• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBC/Ringer - Hawks Looking to Trade Pick for Vet

AHF

• Premium Member
On 11/3/2020 at 7:34 PM, Threezus said:

The only problem i have with trading for Beal is how bad his defense has gotten over the last few years.  It was literally worse than trae's last year on certain sites metrics.  That scares the ever loving crap out of me if he stays that way still after putting him next to trae.  That is EASILYYYYYYYYYYY the worst defensive backcourt in nba history.  Now if having Trae carry the offense a good bit and letting Beal not work as hard on the offensive side free's him up to go back to old beal a better defender.  Then i think it works out great but i don't know if i want to give up what it takes to get beal to do so.  When i could probably give up the same or less for a guy like Brown from the Celtics and get a true 2 way SG next to him thats young.   But the upside is much higher with the Beal pairing if it does work how we hope it does.

When you look at defense, you have to look at coaching and then you have to look at ability. 

Kevin Johnson and Mark Price were two of the worst defensive players to play the game.   Based on ability.   However, coaching can make up the difference if you have a player with ability.   I think Beal has ability. 

If nothing else, we can play a 2-3 matchup Zone. 

hides a multitude of sins. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I hope everybody is noticing that the East is getting Stronger. 

Miami, Philly, Milwaukee, Toronto, Boston, 

Add in Brooklyn. 

That's 6 guaranteed Playoff spots. 

The rest of us are fighting for those final 2. 

I can see Philly and Toronto taking a step back, as they have no room to grow. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, warcore said:

I can see Philly and Toronto taking a step back, as they have no room to grow. 

Doc Rivers and Kyle Lowry says different. 

The Doc Effect will have Philly looking really good.  Especially after Morey makes some blockbuster moves.   They may get Harden. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Doc Rivers and Kyle Lowry says different. 

The Doc Effect will have Philly looking really good.  Especially after Morey makes some blockbuster moves.   They may get Harden. 

Doc and Lowry do say different.... they say, "where's the nearest donut shop?"

Morey kept going up and up and up with HOU until he hit the ceiling. Philly is at their ceiling. 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Diesel said:

I hope everybody is noticing that the East is getting Stronger. 

Miami, Philly, Milwaukee, Toronto, Boston, 

I don't necessarily disagree but we have to remember that people say this every year.   And teams flame out because of the lack of star talent.   I'm not sold on Toronto or Philly but they are probably playoff teams.  with the Nets that makes 6.  

• Thanks 2

On 11/3/2020 at 6:34 PM, Threezus said:

The only problem i have with trading for Beal is how bad his defense has gotten over the last few years.  It was literally worse than trae's last year on certain sites metrics.  That scares the ever loving crap out of me if he stays that way still after putting him next to trae.  That is EASILYYYYYYYYYYY the worst defensive backcourt in nba history.  Now if having Trae carry the offense a good bit and letting Beal not work as hard on the offensive side free's him up to go back to old beal a better defender.  Then i think it works out great but i don't know if i want to give up what it takes to get beal to do so.  When i could probably give up the same or less for a guy like Brown from the Celtics and get a true 2 way SG next to him thats young.   But the upside is much higher with the Beal pairing if it does work how we hope it does.

In the NBA, the ability to defend as a team far outweighs the ability for individuals to defend.  16 of the top 18 teams in Defensive Effective FG% made the playoffs.  6 of the top 7 teams in Defensive Rebounding % made the playoffs, with Miami and the LA Lakers being #3 and #7 respectively in this category.  ( Hawks were #28 in Defensive Rebounding %, by the way ).

People talk about Trae like he's the reason why the Hawks defense was bad.  This is not true, because Trae isn't the person that was attacked the most often.  When you look at Trae's Defensive dashboard, you'll see that only around 10 - 11 ppg was directly attributed to Trae being scored on.  In fact, the highest point total that a guy scored on Trae, was Kendrick Nunn with 18 points scored on Trae.

Now granted, some of these lower point totals may be due to the fact that Trae was either being "hidden" on defense at times, or received helped from someone else to get the ball out of that player's hands.  But it's not like teams were literally targeting Trae on defense.   The entire team got cooked on defense.

But when you talk about defense, you can't discount offense.  Trae and Bradley would be a matchup NIGHTMARE for any team in the league, and would be comparable to Lillard and McCollum in offensive impact.  With Cam on the team, he'd draw the defensive assignment against the highest scoring wing.  And if we keep the team BIG on the frontline, instead of trying to play SFs at the 4, the defense should be fine, while the offense has the potential to be very good.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Diesel said:

When you look at defense, you have to look at coaching and then you have to look at ability. 

Kevin Johnson and Mark Price were two of the worst defensive players to play the game.   Based on ability.   However, coaching can make up the difference if you have a player with ability.   I think Beal has ability. 

If nothing else, we can play a 2-3 matchup Zone. 

hides a multitude of sins. 

That's how Miami hides Herro and Robinson when they play them together.