Who do you want at #6?

NBASupes

Definitely not Toppin. Whoever ends up with Toppin is gonna have some major defensive issues as a team. He reminds me a lot of Isaac Austin, a dude from the 90’s. I think Toppin is a bit better but not sure how much better. It’s a pretty solid and REALISTIC comparison.

Toppin is like a poor man’s Melo. Melo was dynamic and a consensus top 3 pick. Toppin is a top 10 guy.

Anyways, here is the guys he most reminds me of:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Definitely not Toppin. Whoever ends up with Toppin is gonna have some major defensive issues as a team. He reminds me a lot of Isaac Austin, a dude from the 90’s. I think Toppin is a bit better but not sure how much better. It’s a pretty solid and REALISTIC comparison.

Toppin is like a poor man’s Melo. Melo was dynamic and a consensus top 3 pick. Toppin is a top 10 guy.

Anyways, here is the guys he most reminds me of:

You gonna have so much egg on your face on this one. Keep posting stinkers. Hey @AHF, don't lock this thread when the draft comes. Some people been showing their ass in here 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

You gonna have so much egg on your face on this one. Keep posting stinkers. Hey @AHF, don't lock this thread when the draft comes. Some people been showing their ass in here 

Good suggestion.  Did they lock the threads from last draft too?  'Cause there's a couple "can't-miss" guys you identified from prior years too ya know ... 😏

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Good suggestion.  Did they lock the threads from last draft too?  'Cause there's a couple "can't-miss" guys you identified from prior years too ya know ... 😏

I don’t wanna go full .... evil 👿 today otherwise I’d dig for Supes misses. He’s the Lenny Wilkens of squawk. Lotta wins yes, due to many years played. 😉 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I don’t wanna go full .... evil 👿 today otherwise I’d dig for Supes misses. He’s the Lenny Wilkens of squawk. Lotta wins yes, due to many years played. 😉 

Don't do that.  You might stumble over my Trae comments and ... nobody wants to see that. 😳 Shhhhh, let sleepin' dogs lie.

• Haha 3

Second draft podcast notes.  Hardwood Knocks: An NBA Podcast

Supes would like this one.  The one guy likes Obi in the top 3.  He also has Vassell to GS as a possibility too (hehe) TIFWIW.  Also says Ball is 12 on his board.  (yikes)

Basically said he's not sold on Ball's likelihood of hitting his "best" outcome.

Whoa, he says he doesn't have Okoro or Haliburton in his top 20!  Hali's ability to get to rim, create is not there.  Is averse to contact so he won't be a guy with the ball in his hands.  Has too slow a release, is poor defender at point of attack - I don't disagree with this.

On Okongwu, has him late lotto just due to bigs being easily replaceable.  He has Avdija to CLE, Vassell to CHI.  Likes Toppin here too.

On Hawks, Okoro makes a lot of sense.  But BPA here only needs to check one box 'can he play with Trae'.  Chooses Hayes over Kira Lewis for us for that reason.  This guy is all over the place.  Likes Wiseman for us even after Capela/Deadman.

Has Kira Lewis 4th on his board.  4th.  Says he sees superstar potential.  Host asks why he's so high where others aren't?  Says others rate him lower due to defensive impact and lack of elite athleticism and midrange scoring.  Uh, if you see all that too, why is he 4th?

I may cut this off.  Feel like I'm getting dumber, if that's possible. 

Edited by kg01
  • Haha 1

Some notes on Hayes.  Is working with Will Bynum, has ties to DET.  Don't be surprised if Hayes is the Pistons' pick.  Knicks seem to like him too.  While we can't likely auction off Ball as I wanted us to be able to do, we may be in a good spot at 6.  The teams at 7 and 8 could be fighting for the same guy(s).  Let's get some assets.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

And now Supes gets the fun of calendar marking crazy statements pre-draft. Called crap on me a few months ago...but you get it now.

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Second draft podcast notes.  Hardwood Knocks: An NBA Podcast

Supes would like this one.  The one guy likes Obi in the top 3.  He also has Vassell to GS as a possibility too (hehe) TIFWIW.  Also says Ball is 12 on his board.  (yikes)

Basically said he's not sold on Ball's likelihood of hitting his "best" outcome.

Whoa, he says he doesn't have Okoro or Haliburton in his top 20!  Hali's ability to get to rim, create is not there.  Is averse to contact so he won't be a guy with the ball in his hands.  Has too slow a release, is poor defender at point of attack - I don't disagree with this.

On Okongwu, has him late lotto just due to bigs being easily replaceable.  He has Avdija to CLE, Vassell to CHI.  Likes Toppin here too.

On Hawks, Okoro makes a lot of sense.  But BPA here only needs to check one box 'can he play with Trae'.  Chooses Hayes over Kira Lewis for us for that reason.  This guy is all over the place.  Likes Wiseman for us even after Capela/Deadman.

Has Kira Lewis 4th on his board.  4th.  Says he sees superstar potential.  Host asks why he's so high where others aren't?  Says others rate him lower due to defensive impact and lack of elite athleticism and midrange scoring.  Uh, if you see all that too, why is he 4th?

I may cut this off.  Feel like I'm getting dumber, if that's possible. 

Post Corona teams are going to be hurting financially and will want every  dollar they can get. There is no bigger draw in this year's draft than Lamelo Ball. He won't get out of the top 6 on marketing pull alone. From jersey sales to tickets....you can market the kid.

As far as Dedmon goes, he'll be gone in 1 more season (13.33 mil non-guaranteed in 2021-22).  Looking in to my magic crystal ball, if Wiseman drops to 6 the Hawks pounce and move Bruno to the 4 full time as a backup. Wiseman spends a year learning under Dedmon, Capela, making sure he stays healthy and develops a better shot. Dedmon leaves after this year and Wiseman backs up Capela year 2. 

Edited by thecampster
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Post Corona teams are going to be hurting financially and will want every  dollar they can get. There is no bigger draw in this year's draft than Lamelo Ball. He won't get out of the top 6 on marketing pull alone. From jersey sales to tickets....you can market the kid.

Also, we can satisfy ourselves with the realization that Trae and Ball resemble Curry and Klay, but only if they were snorting crack for 9 years and 2 1/2 months.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kg01 said:

Don't do that.  You might stumble over my Trae comments and ... nobody wants to see that. 😳 Shhhhh, let sleepin' dogs lie.

Let the record show I posted the very first Trae Young thread on the Squawk, when he was at Oklahoma. I posed the question of whether we should draft him, most everyone said no...he's too small and takes too many bad shots that won't work in the NBA.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Let the record show I posted the very first Trae Young thread on the Squawk, when he was at Oklahoma. I posed the question of whether we should draft him, most everyone said no...he's too small and takes too many bad shots that won't work in the NBA.

I definitely was in that crew that didn't want him at #3.

eating_crow_decorative_plate-rb966a38441

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

As far as Dedmon goes, he'll be gone in 1 more season (13.33 mil non-guaranteed in 2021-22).  Looking in to my magic crystal ball, if Wiseman drops to 6 the Hawks pounce and move Bruno to the 4 full time as a backup. Wiseman spends a year learning under Dedmon, Capela, making sure he stays healthy and develops a better shot. Dedmon leaves after this year and Wiseman backs up Capela year 2. 

The marketing pull thing is so incredibly overrated. If he can't play Lamelo's shine will be dead before the ink dries on his contract. Lonzo Ball had big hype coming to Los Angeles, huge crowds of people were following him around asking for autographs and selfies. Guess what, he was unceremoniously traded two years later. Before the draft, Luka was said to not be a good choice marketing wise, as Euros are generally less marketable, don't connect with hip/hop culture, sneaker culture, etc. Now he's a rock star. Factoring marketability into who you draft is a fool's errand, and an irresponsible way to run a team.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Oh really?  That's great.  Great, great, great ...

iky.gif

20 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

The marketing pull thing is so incredibly overrated. If he can't play Lamelo's shine will be dead before the ink dries on his contract. Lonzo Ball had big hype coming to Los Angeles, huge crowds of people were following him around asking for autographs and selfies. Guess what, he was unceremoniously traded two years later. Before the draft, Luka was said to not be a good choice marketing wise, as Euros are generally less marketable, don't connect with hip/hop culture, sneaker culture, etc. Now he's a rock star. Factoring marketability into who you draft is a fool's errand, and an irresponsible way to run a team.

I'm not campaigning for hom. Just laying out facts. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kg01 said:

Some notes on Hayes.  Is working with Will Bynum, has ties to DET.  Don't be surprised if Hayes is the Pistons' pick.  Knicks seem to like him too.  While we can't likely auction off Ball as I wanted us to be able to do, we may be in a good spot at 6.  The teams at 7 and 8 could be fighting for the same guy(s).  Let's get some assets.

I think his range is 4 or 7. Detroit seems to be the favorite of Ball, Haliburton or Hayes. I think they will draft one of the three. 

Edwards 1-3

Ball range- 1 or 6

Wiseman range- 1-3

Toppin - 3, 6, 7, 8, 10

Haliburton- 6-8, 10

Deni - 3-6, 8

Okoro - 3-11 widest range

That's it for Hawks guys

8 hours ago, kg01 said:

Listening to another good draft-related podcast, Prep2Pro, and came away with some notes.  Just opinions to share, discuss

- Their picks for the Hawks were Deni or Vassell.  Rationale was we need a secondary creator and whoever we get needs to be a defensive presence.

- Hated the idea of Obi but, to be fair to Supes, these guys are very low on him.  Said him to CLE would be a huge mistake.  They had some really bad things to say about Toppin.  I wouldn't recommend Supes listening.  His head might explode.  Told the story that Obi only visited Dayton because he thought it was in Daytona Beach.  😬 Said that, if he tried to post up Smart, he'd get pushed out to the 3pt line since his center of gravity is in his neck. 😏

- One guy mentioned Maxey or Poku to us, if we trade down.

- Said many think Haliburton would be good for us but all that would do is give us 2 guys who can be attacked defensively.

- Suggested the Knicks trade with us to get ahead of DET for Hayes - who they also liked for us.  This could be a way for us to get a high 2nd back.  If it were me, I'd just take Hayes.

Poku is intriguing..But hes probably going to take a while.

I think his range is 4 or 7. Detroit seems to be the favorite of Ball, Haliburton or Hayes. I think they will draft one of the three. 

Edwards 1-3

Ball range- 1 or 6

Wiseman range- 1-3

Toppin - 3, 6, 7, 8, 10

Haliburton- 6-8, 10

Deni - 3-6, 8

That's it for Hawks guys

Detroit is taking a guard for sure. 

Edwards 1-3

Ball range- 1 or 6

Wiseman range- 1-3

Toppin - 3, 6, 7, 8, 10

Haliburton- 6-8, 10

Deni - 3-6, 8

That's it for Hawks guys

I'm starting to think we'll end up with Deni or Hayes.  If we stay at 6.  Okoro if we trade down.

31 minutes ago, terrell said:

Poku is intriguing..But hes probably going to take a while.

That's the consensus of every eggspert I've heard.  Many love him though.  See him as a more skilled Porzingo. 🤯

But is a long term play.  Like, really long term gamble.

• Like 1