• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Mitchell is why you don't pass on Obi Toppin

NBASupes

Just because he's an older prospect, Mitchell came into 2017-18 season at 21 years old. Toppin 22, doesn't mean they lack potential. Mitchell was a 80 potential in NBA2k18. He's now a 90 overall right now in 2k20. We gotta stop this silly ass shit. Stop comparing these players to clown ass players too. 

draft.net literally compared him to Norm Powell

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/donovan-mitchell/

They have thankfully learned from this and gave Obi a decent rating but he too much be higher. 

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/obi-toppin/

https://www.nba.com/draft/2017/prospects/donovan_mitchell#/

Teams let Mitchell drop way down in the lottery and now look stupid. Don't look stupid. Take the best player on the board. 

I hear you Supes but I don't think Toppin will be available when we pick. I can't see him getting pass Cleveland. I personally want Deni but he'll be gone too. I want be surprised if we trade back to get more assets.

• Thanks 1

Obi Toppin isn't a guard and won't have the same effect on the game because he won't have the ball in his hands as much.  Will you please stop reaching to make him look better than he is?

He's a very good prospect, but he's not going to have the same effect on the game as a ball dominant guard.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

Obi Toppin isn't a guard and won't have the same effect on the game because he won't have the ball in his hands as much.  Will you please stop reaching to make him look better than he is. 

He's a very good prospect, but he's not going to have the same effect on the game as a ball dominant guard.

All this is true.

I got no issue with saying he may be a good piece but all this talk of him being transcendent is just way too strong.

Dude may be a slightly better version of Kuzma.  Thats not bad, but it ain't great either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree KG01, hopefully he'll be able to move back to small forward. I was comparing the touches he gets at the power forward position. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, kg01 said:

The next big man that can control the game offensively, and not have to be fed, will be the first one.

Apples to deck chairs comparison.

No it's not. My basic point is, if a player is extremely gifted offensively but he's old for a prospect, don't say, well, at 21, this guy is scoring 22 ppg, how is this guy gonna do it. The NBA is about development tracks. You can enter the NBA at 19 like Shabazz Muhammad did and be out of the league by 23. Or you can come in at 21 like Mitchell and be a star by your 2nd seasons and show signs as a rookie. 

Toppin is an offensive monster. He can do shit, most bigs simply can't do. You can run an offense for him. He can screen. He's an elite finisher. He can pass. He's an excellent decision maker. His PPP was a 1.20 this year. Tell me all of the great college prospects who had a PPP even close to that? Find them? Put some respect on his name. Mitchell got a lot of disrespect till people saw it in the NBA when it was clearly able to be seen in college. 

24 minutes ago, TRW said:

And of course, Toppin can't handle the rock like Tatum.

Trash. You don't gotta handle the rock like Tatum to be effective with the rock. I really hate the lack of logic by many of our fans. We think one way and it's extremely annoying when it can be done in numerous ways. 

10 hours ago, kg01 said:

All this is true.

I got no issue with saying he may be a good piece but all this talk of him being transcendent is just way too strong.

Dude may be a slightly better version of Kuzma.  Thats not bad, but it ain't great either.

This is such a bullshit ass post. How the f*** is he a Kuzma at best type? 

Dude literally is a good ass movement big. He can play around the basket and on the perimeter. His finishing ability is generational. Only players in his range historically as NCAA D1 athletes are Zion and Brandon Clarke who are insane finishers in the NBA as rookies. With his volume, just him and Zion. 

9 hours ago, High5 said:

I didn't know we were using 2K ratings in our analysis now. 

We got 2k minded idiots on here. He's Kuzma, you don't know how much that pisses me off. It's a lack of Basketball intelligence. I would love to break down film with these idiots. 

This guy is literally giving you 1.20 PPP. That would be the best in the NBA last season of all players. 

44 minutes ago, TRW said:

I'm not a fan of Toppin but Jayson Tatum has no problems getting the ball. It depends on the type of offense a player plays in.

They don't get it. You can use Toppin with complete versatility. He's not JC. He's not most NBA PF's who can't create for others. He's different. He's like Al on offense but you know, extremely good at scoring unlike Al because he's just an much better offensive minded prospect. That's not a knock on Al, he was an All around beast. 

Edited by NBASupes

Look, I been trying to reason with you guys on the other side of my opinion for months. I mean months. But I can't anymore. I was reading over those who were high on Mitchell notes and it was to a T correct. Many people argued against it or was like, role player scorer. Too old, doesn't have much potential. He can be a great 6th man. But those who loved him as like, he's like Wade. He's special and the others just couldn't see it. They refused. Some got mad like @kg01 and compared him to obvious role players like Eric Bledsoe saying that's his peak and he won't even be that good. 

For me, I can't see how you can't see it. He's an offensive juggernaut. In our system and how we play, he would be f***ing perfect! We need more PPP guys. We have Trae but that's it. I just don't see how you can't see it. To me, it's obvious. To those who supported Mitchell, it was obvious. But I guess not everyone got it mentally. Some people gotta see it on the next level to believe it. They just can't vision shit well.

Supes, I see his talent, but I question how he's gonna work on this team. As things stand today, Collins and Toppin cannot play significant minutes together and not be a disaster defensively. If they can't play together, someone would have to be moved and you're not getting equivalent value for them.

If your willing to move Collins for someone else and then draft Toppin, then that makes sense even if I wouldn't cosign that. I take your point about his development, I think he'll be good, just not in Atlanta given our current composition.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

Supes, I see his talent, but I question how he's gonna work on this team. As things stand today, Collins and Toppin cannot play significant minutes together and not be a disaster defensively. If they can't play together, someone would have to be moved and you're not getting equivalent value for them.

If your willing to move Collins for someone else and then draft Toppin, then that makes sense even if I wouldn't cosign that. I take your point about his development, I think he'll be good, just not in Atlanta given our current composition.

Vince Carter and John were playing together and y'all were cheering.  My have things changed.