• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I like Deni, but can some Hawks fans tell me why some of them love him

NBASupes

He's a PF, Obi is the best one in the draft and plays our current style of Basketball. 

He plays like Toni Kukoc. Not a bad thing but our system is PDS or movement based and while he has some PDS quality, he's not a 3 and can't guard them so what's the intrigue. Please don't mention Luka and him, they play nothing alike. I like Deni, I really do but as a PF, if Toppin is on the board, I see zero reason to take Deni over him when both are 4s and Toppin is superior at that position. That's like taking Frank N over Donovan Mitchell. It's stupid! 

I've seen Deni attached to us a couple of times and I like it better than Jarrett Culver last year but not if Toppin is available if we are going to draft a PF. 

Edited by NBASupes

14 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I think he’s a bust so I can’t help ya out there 😂. Ok not a bust but not a top 8 guy to me.

I don't think he is a bust, just your average role player in today's NBA but if you pass on much better player at the same position, that's a horrible decision 

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's a PF, Obi is the best one in the draft and plays our current style of Basketball. 

He plays like Toni Kukoc. Not a bad thing but our system is PDS or movement based and while he has some PDS quality, he's not a 3 and can't guard them so what's the intrigue. Please don't mention Luka and him, they play nothing alike. I like Deni, I really do but as a PF, if Toppin is on the board, I see zero reason to take Deni over him when both are 4s and Toppin is superior at that position. That's like taking Frank N over Donovan Mitchell. It's stupid! 

I've seen Deni attached to us a couple of times and I like it better than Jarrett Culver last year but not if Toppin is available if we are going to draft a PF. 

But is he a PF? Thought he's more SF that can play PF.

I've see his height listed at 6'-7", 6'-8" and 6'-9"

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Love? I don't know that he's loved like that on here. He came in just inside the top 10 at #9 in the SquawkPoll.

I dont love anybody in this draft. I like a lot of them though..They all have Flaws..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I dont love him, but ....

Hes a high IQ player..Hes a good playmaker..Hes a great passer in the P&R..Can handle the ball... He has good form on his shot...Hes pretty good in the post...

Not a great defender, but he communicates on D..

Btw,  Deni is a combo forward..

Also, do you think Obi can guard anybody?

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

What I like - he's a SF/PF with size, passing/playmaking skills and a decent handle, we don't have that on our roster. He can lead a fast break and facilitate from his position. 

What I don't like - Defense, 3pt and freethrow shooting.

Flawes like everyone else.

29 minutes ago, terrell said:

I dont love him, but ....

Hes a high IQ player..Hes a good playmaker..Hes a great passer in the P&R..Can handle the ball... He has good form on his shot...Hes pretty good in the post...

Not a great defender, but he communicates on D..

Btw,  Deni is a combo forward..

Also, do you think Obi can guard anybody?

I think Obi is an offensive dynamo who's great with the ball or without the ball, great passing potential, an elite finisher, elite touch, good shooter at every level and shows as much defensive skill for a big as Deni does. Deni is a bad defender for the NBA level. You can say Obi is as well but offensively, there is a massive gap. The same gap between these two is the same offensive gap between Trae Young and Collin Sexton

Deni is only a combo on offense, on defense, he's a 4 and a bad defender at the 4 and a bad defender at the 3. He's a backup level role player with some good traits. He's worth drafting to me in the top 10 but we need to not do some stupid shit again like we did when we passed on Luka or trade a lot of assets for De'Andre Hunter

Edited by NBASupes

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I think Obi is an offensive dynamo who's great with the ball or without the ball, great passing potential, an elite finisher, elite touch, good shooter at every level and shows as much defensive skill for a big as Deni does. Deni is a bad defender for the NBA level. You can say Obi is as well but offensively, there is a massive gap. The same gap between these two is the same offensive gap between Trae Young and Collin Sexton

I like Obi as well. Not as much as you, but I like him...It all depends on where we pick..

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Who would you say his Deni's American comp?

Nick Anderson with more 3+ height and size and a lot less defensive ability. Defensively a 4, offensively, he can play on the perimeter. He's going to be an unique offensive player for sure. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

Defensively a 4, offensively, he can play on the perimeter. He's going to be anunique offensive player for sure.

Then why cant we just call him a stretch 4 and be done with it? Especially in the small ball era we are in its not uncommon or a liability for guys with his size and skillset to be run out there at the 4.  Think Gallinari

Edited by RedDawg#8

I posted this elsewhere but think it should go here as well. He has grown on me but I do worry about his defense.

Avdija is a 6’8 combo forward who offers a dribble-pass-shoot skill set that should transition nicely into the NBA. He solidified his case as a top-10 prospect during his run to MVP honors in the Israeli league with Maccabi Tel Aviv. Avdija is effective in transition with grab-and-go rebound ability, impressive passing vision, and the aggression to finish at the basket when he needs to. His fit into halfcourt NBA offenses will remain a bigger question. Avdija will have value as a passer and cutter, but he’ll need to continue to prove himself as a shooter even after showing a better outside stroke after the league returned from its pandemic hiatus.

Link:

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2020/8/20/21374098/nba-mock-draft-2020-lottery-order-timberwolves-warriors-bulls

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 6:49 PM, NBASupes said:

What do see in Obi?  I'm not necessarily against, but what I see on the tape is some really stiff hips and a real lack of lateral ability.  And severe one-handedness.  I like the shooting and the big body.

I'm not sure about Deni, but I think people are hopeful that the all-rounder type European game translates as well for him as it has for many others in the league.  He's getting a boost by riding Luka's jet stream a little bit, imo.  You could argue that the Hawks are missing that "glue guy", the guy who kind of makes it all stick together nicely.  It would be interesting to see how a real point forward would integrate with this roster.  If there's one thing I've seen in Deni's tape, it's playmaking and versatility.  Questions on defense.

• Like 1