• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

After our starting five.....

Gray Mule

Last season, after our starters, we know things didn't look too good.

We have some of the same bench returning.  Yet, we feel that the upcoming season will be much better.  Writers who do not closely follow the Hawks believe we will only be slightly better.  Last season, our bench was a disaster.  We had expensive players who really didn't want to be here and didn't care, apparently, whether we won or lost.

Yes, we have returning bench players but none of these guys are here.  They were moved or released.  Those who remain, for the most part, are keepers.  

Three young players from last season find two starters and one off the bench.  Huerter, Hunter and Reddish are all good and one starts on the bench.  This may change from game to game.  Joining the bench player out of this three we find Dedmon, Fernando, Bremby and Labissiere.  Goodwin, Jones, Graham, Teague & Brown Jr.

Free agency, the draft and trades will surely change things.  But, just looking at our bench, Atlanta will be better.

Who do we keep?  Who do we add?  If next season begins in December, things must start moving soon...

:wub:

• Like 3

Goodwin and Brown Jr will be kept around for the Skyhawks at the very least.

I see them upgrading Teague and Bembry via draft/fa.

Skal is tough because wants to be here. His return is not guaranteed but zi would hang on to him if it were me as a reserve big man.

Say goodbye to Jones and Graham. 

Dedmon and Bruno come back as reserves but could also be moved in a trade before or during the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Although he's far from a starter, our young core consider Bruno a part of their group.  Having Capela and Dedmon on the same team should be a plus in his growing.

Travis has wanted Skal on his team for a long time.  We read about how well he seemed to fit on the very brief get together that the NBA allowed recently.  Knowing all this, expect him to be on the final team.

For Atlanta, it's been so long since anything has happened.  Now, suddenly, or so it seems, the draft, free agency and the start of the season (December) is just a short time away.  Pre season games in one month!  Trades are sure to happen in this time period.

Any one want to drop their $$$$ payroll this coming season?

:smug:

• Like 1

• Moderators

This is the offseason we have to bring in an Iguadola type vet to come off the bench.  Not sure who that is exactly.   We're in a really good spot though considering we have 6 young players who are all potential starters.   Backup PG, Backup Wing.   That's our list to fill basically.  We have a 3rd PG (goodwin), we have a backup C (dedmon), we have developing bigs (bruno, skal)

• Premium Member

This is where our roster stands (guaranteed contracts in bold):

PG: Trae Young, Jeff Teague (RFA), Brandon Goodwin (NG)
SG: Kevin Huerter, Cam Reddish, Treveon Graham (RFA)
SF: DeAndre Hunter,  DeAndre Bembry (RFA)
PF: John Collins, Skal Labissierre (RFA)
C - Clint Capela, Dewayne Dedmon, Bruno Fernando Damian Jones (RFA)

Goodwin is a 3rd stringer at best, back to GLeague most likely. As @Gray Mule noted, TS has had eyes for Skal for awhile and his willingness to play in the training camp bubble, I will assume he will be back.  Jones, Bembry and Graham gone.  Teague is the wild card - if we can upgrade his position at a reasonable cost, great, if not he'll be back.

So position needs are Backup PG, SF/Wings and PF

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

A thought just occurred to me that guys like Teague, Bembry, Graham that are familiar with the team and system might now be brought back for continuity just because of the quick December season start  and the shortened offseason.

I think the Hawks:

1. Sign one long term FA player , a 2+1 team option contract  (have your pick of Harris, Bertans and Grant)

2. fill in the rest of the roster with 1 year deals 

3. Take on a player with a contract (NBA caliber) for a 1st from a team looking to cut cost.

• Like 1

• Admin
5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is where our roster stands (guaranteed contracts in bold):

PG: Trae Young, Jeff Teague (RFA), Brandon Goodwin (NG)
SG: Kevin Huerter, Cam Reddish, Treveon Graham (RFA)
SF: DeAndre Hunter,  DeAndre Bembry (RFA)
PF: John Collins, Skal Labissierre (RFA)
C - Clint Capela, Dewayne Dedmon, Bruno Fernando Damian Jones (RFA)

Goodwin is a 3rd stringer at best, back to GLeague most likely. As @Gray Mule noted, TS has had eyes for Skal for awhile and his willingness to play in the training camp bubble, I will assume he will be back.  Jones, Bembry and Graham gone.  Teague is the wild card - if we can upgrade his position at a reasonable cost, great, if not he'll be back.

So position needs are Backup PG, SF/Wings and PF

I am interested in seeing what Skal can do ... Dedmon can be a nice trade asset with his contract.  I amnot really interested in any of our other free agents.

I still would like to get Dunn, a swiss army knife like Grant and maybe take a flier on Harry Giles.  None of them would cost too much. 

• Like 1

Trae

Cam/Huerter

Hunter

Collins/Skal

Capela/Dedmon/Fernando

These are the players that will come back next season. Main needs are backup PG, two wings and a backup PF. All of those should be quality players. One of these will come from draft.

Best players are Okongwu and Hali.

Best FAs in my opinion are Dunn, Napier, Teague, Korkmaz, Joe Harris, KCP, Bogdanovic, Crowder, Grant, Bertans, Wood.

My best scenario would be

Trae/Haliburton/Napier

Cam/Huerter/KCP

Hunter/Crowder/draft

Collins/Wood/Skal

Capela/Dedmon/Fernando

• Like 1

Hawks greatest weakness beginning last season was at center.

Into the season, Capela became a Hawk.  He was out, injured.  Hawks believed him to be border line all star before the injury.  He has healed and ready for the rigors of the NBA.

If he is as good as we have been lead to believe, why would we trade him before we even get to watch him preform as a Hawk?  If a bunch of our team didn't like him, that might be a reason.  But, it can't be.  They all like him!  He's a vocal leader on the floor.  Hawks need this.

I know.  I know.  I see trade ideas.  Hawks give up one or two of their projected starting five for one of our unwanted veteran players who's contract is expiring at season's end.  Wow!  What a deal!

If we listened to all the trade ideas mentioned, College Park would end up with a better team than Atlanta.  Our GM has mentioned that he wants a veteran player or two.  Travis has not said that he is going o tear down what we have.  

I know.  Good players cost.  Therefore, our good players that we have right now will not come cheap !!

:sun: