• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is there any good reason why Cam should NOT start next season?

Bonkers

If there is please enlighten me. Because I cant find a reason. If the season starts and Huerter is starting over him then something is wrong and LP will be gambling with his job

There is no reason to have 2 backcourt players who can't play defense on the court at the same time knowing that defense is a HUGE problem with this team

Agree or disagree?

Edited by Bonkers

37 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

If there is please enlighten me. Because I cant find a reason. If the season starts and Huerter is starting over him then something is wrong and LP will be gambling with his job

There is no reason to have 2 backcourt players who can't play defense on the court at the same time knowing that defense is a HUGE problem with this team

Agree or disagree?

None that I can think of. It's horrible enough watching Trae try to defend, add him & Huerter together is when I start to feel queasy. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Carmine said:

None that I can think of. It's horrible enough watching Trae try to defend, add him & Huerter together is when I start to feel queasy. 

Who are u telling lol. Like I said before if LP starts the season off with both of them starting in the backcourt, he's gambling with his job

That is not smart at all

• Like 1

Somebody mentioned that Huerter's BBIQ via experience in the system may give him an edge versus Cam. 
IDK if I agree but, if the idea is to limit mental errors and turnovers which lead to easy buckets, then I see the logic.

Cam is clearly a better player but that doesn't guarantee a starting spot. 

I want him on the court to open and close though. Let Kev/Dre work out the who is hotter this game scenario.

the only reason would be because Pierce is stupid. Cam is a starter in this league. Heurter isn't. I don't wanna hear all this baby sitter logic to sit a rising star behind an inferior player that wouldn't start on any quality teams. I swear on everything if Heurter shows up again with the same weak body......

• Moderators

They both need to improve on the defensive end.   Cam is a ton better but it's not like he was playing great team defense all the time.  It was just great to watch him individually lock guys down or recover from mistakes.   

But basically i agree with the OP.  We're counting on Cam to be a star so let's roll with him.

6 hours ago, MaceCase said:

I'll bite the bait and answer.  Maybe because he had a comically bad rookie season from an offensive standpoint?

I can't shake the feeling that this may be a classic example of "When they love you, you can do no wrong.  When they hate you, you can do no right."

I say this because Kevin and Cam have a lot of similarities in both their positives but especially the warts.  The inconsistency, the passiveness, the constantly hampered by minor nicks and injuries yet both are viewed in entirely different lights based on the fanbase's desire for their respective futures.

I can't quite put my finger on to exactly why but I do have a few theories:

1) Their predraft pedigree?  One was a high school darling that went to Duke and severely underwhelmed, the other more of a diamond in the rough that came out of relative obscurity in high school to 'whelm at Maryland.  The feeling here is that one hasn't skimmed their potential whereas the other has mostly fulfilled it.

2) Their draft buddy?  Kevin came in with Trae who is an absolute hit so his contributions are lessened whereas Cam came in with Hunter who didn't exactly excite, at all, so Cam's contributions are heightened.

3) The circumstances of their pick acquisitions?  Huerter is a product of quickly getting rid of a certified bust in Adreian Payne so meh, good on us.  Cam is a secondary product of swapping out an All-NBA 1st teamer so... he better be given every opportunity to be great.

TL;DR:  Since the OP decided to focus on Huerter's position in the starting lineup and Hunter is seemingly Teflon in regards to being benched, the argument is: depends. 

If we're going to make a basic obscure bottom line analysis based on what we've seen and not what we hope then this comes down to a battle between post-ankle-injury Korver 2.0 vs Bembry 2.0.  If the belief is that Trae has absolutely zero avenue of improving defensively then he needs to be surrounded by as many capable defenders as possible while the team continues to rely solely on him to drive the offense.  If the belief is Trae can improve defensively with a lightened offensive workload then he needs to be surrounded by other capable offensive threats that he can play off of.

Thank you for being the "bad guy" in this.  I was looking at both guys numbers to see if a case could be made for Huerter starting over Cam.   Cam had the better 2nd half of the season from a scoring and efficiency standpoint.  Kevin, however, is the better secondary playmaker at this time.  And he's the better shooter overall.

Cam can definitely develop into a secondary playmaker, but I think LP simply wanted him to focus on scoring the basketball when he came off the bench. He played better off the bench, than when he was a starter. It was almost like night and day.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Kevin, however, is the better secondary playmaker at this time. 

I know the numbers support this but the eyeball test didn't as much.  The dude threw some of the worst passes at the worst times.  Mistakes that can be cleaned up for sure but i'm not sold that that will be a big part of his game.