• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Bud was never that good of a coach

NBASupes

He never changes what he does.

Teams download it and figure out how to beat you in the playoffs. 

I been telling fools like 21 that coach Bud is fool's gold and always have been.

Regular season coach superstar

Playoffs, he's worthless

Him and that stupid ass system 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I been telling fools like 21 that coach Bud is fool's gold and always have been.

Playoffs, he's worthless

On this, we are in lockstep.

Check out the latest installment of I.S.E.

He has the unquestioned MVP surrounded by a ready-made contending team.  No excuses.

They could still pull it out, and with the talent they have they should, but thjs song looks really familiar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

On this, we are in lockstep.

He has the unquestioned MVP surrounded by a ready-made contending team.  No excuses.

They could still pull it out, and with the talent they have they should, but thjs song looks really familiar.

I remember going through this and everyone would just joke that we are pretenders. 

I keep saying this shit! It's great that you are tremendous at executing possession by possession in the regular season when people aren't playing that hard all of the time but everyone is trying to execute in the playoffs possession by possession. You gotta coach and shit. Mix it up like Nick Nurse. You can tell Bud is a career assistant and not this coaching superstar. 

He's a tactician, very good at player development if you fit his system and he's great at the feel for the game but he rigid, doesn't have a backup plan, and just doesn't have a championship feel as a coach. Some guys aren't even that good at coaching but they have that feel like Doc, Rudy T, Lue, and Erik. S

13 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's a tactician, very good at player development if you fit his system and he's great at the feel for the game but he rigid, doesn't have a backup plan, and just doesn't have a championship feel as a coach. Some guys aren't even that good at coaching but they have that feel like Doc, Rudy T, Lue, and Erik. S

I wouldnt call him a tactician for all the reasons you listed, he has a great scheme and knows how to coach it up. An Xs and Os guy and that's about it.  

I also wouldn't call him a great player developer. After Quinn Snyder left you saw all our guys start to level off and/or regress. He was the real player development guy. He turned DeMarre into a paid starter. I cant name anyone that Bud developed on his own. 

47 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

The top teams have not been playing that well in the bubble. No home court for anyone, and no travel, maybe it has a neutralizing/equalizing effect. 

The Lakers probably have the best home court advantage too. LA, superstars in the front row to show out for, etc.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Playoffs, he's worthless

FIRST!!!! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kg01 said:

Are you self promoting? Cuz you can’t technically do that..u lil b...I’m sorry I’m just jack hyped up and feel like it’s spud against the fkin world 🌎. Ya, I said Bud was overrated and the Utah Jazz of regular season coaches...

Ah f it.

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Are you self promoting? Cuz you can’t technically do that..u lil b...I’m sorry I’m just jack hyped up and feel like it’s spud against the fkin world 🌎. Ya, I said Bud was overrated and the Utah Jazz of regular season coaches...

Ah f it.

I'm looking for a sponsor for I.S.E.

Think I can get Amber Rose to tattoo it on her forehead?

• Haha 1

• Moderators

I think this is premature to bury him.  First, I've already stated a couple of times that this post-season is very abnormal and should be prone to more upsets.  It is not a continuation of the regular season.  Second, it is one game so far so agree with @JTB that it is too early to get too worked up.

Losing 4-2 in the ECF to the eventual NBA champions last season is nothing to be ashamed of.  Our ECF (only ECF in our history) was much more embarrassing but I don't think that was a situation where we could have won it with a key adjustment or two.  

Bud burned some of his goodwill with me with the selfish way he left the team and hearing this week that JC didn't get the playing time he deserved as a rookie because Bud was butting heads with Schlenk doesn't help.  So I'm not rooting for the guy in the way I would with other former Hawks but I still have a healthy respect for his coaching ability.  

To me he is clearly not on the level of someone like Pops but he is somewhere in the second or third tier of the league's best coaches.  Milwaukee could do (and has done) much worse.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

The guy has taken two different teams to the East finals. "Worthless in the playoffs" is a hell of a stretch.

Weren't both of those teams 60 win #1 seeds? You are supposed to get to the eastern conference finals when you have home court against bottom seeds in your first two series. The Hawks team struggled to get by Brooklyn and almost got ousted by freaking 40 year old Paul Pierce and Washington then got clobber smacked by the Cavs. The Bucks were upset and handled by the Raps. Both teams underperformed massively according to expectations. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Weren't both of those teams 60 win #1 seeds? You are supposed to get to the eastern conference finals when you have home court against bottom seeds in your first two series. The Hawks team struggled to get by Brooklyn and almost got ousted by freaking 40 year old Paul Pierce and Washington then got clobber smacked by the Cavs. The Bucks were upset and handled by the Raps. Both teams underperformed massively according to expectations. 

I don't think this is the right way to look at it.  Being the #1 seed doesn't guarantee you a trip to the finals and make the season worthless if you don't.  It is not particularly unusual for a #1 seed to get bounced.  

The prior season (2018), for example, the #1 Seed 59 Win Raptors didn't win a game other than in the first round of the playoffs and the 65 win #1 Seed Rockets lost in the WCF.  

In 2017, the #1 Seed in the East got beat 4-1 in the ECF.

Etc.

For me, Bud coaching two different teams to #1 seeds and the ECF should be a positive in his rating.  Atlanta didn't look to be even in the discussion as a true contender before the season started and with the benefit of hindsight seems to clearly not have had the horses to be there.  Milwaukee hadn't won a playoff series since the 2000-01 season when Bud got them to the ECF and that team had good talent but nothing like prime Heatles or GSW or Kobe/Shaq Lakers or anything where you'd say they are clear favorites if you take coaching out the equation.

Getting a team to the #1 seed is a mark of good coaching and making the ECF is generally a very successful season.  Had the GSW or LeBron's team gotten run off the rails then I'd call that a massive failure to meet expectations.  Every other team in the league for most of the past decade should never have had expectations of NBA finals or bust.  They just haven't had the talent edge to earn that level of expectations.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think this is the right way to look at it.  Being the #1 seed doesn't guarantee you a trip to the finals and make the season worthless if you don't.  It is not particularly unusual for a #1 seed to get bounced.  

The prior season (2018), for example, the #1 Seed 59 Win Raptors didn't win a game other than in the first round of the playoffs and the 65 win #1 Seed Rockets lost in the WCF.  

In 2017, the #1 Seed in the East got beat 4-1 in the ECF.

Etc.

For me, Bud coaching two different teams to #1 seeds and the ECF should be a positive in his rating.  Atlanta didn't look to be even in the discussion as a true contender before the season started and with the benefit of hindsight seems to clearly not have had the horses to be there.  Milwaukee hadn't won a playoff series since the 2000-01 season when Bud got them to the ECF and that team had good talent but nothing like prime Heatles or GSW or Kobe/Shaq Lakers or anything where you'd say they are clear favorites if you take coaching out the equation.

Getting a team to the #1 seed is a mark of good coaching and making the ECF is generally a very successful season.  Had the GSW or LeBron's team gotten run off the rails then I'd call that a massive failure to meet expectations.  Every other team in the league for most of the past decade should never have had expectations of NBA finals or bust.  They just haven't had the talent edge to earn that level of expectations.  

Yes, but the fact reamins getting to the ECF as the #1 seed isn't an accomplishment as far as playoff performance is concerned.  If you ask a Hawks fans in 2015 or a Bucks fan in 2019 if they'd be happy with a ECF exit few would say yes. In the grand scheme of things of course both of those seasons are successes but keep in mind we are talking about playoff performance exclusively, no one is disputing Bud is a great regular season coach.

Also, that Raptor team you bring up fired their coach after not making the ECF despite him leading them to the most succesful stretch in franchise history by a mile, so it's not a great example of the point you are trying to make.  The Bucks run last year was disapointing, not because they lost to a great Toronto team but because they were handled by the Raptors despite having home court advantage and having the league's MVP losing four in a row after taking a 2-0 lead. Bud hasn't shown much in the playoffs routinely failing to make in game adjustments when his team is is down in big games, and that has been a fact so far. 

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Yes, but the fact reamins getting to the ECF as the #1 seed isn't an accomplishment as far as playoff performance is concerned.  If you ask a Hawks fans in 2015 or a Bucks fan in 2019 if they'd be happy with a ECF exit few would say yes. In the grand scheme of things of course both of those seasons are successes but keep in mind we are talking about playoff performance exclusively, no one is disputing Bud is a great regular season coach.

Also, that Raptor team you bring up fired their coach after not making the ECF despite him leading them to the most succesful stretch in franchise history by a mile, so it's not a great example of the point you are trying to make.  The Bucks run last year was disapointing, not because they lost to a great Toronto team but because they were handled by the Raptors despite having home court advantage and having the league's MVP losing four in a row after taking a 2-0 lead. Bud hasn't shown much in the playoffs routinely failing to make in game adjustments when his team is is down in big games, and that has been a fact so far. 

That Toronto coach was fired after not winning a game outside of the first round.  Bud won the second round series and several games in the ECF.  My point, which apparently I didn't make clearly, was that #1 seeds aren't necessarily prohibitive favorites to win the conference in the playoffs.  It is not unusual to see them lose when they aren't the most talented roster in the league.

Do you think Milwaukee was clearly a better team than Toronto?  If not, why would it would it be a "massive disappointment" to lose to a team that is similar or better?

For the Hawks, I would say if you put Pops in as coach of the 2014-15 team and play the season 200 times that we win the title 0 of those times and probably don't even make the finals except in the scenarios where LeBron goes down with a season ending injury.  We were outclassed on talent more than outcoached. 

• Like 2