• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who do you want at #6?

NBASupes

Just for comps sake, Bam and Onyeka were nearly identical in their one and done seasons.

2016-17 Bam: 13ppg, 8rebs, .8assts, 59.9%FG, N/A3PT%, 65.3%FT, 22 PER, 5.6 WS- (30.1 MPG)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/edrice-adebayo-1.html

2019-20 Onyeka: 16.2PPG, 8.6REB, 1.1AST, 61.6%FG, 25%3PT, 72%FT, 31PER, 5.4WS - (30.6 MPG)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/onyeka-okongwu-1.html

In about the same MPG O.O was a better scorer, with better shooting touch than Bam, averaging around the same Assists. Same Win shares, O.O with a better PER.

I think the thing to truly look at is shooting and playmaking. Everybody holds Bam on a different level because he can pass, but at the same stage in their careers, O.O is slightly ahead of him. Who knows if he can improve the same way Bam has, but it's there as a starting point.

O.O is a better shooter now than Bam has been for his career (71% career FT in NBA compared to 72% in college for O.O). Bam is a career 1.39 3pt shooter in NBA, didn't attempt any in college. O.O is at 25% which isn't good, but it's a much better starting point and tells you he could potentially evolve the same way a guy like Brook Lopez has to at least be a mild threat from the outside.

Point is as far as PROSPECTS  go,  Bam is a really good comp for Onyeka. And he is a little ahead of the curve. Who knows where he could be by year 3 like Bam.

16 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Just for comps sake, Bam and Onyeka were nearly identical in their one and done seasons.

2016-17 Bam: 13ppg, 8rebs, .8assts, 59.9%FG, N/A3PT%, 65.3%FT, 22 PER, 5.6 WS- (30.1 MPG)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/edrice-adebayo-1.html

2019-20 Onyeka: 16.2PPG, 8.6REB, 1.1AST, 61.6%FG, 25%3PT, 72%FT, 31PER, 5.4WS - (30.6 MPG)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/onyeka-okongwu-1.html

In about the same MPG O.O was a better scorer, with better shooting touch than Bam, averaging around the same Assists. Same Win shares, O.O with a better PER.

I think the thing to truly look at is shooting and playmaking. Everybody holds Bam on a different level because he can pass, but at the same stage in their careers, O.O is slightly ahead of him. Who knows if he can improve the same way Bam has, but it's there as a starting point.

O.O is a better shooter now than Bam has been for his career (71% career FT in NBA compared to 72% in college for O.O). Bam is a career 1.39 3pt shooter in NBA, didn't attempt any in college. O.O is at 25% which isn't good, but it's a much better starting point and tells you he could potentially evolve the same way a guy like Brook Lopez has to at least be a mild threat from the outside.

Point is as far as PROSPECTS  go,  Bam is a really good comp for Onyeka. And he is a little ahead of the curve. Who knows where he could be by year 3 like Bam.

Comparing stats is where mistakes can happen. Onyeka is a better college player but Adebayo was a much better AAU player showcasing a lot more talent. I am a believer that this comparison fails to take that Bam vastly improved in the NBA each year and Onyeka has been the same type of player since HS. I don't know if he can change that up. Adebayo just sharpen up his skills for the things he showcased in HS but didn't at Kentucky 

Let's use Cam Reddish as an example @RedDawg#8

Let's say next year there is this prospect similar to Cam in built and length but was a high 4 star prospect. This kid can shoot it better at the stage and is just more polished overall. But in HS, Cam was a monster in HS. He showcased a lot of skill, talent and offensive gifts that are rare. The other kid was a productive AAU player but didn't showcase rare skill or talent. 

Some will make the comparison and say, Cam is an all star in his 2nd year and this kid is much better as a prospect, just imagine how good he will be in year 2. He will be a superstar. This assumption can be the wrong assumption to have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Let's say next year there is this prospect similar to Cam in built and length but was a high 4 star prospect. This kid can shoot it better at the stage and is just more polished overall. But in HS, Cam was a monster in HS. He showcased a lot of skill, talent and offensive gifts that are rare. The other kid was a productive AAU player but didn't showcase rare skill or talent. 

Some will make the comparison and say, Cam is an all star in his 2nd year and this kid is much better as a prospect, just imagine how good he will be in year 2. He will be a superstar. This assumption can be the wrong assumption to have. 

Some differences in roles worth exploring as well.  O.O was the lead player on USC.  Bam was the #4 option in UK's offense in college.  Definitely different opportunities given the level of those programs and talent depth on each roster.

Bam's development as a passer was pretty unforeseen as well.  It is pretty extraordinary for a big to develop playmaking like he has.  It is his distinguishing feature as a pro and it is hard to project anyone with a similar college profile developing in a similar way just from the numbers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I get that, I'm a realist. Lets just start with the fact that I dont have Bam on a pedastal to begin with. An all star nod in year 3 in a weak East with injured stars isn't anything to get all crazy about. Bam is a really good player with multi-layered skillset that translates as a modern day big, Thats where the comp to OO comes in, because he too can be a very good modern day big, even if not the next Bam or whatever. I'm stating that O.O has a better shooting touch now than Bam which could translate with development. The part about passing makes sense. If that's just not OO's game then I get the doubt on that ever developing. Makes sense. I didn't watch Bam in HS or College so I really dont have the same references to go off of. I just know that when people question if O.O has the potential to be a good NBA big, there is an archetype in place of a similar sized guy, with near identical production at the same level of competition, so there is a point of reference at the very least that it is possible... minus the passing in this case, but a better potential shooter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I've been pretty clear about not wanting Vassell, but I can at least see the case with him being a defensive disruptor (in a way Okoro and Hunter are not) and a much better perimeter shooter than Okoro.  TS is going to have to earn his money this draft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

No. 8  Atlanta Hawks (via New York Knicks): Devin Vassell, W, Florida State

The Hawks moved back two spots and added the 38th pick, while taking a flier on Dennis Smith Jr. Smith regressed considerably this past season with the Knicks but he’s only due $5.7 million this upcoming year and will be a free agent in 2021. If it doesn’t work out, he could be the third point guard on the roster and they would still sign someone else in free agency. Atlanta did try acquiring Frank Ntilikina from the Knicks (hypothetically), but they wouldn’t budge on picks No. 6 and No. 50 for No. 8 and Ntilikina. 

With the eighth pick, the Hawks grab one of the best team defenders in the draft. The Hawks need all the defensive help they can get. Pairing Vassell with De’Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish has the potential to be devastating defensively while allowing Trae Young and John Collins to continue thriving offensively. 

Vassell also would add some 3-point shooting that the Hawks need after being the worst 3-point shooting team in the league this season. He shot 41 percent from 3 this year for the Seminoles. 

He doesn’t project as the flashiest player but he fills a lot of roles the Hawks need filled. 

Also, now that the Hawks have picks 38 and 50 in this hypothetical draft, they would likely sell No. 50. — Chris Kirschner

I'd do  trade for Ntilikina, not for DSJ.

If they insist on DSJ, they have to give us #27 instead of #38.

• Premium Member

Latest from BR:

Sacramento Kings receive: No. 6, No. 50, Kevin Huerter

Atlanta Hawks receive: No. 12, Buddy Hield

The Sacramento Kings may shop Hield to improve their draft position and chances at re-signing Bogdan Bogdanovic. Atlanta could show interest with its need for another scorer and shooter to play off Trae Young. 

In this deal, the Kings would have their eyes set on the No. 6 pick to select Onyeka Okongwu for his athleticism, post skills and defensive upside. Marvin Bagley III has struggled with injuries, but Sacramento could also picture both bigs playing together, with Bagley bringing more scoring versatility and Okongwu adding shot-blocking and rim protection. 

The Kings would also land Huerter, another shooter who struggled to make a sophomore leap.

TRADE at 12. Atlanta Hawks (via Kings): Saddiq Bey (Villanova, SF/PF, Sophomore) 

The Hawks move back from No. 6 to No. 12 after acquiring Hield. They could still add a useful rotation piece here in Bey, who'd give them a needed frontcourt spacer and shooter. Between De'Andre Hunter, Cam Reddish and now Bey, Atlanta would have a trio of interchangeable wings/forwards

I think #6 and Huerter is too much.  There is a cost to the Kings clearing the cap to resign Bogi.  Switch Huerter with the OKC 2022 1st.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2909803-2020-nba-mock-draft-how-3-trades-could-shake-up-draft-night

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I don't think there is any at all. It's just something the media keeps writing as it makes sense to them although not to us. Kevin and Buddy are both 6th men types. Buddy is shooting/scoring and Kevin is shooting/playmaking. There is not much difference other than the stage of their careers at this point

... and the money which reinforces the confusion why so many want Hield here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

... and the money which reinforces the confusion why so many want Hield here.

Facts and because we want to win and have cap space. It's an illogical but logical post for a blogger looking to think of potential trades. If you noticed, you never see anyone who's an Atlanta fan saying this. Most of us don't want Hield for big value. We would take him for OKC 2022 1st. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm not sure he is worth a 1st round pick period

There is a good chance that isn't going to be a 1st rounder. I'm not sure OKC makes the playoffs as they look to be heading toward a rebuild.

Thunder
    Thunder
    Hawks

Hawks (protected top 14)

PICK MAY OR MAY NOT TRANSFER DEPENDING ON THUNDER DRAFT POSITION

Traded • Dennis Schröder • Mike Muscala in a 3-team trade with 76ers, Thunder for • Carmelo Anthony • Justin Anderson • draft pick(s) (2022 first round pick, protected top 14 in 2022, else 2024 second round pick, 2025 second round pick (?-?)) (from Thunder) (?-?) on 2018-07-25

• Like 3

• Premium Member
    18 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Does any have Kevin Pelton's latest rankings? He nailed Luka and Trae, ranking them #1 and #3 respectively, no one else did. He's pretty sharp, I'd like to see his thoughts on this years prospects.

I can’t find anything older than June.

This was an unusual year even before the NCAA tournament and many conference tournaments were canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic because there was so little consensus about the top prospects, so few of whom played college basketball.

That bears out statistically too. Historically, the best prospects have been those who rate in the top 10 of my stats-only projections and go among the top 10 picks. Typically, there's an average of about three such players from the college ranks, but this year only one NCAA player among ESPN's Jonathan Givony's top 10 prospects is also in my stats-only top 10: Iowa State guard Tyrese Haliburton.