• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Games on YoutubeTV

Jody23

• Moderators

league pass with a vpn is ridiculous but it's also a ton cheaper than any streaming service.   if it works. 

I have no idea why fox sports doesn't just offer their own subscription app for roku/amazon for $10/month.  I guess it's in their deal with the cable companies.

• Premium Member
Just now, macdaddy said:

league pass with a vpn is ridiculous but it's also a ton cheaper than any streaming service.   if it works. 

I have no idea why fox sports doesn't just offer their own subscription app for roku/amazon for $10/month.  I guess it's in their deal with the cable companies.

how much is league pass

• Moderators

So i have ExpressVPN and it seems to work on FireTV but i haven't fully verified with league pass.  when i select league pass app on firetv i only get one pricing option which is $28.99/month.   It doesn't conveniently tell me which blackout i'm facing so i can only assume at this point that the vpn will get me around the blackout restrictions.   I won't be able to tell until 12/11 i guess.  or it may tell me when i actually sign up but i'm going to wait to do that.  

I'm starting to think getting a chromecast and casting from my computer or phone to the tv is a better deal then i can get the hawks only for $18/month.

• Premium Member

This is incredibly frustrating... When will someone finally start a streaming service where you can select specific channels a la carte at whatever price point the streaming service+network can agree on.  I would pay $15/month for a single channel just to see Hawks games if it was possible, maybe even more.  HBO has already accomplished this -- why can't everyone else?  It's asinine I have to pay $100+ per month for cable just to see my local basketball team play...

The music industry has already figured this out, so I have no idea what is taking so long for television to get on board.  I'll continue pirating for free despite having a willingness to pay to watch the Hawks.  

• Like 2

Those of you who are on YouTube Tv you may want to think about switching over to ATT Now...it’s 79.99 which is higher than YouTube Tv 64.99 but it’s certainly an easier option to deal with rather than going to vpn and league pass route

On 10/22/2020 at 11:09 PM, JTB said:

Yeah the only reason I haven’t switched from YouTube TV is because the season hasn’t started yet. Maybe by the time the season starts back up they would have renegotiated the contract if not I will be switching to AT&T NOW I guess smh...which isn’t better than YouTube TV to me but it is what it is 

If people would stop switching it would put pressure on the regional networks.  At least give it a couple weeks into the season.  

26 minutes ago, AHF said:

How do you watch via fire stick?

Just as a reference, but this is how I typically watch TV from my firestick, and why VPN's are important with some of these services. Another thing to point out is thigh you do get channels like League pass for example, there may or may not be like a 1 or 2 minute delay.

https://troypoint.com/iptv/

Edited by HawksNWaffles

• Moderators
17 hours ago, JTB said:

Those of you who are on YouTube Tv you may want to think about switching over to ATT Now...it’s 79.99 which is higher than YouTube Tv 64.99 but it’s certainly an easier option to deal with rather than going to vpn and league pass route

I agree.  My issue though is that YTV has slowly inched their price up to $65 and I barely get anything out of it that i can't watch somewhere else that i'm already paying for.   Switching to ATT Now I'm now up to $80, which is probably more than i was paying for cable TV back in the day, just to watch Hawks games.   That's tough to swallow.  

League Pass also seems like a scam.   I honestly have never seen a more convoluted product offering than League Pass.  It's very hard to tell whether you're subscribing to NBATV or League Pass, what the difference is and how you watch them on Roku or Firestick.   When you get the league pass channel on firestick it looks like a crap app and has almost no subscription info on it.   

Anyway that's my rant.   I agree.  Just give us  one channel to watch Hawks games and pay $20/month.   This is friggin crazy but old money schemes die hard.   I wish I was an alcohol distributor in GA.  

• Like 3

Update: Not looking good for other streaming services. 

Sinclair Set to Bring Regional Sports Channels to Streaming

When Disney bought the assets of 20th Century Fox in a deal that closed in the spring of 2019, one of the points of contention was what would become of the Fox Sports Net regional channels. Disney already owns ESPN, so the government required them to sell off the group that owned the regional sports channels.

Most of the networks, later in 2019, were sold off to an entity called the Diamond Sports Group, which is a joint venture of broadcast TV channel owner Sinclair Broadcast Group and Entertainment Studios.

The regional channels are still, for now, called Fox Sports Net, but Sinclair announced last month that it had reached a first-of-its-kind agreement to sell the naming rights to the channels to the gambling concern Bally’s, in a deal that also will incorporate Bally’s gaming technology into broadcasts on the sports channels and other Sinclair-owned properties.

The deal was described as a partnership that “combines Bally’s vertically integrated, proprietary sports betting technology and expansive market access footprint with Sinclair's premier portfolio of local broadcast stations and live regional sports networks (‘RSNs’), STIRR, its popular Tennis Channel, and digital and over-the-air television network Stadium.”

It used to be inconceivable both for a sports channel to sell its naming rights or to get into business with a company connected with gambling. But norms have changed of late in sports and the presentation thereof.

Sinclair has also announced another potentially groundbreaking move- they’re bringing out a “direct-to-consumer” offering of the channels, which would presumably allow cord-cutters to subscribe directly to such channels.

One of the major things keeping cord-cutters from taking the plunge has long been a desire to watch local sports, and a streaming offering by the Sinclair/Bally’s would allow, say, a sports fan in Minneapolis/St. Paul to subscribe to the service and watch their favorite teams without cable. It’s not clear, however, what the streaming product will cost or exactly what it will offer.

Before now, users have had the option of subscribing to vMVPD services such as YouTube TV and Hulu + Live TV, although but Hulu and  YouTube TV dropped the Fox/Sinclair regional sports networks earlier this year, while Sling TV and Fubo TV do not carry them either. The streaming app ESPN+, meanwhile, offers limited access to live games.

The company will also be offering an authenticated/TV Everywhere streaming option first.

Per The Streamable, Sinclair’s CEO, Chris Ripley, addressed the plans this week at Wells Fargo TMT Summit.

“It doesn’t really change the relationship with distributors. They are extremely important to us. Whatever we do in direct-to-consumer will be complementary to our existing distribution relationships,” Ripley said at the summit, per the report.

“I do think we’ll be living in a hybrid world for many years to come where direct-to-consumer and traditional pay-TV bundles will co-exist for the foreseeable future and that’s the path we’re going to be moving towards in the future. Just because we’re going to have direct-to-consumer product doesn’t mean that we’re going to exist the traditional pay-TV market place.”

Edited by marco102