• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Defensive Possession Types (NBA.com play stats)

mrhonline

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, NBASupes said:

3&D forwards can defend the perimeter and that's a WIP for Hunter at this time. 

This is a fair point. At the 4, it's slightly less of a concern, but I don't think that should be the long-term plan.

On 7/14/2020 at 9:51 AM, AHF said:

So the Y axis is the efg% that the player gave up on those plays, correct?  (I.e., Dedmon was a god defending post-ups and brutal in isolations?)

So The PnR is not a 2 player play but a 4 player play.  You have the Ball Handler, The PnR, The offensive spot up shooter and then you have offensive dump off.

As for the defense, they are all in isolation position when this play sets up except for the 2 defending the pnr (switch or not to switch). The center is usually in isolation defending the dump off and waiting to offer help on the drive/roll.

After the pick, the roller heads to the basket. Because of the spacing, it's important for someone to leave their man and pick up the roller. Dedmon (and Len) were both extremely slow footed in these situations. Our weak side help (G/F combos) would be first up to stop the roller. We were very, very very bad at this the last 2 years.  Partly because we've been trying to shore up our 3pt defense and partly because the players are very young and you don't play a lot of pnr defense in high school/college/aau. You play zone.

Dedmon in particular would try to cheat his part on defense and step into the lane early to head off the pnr player. Still in isolation with the dump off and lacking Len's length/height, he would leave his man too early to cheat and get burned by the ball handler passing behind him. This happened a few possessions a game with him and probably jacked up his iso defense numbers.  Blame it on the young fellers playing late reaction defense and partly on Dedmon.  Also, Dedmon sagged off players outside 15 feet to defend against the drive/post. He got burned on set shot 2's/3's regularly by opposing bigs who can shoot.

I complained about this often to the T.V. the last few years. I am still waiting on a response.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/14/2020 at 10:42 PM, NBASupes said:

After seeing Tatum’s first then checking Trae I already can see this dude’s metric is rock solid.  I love the cumulative spherical view of a players game but off ball proficiency on both ends has to be factored in as well.  I think the dude who coined “floor raising” and the WOWY score explored this first correct?

As I suspected you probably can’t find a wheel more complete than Jimmy Butler.  Ben Simmons’ is probably up there too.

Edited by benhillboy

This metric looks at mid .300 percentile volume three point shooting the same way I do: useless. Check that boy Luka’s wheel lol.

Im fascinated by the guys who have higher overall defensive than defensive activity (Middleton).  It speaks to the value of size and IQ, leading to versatility I’m guessing.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member
On 7/14/2020 at 12:10 PM, NBASupes said:

Young has very good lateral quickness. His team defense is Jamal Crawford but without length status and it's a killer. Same for Parker who isn't bad in the direct action but horrible outside of it. This is probably the biggest reason I am against Edwards as our pick. Trae and Ant can't play together on defense. They would kill us. 

Yup, Trae is handicapped because of his wingspan. If he was just a tad longer he would immediately be ok on defense, but the fact he can't really contest any shot effectively is a huge problem that the Hawks are going to need to build around. 

• Premium Member
On 7/14/2020 at 1:19 PM, AHF said:

Hunter's numbers off screen and vs post ups and spot ups are surprisingly bad.  Expected his iso number to look great which is nice to see.  Surprised to see how good Collins' iso number is.

Not surprising to me, I think he has been on the whole pretty terrible this year on both offense and defense. 

3 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Yup, Trae is handicapped because of his wingspan. If he was just a tad longer he would immediately be ok on defense, but the fact he can't really contest any shot effectively is a huge problem that the Hawks are going to need to build around. 

That's a handicap I am ok with. Because I feel if he had a longer wingspan, he wouldn't have the uncanny ability to get in his shooting pocket from a dribbling motion instantaneously, as he does with ease. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 4:08 PM, warcore said:

That's a handicap I am ok with. Because I feel if he had a longer wingspan, he wouldn't have the uncanny ability to get in his shooting pocket from a dribbling motion instantaneously, as he does with ease. 

Great point.  It gives him the best floater this side of Tony Parker as well.  I’m not cool with the handicap tho lol.