• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who do you want at #6?

NBASupes

In my opinion saying Toppin has similar offensive impact as Collins is a reach. Collins is a 20ppg scorer. 

Toppin is a good offensive PF but lacks defense.

Okongwu can play PF and C, is much better defender and not so worse on offense, consider he has performed similarly as a freshman been Toppin a sophomore, reminds me Bam Adebayo, I think he would be a  better plater at the end and a better fit for the Hawks.

• Like 4

Somewhere in all this thinking is a new Hawk that we haven't had the opportunity to watch because he was injured.  I expect him to strengthen our bench which was pitiful last season.  Skal, the 6'10" PF will be somewhere in this mix of bench players.

Halburton, Tyrese may be available at #6.  If so, I hope we get him.

I'm a homer.  Apparently I think more highly of our core players than some.  The trades I see offered up just blows my mind.  Example:  Trade three of our starting five for a one year rental who's contract would allow him to walk after one year.  Gee.  Really?  

:sun:

• Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

No one has said he's the perfect 4. I keep saying he's the perfect offensive 4 in the modern NBA.

You also said a 4 that's bad defensively is a losing player.  I'm struggling to see how that now doesn't apply to Toppin.   That's all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I saw this quote on RealGM in reference to a guy eating crow for erroneously evaluating Bam:

College in general is an absolutely awful place for big men to learn how to play NBA basketball. Once one-and-done is removed I would absolutely pass on it if I'm a highly touted big man prospect.

Do the college hoop heads here agree?

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, benhillboy said:

I saw this quote on RealGM in reference to a guy underestimating/ poorly evaluating Bam:

College in general is an absolutely awful place for big men to learn how to play NBA basketball. Once one-and-done is removed I would absolutely pass on it if I'm a highly touted big man prospect.

Do the college hoop heads here agree?

Absolutely agree.  Very few programs care to develop modern bigs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Naw, it only works like that if your wings can't shoot. Capela is an elite screener with a wide frame and quickness, his space he clears helps Trae a ton. It will help all of our wings. 

But yeah, Cam, Kevin, and Hunter will have to be able to shoot so they can't sellout on the trap. If they do, it's extremely hard to stop because of the space Capela clears and the spacing that you have to respect. I have no doubt we are going to be a better offense with Capela this year than Dedmon overall but PPP is where I am concerned but we just need the bench to be much better in that area in my opinion. We already know we need to see improvement from Hunter and Reddish as well as Huerter 

That's kinda what I meant. Our wings couldn't shoot last season(I know they were rookies)...Hopefully they improve,  and we sign a couple of guys. I want Trae to have shooters like Luka does..lol...Collins can shoot it pretty good, I just cant imagine him hanging out in the corner like PJ Tucker. lol

Edited by terrell

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Offensively yes, defensively, hell yes. John shown improvement as interior defender and looked like ass in space. Capela is all interior defense. Not sure the fit is there but Trae will love having Capela. With two PnR threats, schemes will have to more complex and harder to scheme against. Capela fits Trae more than he fits JC. The ideal big for JC is a playmaking type. Adams was the best for both JC and Trae but Capela is best for Trae

Well Best for Trae is what matters, because we know for a fact he's not going anywhere...

• Moderators

Noah seems like a very strange comp to me for Toppin.  His whole identify was his defense.  He could facilitate some on offense but very low impact on that end of the floor.  Toppin seems kind of the opposite to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Noah seems like a very strange comp to me for Toppin.  His whole identify was his defense.  He could facilitate some on offense but very low impact on that end of the floor.  Toppin seems kind of the opposite to me.

How Chicago used him as a playmaker big in his prime long term as well as his defensive playmaking. Noah is a superior defensive talent. Dwight Powell is more comparable 

Edited by NBASupes

• Moderators
Just now, NBASupes said:

How Chicago used him as a playmaker big in his prime long term.

The ability to pass I can see but it is tough to take that in isolation for me when he was something of a liability as a scorer and was the cornerstone of the defense.  I expect Toppin to be more defined by the explosiveness of his scoring and then being secondarily bolstered by an ability to move the ball around the floor.  On top of that, I don’t know that any big will be able to facilitate like Noah at his peak when Trae will be controlling the offense.

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

The ability to pass I can see but it is tough to take that in isolation for me when he was something of a liability as a scorer and was the cornerstone of the defense.  I expect Toppin to be more defined by the explosiveness of his scoring and then being secondarily bolstered by an ability to move the ball around the floor.  On top of that, I don’t know that any big will be able to facilitate like Noah at his peak when Trae will be controlling the offense.

Since Trae, bigs get a vast majority of our touches outside of Trae. If we are going to have a legit playmaker to play with Trae, it will have to be a big. Any wing is pushed to open threes and PnR play like Kevin.

Noah in pieces. Just the defensive playmaking and playmaking offensively as a big

Edited by NBASupes

23 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Dwight Powell is more comparable 

So you want us to draft a guy at #6 who is comparable to Dwight Powell who was a second round pick and is an overrated player himself? Supes, you are losing me bro. 🤦‍♀️ 

Just now, Spud2nique said:

So you want us to draft a guy at #6 who is comparable to Dwight Powell who was a second round pick and is an overrated player himself? Supes, you are losing me bro. 🤦‍♀️ 

We are talking defense dude.

• Confused 1

Just now, NBASupes said:

We are talking defense dude.

😂 wow. Defense. Ok then that’s a no too. Dwight Powell is ONLY out there for his defense, ok some offensive rebounding maybe. If you expect Toppin to be Dwight Powell is lower my expectations or get ready to be disappointed.