Nate McMillan Possible Addition To Hawks Coaching Staff

Dynamo

19 hours ago, kg01 said:

Some people think this puts CLP on notice.  Nah, it's Melvin Hunt who should be ....

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47l5f2mjpcbgrkxgu32s

They're looking at Melvin like those consultants looked at that dude in Office Space...

'Melvin, what exactly do you do here?'

'I'm a people person, I have great people skills!'

(Consultants giving him a stoic, confused look in response...)

Edited by Dejay
  • Haha 4

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I hate to throw out negative energy but I'm just going to go ahead and call that Nate will get all the credit from a faction of the fanbase when the Hawks starting winning this year.

More likely scenario is he takes over for Loyd Pierce after another abysmal start. This is HC insurance. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dejay said:

They're looking at Melvin like those consultants looked at that dude in Office Space...

'Melvin, what exactly do you do here?'

'I'm a people person, I have great people skills!'

(Consultants giving him a stoic, confused look in response...)

Melvin is all ...

https://giphy.com/gifs/office-space-michael-bolton-just-play-the-game-24Do2EXP3Qbok

5 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

More likely scenario is he takes over for Loyd Pierce after another abysmal start. This is HC insurance. 

Not likely.  There's literally no reason to do that.

Edited by kg01
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

On 11/4/2020 at 2:41 PM, kg01 said:

Some people think this puts CLP on notice.  Nah, it's Melvin Hunt who should be ....

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47l5f2mjpcbgrkxgu32s

It definitely puts LP on notice.   

Hiring Nate gives LP an experienced voice to bounce things off of.  But this is also an easy temporary successor to LP, if Schlenk decides to go in a different direction at the end of the season.  Nate is a coach that can get you to the playoffs, but won't win you a playoff series ( 1 - 8 in his career in the 1st round ).  So while Nate maybe isn't a long term answer from a "contending for a championship" standpoint, he'd be the natural transition from LP, if for some reason Pierce can't improve the team.

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It definitely puts LP on notice.   

Hiring Nate gives LP an experienced voice to bounce things off of.  But this is also an easy temporary successor to LP, if Schlenk decides to go in a different direction at the end of the season.  Nate is a coach that can get you to the playoffs, but won't win you a playoff series ( 1 - 8 in his career in the 1st round ).  So while Nate maybe isn't a long term answer from a "contending for a championship" standpoint, he'd be the natural transition from LP, if for some reason Pierce can't improve the team.

Clp hired Nate so ... no, it doesn't (put him on notice).

If ownership/management was so dissuaded on clp to the point where they forced him to hire a potential interim option, they would've fired clp in the first place.

You don't hire an assistant 'in case we have to fire your hc'.  If you have to fire your hc, you just pick some rando to finish out the season.  If anything, you hire an up and coming hc prospect.  Does anyone think Nate is an up and comer?

Stop trying to make this something it's not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Clp hired Nate so ... no, it doesn't (put him on notice).

If ownership/management was so dissuaded on clp to the point where they forced him to hire a potential interim option, they would've fired clp in the first place.

You don't hire an assistant 'in case we have to fire your hc'.  If you have to fire your hc, you just pick some rando to finish out the season.  If anything, you hire an up and coming hc prospect.  Does anyone think Nate is an up and comer?

Stop trying to make this something it's not.

It happens a lot more than you think.

If the Hawks are healthy, but they struggle mightily out the gate, you don't think LP's job is in jeopardy?  Hopefully he'd last through the year.  But like I said, the NBA doesn't wait for bad teams to get good. 

If the Hawks are at or near last place by MLK day, LP is gone, and Nate will be the interim coach until the end of the year.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If the Hawks are healthy, but they struggle mightily out the gate, you don't think LP's job is in jeopardy?  Hopefully he'd last through the year.  But like I said, the NBA doesn't wait for bad teams to get good. 

If the Hawks are at or near last place by MLK day, LP is gone, and Nate will be the interim coach until the end of the year.

What happens a lot more than I think?  That teams hire potential replacement coaches? I'd say that almost never happens.

What is common is that management has a succession plan in place based on their current staff.  But that's not what we're talking about.

We're talking about an organization being so shaky in their confidence in their head coach that they force him to go out and hire his own potential replacement for, based on your proposed timing, one month into the season.  That happens a lot?  A guy's asked to hire his own potential replacement a lot?

Do I think his job is in jeopardy?  Probably not in the way that you and many others are oddly rooting for.

But I do think he/they need to show marked improvement this year or he could be replaced.  That's obvious to everyone.

Why are so many of y'all so keen on having us go through upheaval?  Y'all are openly rooting for it.  It makes no sense.

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Agreed.  I want to see the Hawks succeed this year and think we'll be working towards a playoff run so I focus more on the "Nate is an experienced voice who has shown significant ability to construct an effective defense and should enhance our ability to effect major progress as an Assistant Coach" angle than the "if we go down like a garbage fire Nate will step in." 

31 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

won't win you a playoff series 

I will say that Nate's teams have made the playoffs consistently but he has never had a team that had remotely competitive odds of winning a series so I wouldn't say he can't win a series there.  Instead, I will definitely agree he hasn't and he hasn't gotten his team to punch above its weight class at all in the playoffs.  (He has gotten his teams to outperform what they should do on paper in the regular season which is likely part of the cause of those lopsided playoff mismatches his teams have faced where some of his teams would likely not have made the playoffs at all under another coach.)  If you made him coach of the Lakers this season, for example, he would sure as **** have won you a playoff series.  Give him a roster like the Thunder or Trailblazers and ask him to beat the Lakers and it won't happen because the Lakers are way better.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AHF said:

If you made him coach of the Lakers this season, for example, he would sure as **** have won you a playoff series.  Give him a roster like the Thunder or Trailblazers and ask him to beat the Lakers and it won't happen because the Lakers are way better.

Isn't this true of every coach?  

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Isn't this true of every coach?  

Which is I said that it isn't necessarily that Nate can't win a series.  He couldn't win one with the players he had and the opponents they faced.  One is about the coach preventing the team from winning and the other about the matchups.  He isn't a miracle worker in the playoffs and to win one of those series I think he would have had to have worked some miracles.