• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Mitchell is why you don't pass on Obi Toppin

NBASupes

5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Wrong.  You can try but ultimately it's left up to fate.

Or are you telling us Jabari Parker chose to have multiple ACL tears?  Or maybe Isaac wanted to be out for another season?  And I'm sure John Wall signed up for the Achilles tear willingly.

Conversely, maybe you're telling us Giannis is choosing not to shoot as well as Curry?

Or Steph's ankles right or Michael Jordan's ACL? Stop it. Injuries can be prevented unless you are built to where injuries could happen due to weight, things like Oden's leg being much longer than the other, etc. 

19 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Or Steph's ankles right or Michael Jordan's ACL? Stop it. Injuries can be prevented unless you are built to where injuries could happen due to weight, things like Oden's leg being much longer than the other, etc. 

Yeah guys aren't robots.  You can just say "do X" and suddenly no longer have to worry about injuries.  You can take preventative measures but ultimately it's up to fate.

Michael Jordan's ACL?  I'll give you a break and won't attack that one. I'll assume you misspoke.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Saying so-and-so "could be great if he was healthy" is the same as saying something like, "Ah man, if Giannis could shoot like Curry, he'd be unstoppable."  It's not reality so why bother saying it.

I get you were just trying to take up for ol' meany though.

My point was more that health is fairly unpredictable and if Supes projected someone to be the next Bagley but healthy that would be pretty good.

Obi Toppin could be a duplicate of John Collins, an explosive finisher whose defensive limitations cast a cloud over his offensive production.

Collins' lack of rim protection was likely the driving force behind Atlanta's decision to acquire Clint Capela. Adding Toppin wouldn't make much sense unless Atlanta was hesitant to pay Collins long-term.

But if they aren't interested in investing in Collins, they shouldn't be interested in doing the same with Toppin.

The Hawks should focus on adding more shooting and defense to complement Trae Young and the team's current bigs.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2907245-1-draft-prospect-every-nba-lottery-team-must-avoid

@NBASupes

31 minutes ago, GameTime said:

He's not JC. They don't operate in the same areas. I really wish we would stop that comparisons. That said, what's wrong with having a backup we know is capable of doing the job at PF, a position that is a big deal in our system. 

I get it to a degree when people talk about duplication but Obi and JC aren't the same. They are different players with different strengths and is it really a bad thing if they have similarities?

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's not JC. They don't operate in the same areas. I really wish we would stop that comparisons. That said, what's wrong with having a backup we know is capable of doing the job at PF, a position that is a big deal in our system. 

I get it to a degree when people talk about duplication but Obi and JC aren't the same. They are different players with different strengths and is it really a bad thing if they have similarities?

Wings can be similar but Bigs have to have nothing in common.  Very strange climate.  I do agree about Toppin being different than Collins.  John was a post up player in college.  That wasn't Toppin's game at Dayton.

26 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

When they have similar defensive issues it is a problem.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, AHF said:

image.png

So, I'd argue those numbers are not that impressive.  Not a great shooter, no assists, not much in terms of steals + blocks.

Point-blank scoring and offensive rebounds are his strengths.  In today's NBA, those are no longer high value.

17 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I think similarity between players who are both in the front or backcourt can hamper fit.  I like Capela next to Collins a lot without actually seeing it yet.  Trae’s playmaking and creation is plenty stout enough to pick up the slack where they struggle.

Edited by benhillboy