• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

To be Eastern Conference contenders next year, what do we need to do?

NBASupes

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

What do I think we need? 

1. A big wing who can start and hit a corner three. Targets: Covington, Tucker, Crowder, and Prince. Draft target: Issac Okoro?

What if we don't get said player: I think it could be our biggest need. Especially 

2. A PF who can provide flexibility, can shoot and scorer at a high level for their usage and can even be used eventually as a big wing on defense.

Targets: Davis Bertrans. Draft targets: Deni Avdija, Obi Toppin.

3. A PG who can be a stud backup PG in the draft who can shoot

Draft targets: Cole Anthony, Tyrell Terry, Malachi Flynn, etc.. 

4. A sharpshooter as a wing. We could use another shooter, especially if we do not add 1-3. 

Targets: Joe Harris, KCP, etc. Draft targets: Aaron Nesmith Trade Targets: Buddy Hield 

1. Jerami Grant hit 39% this year, 35% for his career from 3, Big Wing

2. Bertans fit this bill

3. I think we need a Vet presence at PG, but I do like Killian Hayes as a combo

4. Grant and Bertans, or a wing from the draft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is more of a mock but I'll give it a go

LP..No more stupid lineups.

Trae..Cut down the turnovers and bad shots. Try harder on defense.

Huerter..Stay healthy. Get to the FT line more.

Cam..Keep improving finishing in the paint and 3 pt shooting.

Hunter.. Improve perimeter D and Ball handling skills.

Collins..Improve on D and Playmaking.

Capela..Stay healthy. 

Draft.. I cant make up my mind at #6, so I traded it to Boston(they want Okungwu)  for #14, #27, and #30 

FA.. Teague/Skal/Crowder/Clarkson or Galloway(1 yr deal)

Trae/Teague/Tre Jones(#27)

Cam/Huerter/Clarkson/Desmond Bane(#30)

Hunter/Crowder/Nesmith(#14)

Collins/Skal/Crowder

Capela/Dedmon/Bruno

Thats a playoff team in the East if healthy..I drafted 3 players I think can contribute a little bit next season...

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To be actual contenders? You have to find a way to get Giannis on the roster. While you are doing that, get at the very minimum Bertans.

If you mean actual contenders you need at least a Superstar and and some stars around him. 

If you mean a playoff team then hope some guys develop and scrape the middle barrel for guys like Derrick Jones Jr and pray. 

I’ll keep it simple

Need to improve defense, performance as a team. Trae and perhaps John are going to be defensive negatives for the team. They need to improve enough so that their positives on offense are bigger that their negatives.

Cam and Hunter need to step up a lot, become average wings next year. Positive WARP.

Capela needs to stay healthy.

Need to complete the team with a PG, wing, a forward and a wing are my choices. Dunn, Napier, Ferrel, Mcrae, KCP, Korkmaz, Derrick Jones Jr might be cheap options. Christian Wood, Joe Harris, Jae Crowder, would be more expensive but a perfect addition for the team. I would go with Dunn, KCP, Derrick Jones Jr and Wood. 

draft BPA, Okongwu or Hali for me.

I think it would be reasonable to expect individual and collective growth from our core (better D, lower turnovers, consistent scoring). We need to build the rest of the roster if we want to push for a deep playoff run.

I think this has been largely dismissed, but I would love to see a big push for Fred VanVleet. He could get the minutes he wants here starting at SG and backing up Trea. 

Then either sign Chiorzza or draft the 3rd PG.

This would push either Cam or Hunter to the bench (which ever is hot gets the start at SF). 

I'd try to get either Otto Porter Jr or Derrick Jones Jr for SF depth. I'd also try to get either Bertans or Christian Wood for PF depth, with Collins getting some minutes as a small C behind Capela. 

Whoever we draft would either be the 3rd or 4th option for their position or just send them to College Park. We shouldn't expect too much of anyone in this draft for this year. Not having any concern of trying to find the best fit will allow us the freedom to truly select BPA regardless of position. 

I'd be open to seeing if we could get anything in return for Huerter or Dedmond, future assets wise. If not, they can stay. If we could trade Dedmond, I'd like to bring in Nerlens Noel as the third C.

Roster looking something like this:

Trae/FVV/Chiozza or draft pick

FVV/Cam/Huerter 

Cam/Hunter/Derrick JonesJr or Otto Porter Jr

Collins/Hunter/Bertans or Wood/Skal

Capela/Collins/Dedmond or Noel/Bruno

Plus one or two draft picks, any position.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I think it would be reasonable to expect individual and collective growth from our core (better D, lower turnovers, consistent scoring). We need to build the rest of the roster if we want to push for a deep playoff run.

I think this has been largely dismissed, but I would love to see a big push for Fred VanVleet. He could get the minutes he wants here starting at SG and backing up Trea. 

I would pass on signing FVV for $20+ million.  He works at SG because Lowry is a bulldog on defense at PG. Same can't be said for Trae.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I would pass on signing FVV for $20+ million.  He works at SG because Lowry is a bulldog on defense at PG. Same can't be said for Trae.

I don't think he's too shabby at D himself, so I think it could be enough to work. If he backs up Trae for 15 min, we can put Cam next to him.

I really want to see a legit threat at SG. I'd love to see someone like Booker or Donovan Mitchell back there, but that's not happening. I think FVV could be our best shot at getting someone locked in for years that could provide much more than what we could expect from Cam or Kevin offensively. 

• Premium Member

How will the Hawks,  look to take the leap?

The Hawks have assembled a young, promising talent base. All five of their leading minute-earners this season were 22 or younger, led by Trae Young and John Collins. After three consecutive losing seasons, Atlanta owns the sixth pick in the draft and is one of only a handful of teams with significant cap space this offseason.

Where do they turn in the draft? A complementary orchestrator and shooter to pair alongside Young, like Tyrese Haliburton? A defensive wing who’s raw but offers a high ceiling, like Isaac Okoro? Do the Hawks make another trade with their lottery pick, as they have the past two drafts? On the free-agent front, Davis Bertans and Jerami Grant are believed to be top targets. Either veteran would bring new dimensions to the roster while, ironically, making Atlanta younger: last year the rotation included Vince Carter, who at 43 was as old as Young and Collins combined. Landing Bertans or Grant would signal expectations have changed.

Past results never ensure future outcomes. While this year’s top teams were light years away from contending five years ago, the Knicks, the Hornets, the Pistons and the Kings were bad then and remain so. The turnarounds of the Lakers, Nuggets, Heat and Celtics remind us anything is possible. It’s up to the Hawks, Bulls, Spurs and Pelicans to catch the wave before it crashes and leaves them lost at sea.