• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nate McMillan Possible Addition To Hawks Coaching Staff

Dynamo

26 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Honestly I'm suspicious when a guy like Mcmillan gets 'added' to a young coaches staff.   Seems like owners putting a guy in place to take over if the current head coach doesn't achieve. 

Right, seems like this is a "put up or shut up" season for Pierce. 

Ownership and front office are doing everything but coming out and saying they expect us to have a winning record and make the playoffs THIS year.

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Honestly I'm suspicious when a guy like Mcmillan gets 'added' to a young coaches staff.   Seems like owners putting a guy in place to take over if the current head coach doesn't achieve. 

Honestly ... I'm suspicious of you, macd!

No but, if that was the plan, they surely wouldn't execute it with Nate McMillan.

44 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

Right, seems like this is a "put up or shut up" season for Pierce. 

Ownership and front office are doing everything but coming out and saying they expect us to have a winning record and make the playoffs THIS year.

This is a put up or shut up season tho.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I thought that too, but if it was anybody but Nate.  Just don't see that as the long term solution.

22 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Honestly ... I'm suspicious of you, macd!

No but, if that was the plan, they surely wouldn't execute it with Nate McMillan.

This is a put up or shut up season tho.  

I think most of us have been saying as much.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I thought that too, but if it was anybody but Nate.  Just don't see that as the long term solution.

I think most of us have been saying as much.

I think of it more as a guy who could pick up as interim without a problem more than a long term solution.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, macdaddy said:

I think of it more as a guy who could pick up as interim without a problem more than a long term solution.  

Then if you are looking for just an interim to end the season, then experiment is already doomed.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Then if you are looking for just an interim to end the season, then experiment is already doomed.

Doesn't have to be just that - could be he is viewed first and foremost as someone who can drive improvements on the defensive side of the ball where it is most needed.  Then as a minor additional benefit in a downside scenario he could also fill as an interim.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

Doesn't have to be just that - could be he is viewed first and foremost as someone who can drive improvements on the defensive side of the ball where it is most needed.  Then as a minor additional benefit in a downside scenario he could also fill as an interim.

I agree that he can help the defense.  My initial response was about him taking over if LP falters.  I don't like him as the long term solution.

• Moderators
20 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

I'd really like OKC assistant and emergency anthem singer Mo Cheeks, if he doesn't snag the top Thunder job himself, but Nate Mac would be a good fit, especially if he can heLP on the team defensive strategies.

~lw3

Cheeks Update: Mo's on his way up to Chi-town to rejoin Billy D.

Meanwhile, at least he got a statue out of his time down south. Now, there's a 'Fro I'd fear!

Maurice__Mo__Cheeks_Statue_Placed_at_Fir

https://www.amarillo.com/sports/20190222/cheeks-statue-debuts-at-event-center

~lw3

• Haha 2

• Moderators

I'll be interested to see if there is an actual functional offense under Donovan in Chicago.  He never had one in OKC and wasted some high end individuals in failing to do so.  Maybe with more role players he will put something together.  Definitely not envious of that hire even though I'm still fond of Donovan from his days in Lexington.  Still think he should return to the college game where he can win via recruiting (like every other top program).  

32 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I agree that he can help the defense.  My initial response was about him taking over if LP falters.  I don't like him as the long term solution.

I'm not pumped about him as a long-term solution either.  He could be out along with the rest of the coaching staff if LP doesn't step up this year.  And of course TS has to step up first.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kg01 said:

Some people think this puts CLP on notice.  Nah, it's Melvin Hunt who should be ....

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47l5f2mjpcbgrkxgu32s

Honestly believed that its always better for a coaching staff, particularly one with a first timer head coach, that has at least one guy with previous head coaching experience sitting on the bench to act as the sage/mentor/springboard.  If you can't find that then at least find a guy who has been an assistant since most the league had afros and mutton chops.

I never believed that Pierce, Schlenk, and/or Ressler did themselves any favors with filling out the coaching staff and couldn't pinpoint whether it was inexperience, ego, or finances that led to the current (previous?) staff.  Nash is starting with D'Antoni, Kerr had Gentry, Kidd had Lawrence Frank, Luke Walton had Brian Shaw, Lue had Drew etc.  Starting a rebuild with Pierce and Melvin with all of his ~20 games worth of head coach experience wasn't the best idea.  You can only get away with that if you're bringing on some wunderkind like Brad Stevens or some long suffering assistant with some catchy revolutionary system like Bud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

I don't think he failed as a coach in Indiana. He had some good players but no superstars outside the one superstar season from Oladipo that he has never gotten back to due to injury. Look at who they played in the playoffs. If you have no superstar against those teams...what coach is going to win against that.

If he comes here on the staff I think it would be a bonus. I don't like LP as our HC and am beyond tired of his "I still haven't put in my REAL defense...just wait" answer to questions about the Hawks yearly terrible team defense.

• Like 2