• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Perpetual Preseason Watch

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
On 7/22/2020 at 1:32 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

My guess is they want the first bubble to get games kicked off before pivoting to the 2nd bubble. They did say it would start in September.

Yeah I think I heard sept 14- oct 6

but I’m not completely sure.

• Premium Member

Atlanta hasn’t had the opportunity to play together as a team since March 11. Even the teams that didn’t end up making the playoffs were allowed three scrimmages and eight “regular-season” games before starting their offseason. But Atlanta, Golden State, Minnesota, Cleveland, Chicago, Charlotte, Detroit and New York have been left with individual workouts for a few hours per day.

That changes in two weeks. Starting Sept. 21 through Oct. 6, those eight teams are allowed one hour of five-on-five scrimmage time per day as negotiated by the NBA and NBA Players Association. The one hour of five-on-five is the only constraint teams have, so they will still be able to get four-on-four, three-on-three and two-on-two work as they see fit. Starting this upcoming week, teams will begin ramping up testing at their facilities while still holding those individual workouts.

When workouts expand, the eight teams will have to enter their own mini-bubble. The Hawks will have 15 players — a collection of Hawks and College Park Skyhawks — and 25 team personnel members living in a hotel in Atlanta. Upon check-in, the 40 members will quarantine for 48 hours, and each person will have to receive two negative coronavirus tests to begin practice. After that, they’ll be tested daily to monitor their health.

While this added practice time is practically leftover crumbs for these eight teams, it’s at least something.

“I think that because we were one of the eight teams that didn’t get to go to Orlando and didn’t get those eight games and three scrimmages — there’s no way to replicate that in what we’re getting,” general manager Travis Schlenk said. “At the same time, that decision was made to take 22 teams. This is what we’re getting in return, so we’re going to take it and get the most out of it in return. There’s no way to replicate what those 22 teams got, though. I wish we would have had the opportunity because it would have been great for our young guys to go down there and get more playing time.”

This practice time is potentially the only work Atlanta is going to get as a team until training camp begins for next season. After Oct. 6, teams will go back to individual workouts for the foreseeable future. The Athletic’s Shams Charania reported on Thursday that next season won’t start until Christmas Day at the earliest. It’s likely going to be delayed even further to allow the teams participating in the NBA Finals, which is scheduled through mid-October, to have some downtime.The mini-bubble will be the first time this offseason that Schlenk and coach Lloyd Pierce will get to be around the team in a practice setting. The feedback Schlenk has received from those who have been in the facility has included a lot of frustration with the limited work they’re able to do and the unknowns of what’s next.

“I just think it’s a monotonous routine,” Schlenk said. “We’ve been doing these one-on-zero (workouts) since May. We’ve given the players and staff a few weeks off here and there just so they can do something else. I think the hardest part for everyone involved is just not knowing.

Trae Young is also expected to participate in the Hawks’ mini-bubble experience. Young has not been in Atlanta as much as other Hawks players have, as he has worked out in his hometown of Norman, Okla., Las Vegas and Los Angeles. Young did play in a semi-professional basketball game in Norman a few months ago, which is against NBA rules and is subject to a fine. Young was instead given a warning by the league, according to sources, but that hasn’t stopped others with the Hawks and players around the league from trying to get some non-individual basketball workouts in during this prolonged offseason. De’Andre Hunter and Brandon Goodwin have been spotted working out at a facility together in Atlanta the past few weeks.

• Like 2

Literally Efff the NBA.

We can't practice together for months while other teams are getting major work in the bubble.

And then you want to make everyone wait even longer to start back because the playoff teams need more rest.

You are literally going out of your way to accommodate a few teams at the top while sacrificing essentially a full Year of competition for the other teams. Its unbalanced and unfair and ultimately diminishes your product as a whole. 

I really hope Ressler say screw it and flies the entire team overseas to play exhibition games against teams in other leagues (Ones that arent completely ravaged by shut downs). And it can be completely voluntary on the player's behalf,  but bankrolled by our ownership. It could be a Trae Young tour and actually make some decent revenue if marketed correctly.

CBA is about to be ripped apart anyway so who cares about the rules we are breaking. We will be back in time for whatever season they decide to put together after LeBron says he is ready to play again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Literally Efff the NBA.

We can't practice together for months while other teams are getting major work in the bubble.

And then you want to make everyone wait even longer to start back because the playoff teams need more rest.

You are literally going out of your way to accommodate a few teams at the top while sacrificing essentially a full Year of competition for the other teams. Its unbalanced and unfair and ultimately diminishes your product as a whole. 

I really hope Ressler say screw it and flies the entire team overseas to play exhibition games against teams in other leagues (Ones that arent completely ravaged by shut downs). And it can be completely voluntary on the player's behalf,  but bankrolled by our ownership. It could be a Trae Young tour and actually make some decent revenue if marketed correctly.

CBA is about to be ripped apart anyway so who cares about the rules we are breaking. We will be back in time for whatever season they decide to put together after LeBron says he is ready to play again.

To be fair, it's not so much the league that is restricting us but the players association, which always fights for more money and less play/practice. The players association is who nixed the plan of the delete 8 going down to Orlando for scrimmages after teams left.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Literally Efff the NBA.

FYI...per NBAPA

Michele Roberts Expects Next Season To Start In 2021 With Hybrid Bubble Environment

Michele Roberts commented on what she currently expects the next NBA season to look like amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

"I do think we’ll have a season, but I don’t think it will begin in December," said Roberts. "Some bubblelike environment may be necessary. I suspect that we will have a hybrid environment, maybe with division bubbles that last for a certain number of months, and then we stop. But the concept of putting our players in a bubble for an entire season is unrealistic.

"There will be a revenue drop. I do see a possibility of there being some reopening of some arenas. But if we’re lucky we will see 25 percent of the revenue that ordinarily comes through gate receipts, etc. That’s optimistic. Hopefully we can soften the blow, but I don’t see us packing arenas."

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 9/11/2020 at 4:51 PM, RedDawg#8 said:

I really hope Ressler say screw it and flies the entire team overseas to play exhibition games against teams in other leagues (Ones that arent completely ravaged by shut downs).

Where are US players allowed to travel that have real basketball?