Clippers scrimmage right now has me really missing Hawks basketball. Hope they can figure out how to let us get some games in.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Every team that doesn't want to participate should make it logistically more simple to create a bubble environment for the "delete" teams.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

But the fact that they let these other teams in who have no legit shot at the playoffs were it not for this crazy 'within 4 games' rule makes it hard to stomach.   

It should have been a shorter list.  It is almost certain this was a deal worked between the owners where someone like the Suns got special consideration to get the votes needed to pass it with overwhelming support.  Doesn't make sense to have the #8 seed and then the next 5 teams all invited in the West.  (Note that the Wizards were not even close to within 4 games.)

• Premium Member

Not Good! 🤨

The NBPA, sources say, has been open to the idea of having in-market bubbles for individual team minicamps. So far, those eight teams have only been able to do 1-on-0 workouts in the facility with up to two coaches at a time.

At its core, with most of the eight teams having shared concerns about the impact of players going all these months without doing development work and five-on-five action, this is a question of risk vs. reward. Yet while there had been extensive discussion about the idea of scrimmages in a possible second bubble being televised, the possible upside of that business element is paltry compared to the revenue generated by the forthcoming playoff action in Orlando (as The Athletic reported previously, approximately $900 million in national television money alone). The dangers, meanwhile, are more concerning than ever as the coronavirus continues to spread across America.

But the basketball impact is real. 

• Moderators

It's over.  I honestly think there were teams out of this 8 that fought against going to the bubble and now regret it.   I don't have any facts at all about it but i think the Warriors wanted no part of the bubble but now they are talking big about being left out.   I could be wrong.   

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's over.  I honestly think there were teams out of this 8 that fought against going to the bubble and now regret it.   I don't have any facts at all about it but i think the Warriors wanted no part of the bubble but now they are talking big about being left out.   I could be wrong.   

The Warriors and Knicks don't want one a bubble so....

• Premium Member

Yet after our report on Tuesday detailed the widespread pessimism about a second bubble location being created or in-market camps being allowed for those eight, with front office executives deeply concerned about the prospect of their players going eight-plus months without playing in an NBA-approved team setting, sources say NBA officials made it clear during a Wednesday call with governors that they are still trying to find a solution here. The problem, of course, is that almost every idea that has been considered comes with the kind of COVID-19 risk that isn’t seen as worthy of the hoops reward.

Except, perhaps, this one: What if those eight teams joined the rest of their colleagues inside the Walt Disney World bubble for training after the eliminated teams departed? Sources say the NBA has been exploring that possibility for quite some time now, and that the idea was raised most recently on the aforementioned governors call. And in some ways, it makes perfect sense.

As NBPA executive director Michele Roberts has made clear all along, the union has been skeptical of any basketball setting that doesn’t match the Orlando approach in terms of precautions and protocol. But starting on Aug. 17, when six teams go home and the 16-team playoffs begin, space will be opening up inside this three-hotel, three-court, (seemingly) COVID-free community they have created.

Consider the vacancy timeline from there: From 16 teams to eight on Sept. 1 (the start of the second round, when players are allowed to bring family into the bubble for the first time), four teams on Sept. 15 (start of the conference finals), and two teams on Sept. 30 (the start of the Finals, with a possible Game 7 on Oct. 13).

No matter what ultimately happens here, this much is clear: Someone is bound to be upset, whether it’s the general managers who have been hoping that the NBA changes its stance about non-playing staff being able to bring in family, the Delete Eight teams that have every reason to worry about their place in the program or some other faction that has its own gripes. Such is life for NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, who has done a wondrous job with this pandemic project to this point yet has plenty of work left to do.

On 8/4/2020 at 4:14 PM, lethalweapon3 said:

I'm like the last person who will promote anybody else going down to Flah-dee-dah these days. But in a few weeks, there ought to be 14 fewer teams down in the Bubble, and MLS will be outta there soon, too. I can't imagine we're crimping on the Yacht Club's backlog of visitors right now. Can't we just stuff the Waiting Eight teams that genuinely want to scrimmage down in the Bubble, simultaneous with the NBA conference semifinals?

~lw3

Good call!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Prediction:  Here is your next issue.  

"We teams that just got eliminated will be at a competitive disadvantage if you send us home and let the ousted teams play.  We* want to stay.  It would be unfair to force us out and the let the ousted teams in."

* - We doesn't mean all players, some of whom would be very happy to go home, and may not mean all teams.  But I anticipate hearing this narrative as an objection to slotting Atlanta and others in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AHF said:

Prediction:  Here is your next issue.  

"We teams that just got eliminated will be at a competitive disadvantage if you send us home and let the ousted teams play.  We* want to stay.  It would be unfair to force us out and the let the ousted teams in."

* - We doesn't mean all players, some of whom would be very happy to go home, and may not mean all teams.  But I anticipate hearing this narrative as an objection to slotting Atlanta and others in.

Well, creating a new bubble is not happening. Too expensive and logistically difficult. Delete 8 are going to the established bubble in Orlando, if anything. But I feel like there is a lot of back room NBA politics going on with this delete 8 thing, and how certain teams are being treated. It feels very David Stern-ish.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Well, creating a new bubble is not happening. Too expensive and logistically difficult. Delete 8 are going to the established bubble in Orlando, if anything. But I feel like there is a lot of back room NBA politics going on with this delete 8 thing, and how certain teams are being treated. It feels very David Stern-ish.

Youre probably smelling all the vascillations they went through to make sure zion was in the bubble.

How long are they gonna prop up the PeliCan'ts before admitting they need to move that franchise to seattle?

• Premium Member

Is the Orlando bubble a possible destination for the eight teams left out of the restart to run offseason training camps once the first batch of 22 teams are eliminated?

The NBPA has no interest in that idea, sources said. It's a non-starter. The inevitable solution for the eight teams left out of Orlando: The NBA and NBPA agreeing upon voluntary workouts in the team facilities, sources said.

The NBPA won't agree to mandatory reporting for players on the eight teams outside of the restart but will eventually allow it on a voluntary level, sources said. Several of the teams are frustrated and angry over how far they feel they're falling behind the teams in the bubble, and are aggressively voicing that to the league office.

"We are looking at nine months between games now, and if the season is delayed, we are looking at possibly a full year between competitive games," one GM told ESPN on Friday. "That's unprecedented in the history of the sport. We deserve help here."