• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-2021 Season News and Notes

JayBirdHawk

8 minutes ago, hawkman said:

This second half schedule is the reason why it is/was so important for the Hawks to win the games they let slip through their fingers. I think the number is up to 5 now? No more giving games away. That embarrassment last night could be a blessing in disguise. Hopefully, after last night they understand how important it is to jump on bad teams early and finish games when they have the lead in the 4th quarter. 

A blessing in disguise? Um, no.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, hawkman said:

This second half schedule is the reason why it is/was so important for the Hawks to win the games they let slip through their fingers. I think the number is up to 5 now? No more giving games away. That embarrassment last night could be a blessing in disguise. Hopefully, after last night they understand how important it is to jump on bad teams early and finish games when they have the lead in the 4th quarter. 

Sad thing is this has been like the 5th or 6th game they've been taught that lesson.  Hawks are hard-headed, apparently.

• Like 3

I'm a big Hawk fan.  In the western division, I'm a Kings fan.  Therefore, I'm excited to report that the King's draft pick last fall, Tyrese Haliburton, just won his second rookie of the month award!  His first, the December - January award and now the February award!

:MooseGoggles:

• Like 3

• Moderators
15 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I have a feeling that Nate would not have sent the guys home early from the mini-camp we had post-Covid shutdown.  We need a sense of urgency to make good use of every available minute because we have so much our young guys can keep developing and plenty of schemes and chemistry that the group can develop collectively.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Has there been any expressed strain/concern from management regarding building around Trae Young? The dependence on amazing offensive nights to make up for his lack of defense and how that affects roster construction is concerning.

There isn’t any concern from management regarding building around Young. Here’s what Schlenk had to say about Young:

“I think what we’re seeing is, we’re continuing to see his evolution,” Schlenk said on Thursday. “This year, they’ve thrown a lot of different traps, half-court traps, picking him up full court and just learning to trust his teammates when two defenders are on him to get off the ball quickly and allow his teammates to make those plays. I think that we’re seeing growth on the other end of the floor as well. Defensively, we’ve seen him take more charges, we’ve seen him come over and help more, so just really expending more effort on that side of the floor, and we’ve seen the volume of shooting go down and learning to trust his teammates. He’s a 22-year-old kid, and there’s room for growth and all our guys, but I think we’re continuing to see that.”

The Hawks certainly will not say publicly if they did have a concern because Young is whom they’re building around, but even behind the scenes, I haven’t heard any concerns about building around him.

Okongwu is obviously still raw, but what does he need to do to start getting some meaningful playing time? This is a team with no meaningful big-man depth behind Capela/Collins, and whenever Capela sits, the lack of rim protection is immediately noticeable. — Michael L.

Here’s what Schlenk had to say about Okongwu:

“I think the hard part obviously is coming in with the injury early, missing out on the training camp. Obviously not having Summer League as a rookie, too, is detrimental. But he was thrown into the fire, full speed, and we’re just trying to bring him along slowly. And I think what we’ve seen, especially the last couple of weeks, is flashes of who we think the player can be. So we’re certainly still very high on him and think he’s going to be a good player in this league.

“It’s just all about giving him experience and bringing him along. And certainly, there have been some times when it hasn’t looked great out there, where it looks like the game is just moving too fast for him, but the more we get him out here, I think you’re going to start to see longer and longer flashes of what he can be, just as far as he’s a physical, athletic young guy, who can run up and down the floor and be a factor in the paint, defensively.

“So I think as the year continues to go on, he’s just going to get more and more experience and become more and more comfortable, and that’s when the game’s going to slow down for him and you’re really going to start to see what he can give us.”

It’s simple to say, but he just needs to get his conditioning up to speed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1