• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-2021 Season News and Notes

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

I don't see anyway they can start before MLK.   1/1 start would mean camp starts in another month or so.     But if they can logistically start MLK there is no reason to delay.  they mentioned delaying until March to have fans but let's be realistic, there won't be any pandemic difference in March vs January other than chance surge/subside.   They will still be faced with the same challenges and safety protocols.   

Containment is going to be a challenge for an indoor close contact sport.    NBA proved they can create a bubble.  It'll be another great test to see if they can control spread in a more normal schedule.  

25 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't see anyway they can start before MLK.   1/1 start would mean camp starts in another month or so.     But if they can logistically start MLK there is no reason to delay.  they mentioned delaying until March to have fans but let's be realistic, there won't be any pandemic difference in March vs January other than chance surge/subside.   They will still be faced with the same challenges and safety protocols.   

Containment is going to be a challenge for an indoor close contact sport.    NBA proved they can create a bubble.  It'll be another great test to see if they can control spread in a more normal schedule.  

It would almost be better if the players had Covid already, since re-infection is extremely rare. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

It would almost be better if the players had Covid already, since re-infection is extremely rare. 

it'll be interesting if there are some vaccines available first part of the year.   I'm fine if they want to take them first.   It'd be a good test.

They may have to prepare the arenas similarly to how they prepare arenas for hockey games. Have no fans seated courtside and have plexiglass panels to separate fans from the court. As well as having socially distanced seating.

Edited by ATLHawks3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, ATLHawks3 said:

They may have to prepare the arenas similarly to how they prepare arenas for hockey games. Have no fans seated courtside and have plexiglass panels to separate fans from the court. As well as socially distanced seating.

Did hockey have fans this year?   

Player wise NHL did pull off a good season without a whole lot of covid infection i don't think.    That's a good sign for nba players.   

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Player wise NHL did pull off a good season without a whole lot of covid infection i don't think.    That's a good sign for nba players.   

Hockey had a bubble environment for their playoffs, and no fans were allowed I believe. 

• Moderators
On 10/20/2020 at 12:05 PM, macdaddy said:

They also kept everyone in Canada.  For a reason.

• Premium Member

Board of Governors meeting on Friday!

The NBA is focusing on Martin Luther King Day (Jan. 18) for a start date next season, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Among the issues the league is facing from this unconventional calendar means getting the NBA back on track for normalcy for the 2021-22 season, as in October to June. Before the pandemic shut the NBA down in March, many were openly campaigning to start the season on Christmas Day permanently, largely to avoid conflict with the NFL’s season.

The lower ratings for the just-concluded Finals likely put a little bit of realism in the minds of the decision-makers about the viewing habits of the public as well as the appetite for the players to drag their season well into the summer and to the tip of fall.

It hasn’t been decided whether the NBA can implement a full 82-game schedule, especially with an emphasis on getting some level of attendance in areas and upholding the recently-developed standards concerning player rest, cutting down on the back-to-backs and heavy travel.

The focus for next season, primarily, is getting things finished in a reasonable amount of time for the draft, free agency and rest in the summer of 2021 for a traditional mid-October start.

A Christmas Day start is still in play, approximately a three-and-a-half week gap between the two dates, and while some around the league are optimistic a start can occur closer to the Christmas holiday, it feels more pragmatic to foresee a start around Jan. 18, 2021. The league will give teams a two-month notice before the start of the season.

A Board of Governors meeting is slated for this coming Friday, where commissioner Adam Silver will focus on getting next season started on track. The bubble was a success, but Silver has been talking to owners heading into this week's call, not wanting to bask in the recent history, knowing what’s ahead.

One big focus for next season has been the status of the Toronto Raptors. Due to the United States’ handling of COVID-19, travel into Canada has been banned.

MLB’s Toronto Blue Jays played their home games in Buffalo, and the Toronto FC of the MLS played its games in East Hartford, Connecticut.

The Raptors face a similar dilemma, and league sources tell Yahoo Sports one alternate location that has been broached is Louisville, Kentucky. Former NBA player and successful businessman Junior Bridgeman has been in contact with the NBA, considering Louisville has the KFC Yum! Center that is NBA-ready.

https://sports.yahoo.com/with-the-nba-focusing-on-a-202021-start-date-where-will-the-toronto-raptors-call-home-193735746.html

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Yeah, I'm 'a start taking my extra mid-day naps now.

~lw3

With Santa on hiatus due to Coronavirus (that's what my sister is telling her kids 😆) - Merry Christmas to me.  I hope this happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Olympics,  Play-in Bubble Games for 8th seed.

This would mean a return close to the NBA’s normal schedule, significant financial ramifications to start early, a potential finish before the 2021 Summer Olympics, and allow a window for stars to play in the Olympics, sources said. The NBA wants to continue to incorporate the play-in tournament that was utilized in the Orlando restart to determine the eighth seed in the Eastern and Western Conference playoffs, according to sources. ESPN first reported that a Christmas start and playing fewer than 82 games would be discussed on Friday’s call.

Baseball style set up for away games:

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Kinda surprised because I didn't hear nothing about this last night

They have to finish before the Olympics. For international players representing their nation in the Olympics is a very big deal. What if Luka and other internationals had to leave the playoffs to compete in the Olympics? That would be a disaster. League can't risk a fiasco like that.