• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

In Shining Armor (Nathan Knight)

lethalweapon3

With our #6 draft pick and Clint Capela, both centers, out for tonight's 1st pre season game, Bruno becomes the center most likely to start and Nathan Knight available as his back up before we get to PF Collins.

:hi:

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

With our #6 draft pick and Clint Capela, both centers, out for tonight's 1st pre season game, Bruno becomes the center most likely to start and Nathan Knight available as his back up before we get to PF Collins.

:hi:

If CC and OO are out out, I expect JC to get plenty of minutes at center and our best lineups to be ones with him at center.

31 minutes ago, AHF said:

If CC and OO are out out, I expect JC to get plenty of minutes at center and our best lineups to be ones with him at center.

I definitely expect John to get some play with Gallo but it is pre-season. Bruno and Knight better play. This may be the most time they get to see on court with us for awhile and we have to make good use of it. They may be called upon mid-season based on multiple things that can happen and we need them as comfortable and ready to go as possible.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, sillent said:

I definitely expect John to get some play with Gallo but it is pre-season. Bruno and Knight better play. This may be the most time they get to see on court with us for awhile and we have to make good use of it. They may be called upon mid-season based on multiple things that can happen and we need them as comfortable and ready to go as possible.

Knight doesn't matter to me whether he plays significant minutes or not.  If he develops into something that is gravy.  I am looking forward to seeing what Bruno brings to the table.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

Knight doesn't matter to me whether he plays significant minutes or not.  If he develops into something that is gravy.  I am looking forward to seeing what Bruno brings to the table.  

In a regular season I'd understand. I believe this season we may need all hands on deck from the get go because of all the unknowns which is why we are at a full 17 at the start of the season. Clint and Okongwu are already going to be sitting out and unfortunately this may not be the only time things like that occur this year which would leave Bruno and Knight as our only back ups and Collins starting out of position. If we have to see that in stretches than I definitely want Bruno and Knight to be ready to go. Next man up not oh nooo we're in trouble now.

• Like 1

Just now, sillent said:

In a regular season I'd understand. I believe this season we may need all hands on deck from the get go because of all the unknowns which is why we are at a full 17 at the start of the season. Clint and Okongwu are already going to be sitting out and unfortunately this may not be the only time things like that occur this year which would leave Bruno and Knight as our only back ups and Collins starting out of position. If we have to see that in stretches than I definitely want Bruno and Knight to be ready to go. Next man up not oh nooo we're in trouble now.

Also I think Knight is a sleeper and could surprise us like Duncan Robinson for the Heat which will be good down the road as our young core continues to increase to about 8 or 9

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, sillent said:

Also I think Knight is a sleeper and could surprise us like Duncan Robinson for the Heat which will be good down the road as our young core continues to increase to about 8 or 9

I hope that is all correct.  I'm just not going to be jumping down LP's throat if Knight gets only 8 minutes or something.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Helluva 1st game.

He crushed it tonight. Not going to pretend like I has any expectations for this kid. But he is really making me want to learn more. I did not expect him to see the floor at all with 16 bodies ahead of him but I was wrong. 
Great job Knight 

• Like 4

I think he could be a decent backup PF on the league, good shooter, can defend but not big C and runs the floor well, I don’t know if he can be a roll big but overall I like what I saw yesterday. One of those gems you should keep and sign that will provide good value for minimum contract an allow you to save money for other positions.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

He's 6'10" and 253. Who said he can't play center? He's the perfect center for modern NBA outside of lacking a low post game but size wise he's about as good as you can get. It is criminal not to give him regular rotation minutes at this point.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

This is one of the few times in Hawks history that I feel pretty good about the Hawk's front court but of course Travis is trying to burst my bubble and screw around with John.  Knight should see regular minutes going forward.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I think two things.

1) It's hazardous to guess that because someone isn't getting minutes in games that they, necessarily then, shouldn't be getting minutes. That might not ordinarily be the case in a season where you've had the benefit of normal... normal training camp, normal preseason, normal spacing between games to permit practice, and not to be discounted... normal G-league.

That has implications to all of our young bigs, especially.

It's why I'm one of those who thinks it's stupid silly to presume any of them already are predestined for future disappointment or bust status.

2) It's hazardous to guess that because someone has accumulated these game logs...

LWR_Recording.png

... he's suddenly and automatically something special.

The theme of this post... there's some wisdom in not getting ahead of ourselves.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

This is one of the few times in Hawks history that I feel pretty good about the Hawk's front court but of course Travis is trying to burst my bubble and screw around with John.  Knight should see regular minutes going forward.

At the very least he should take Bruno's role of third C.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sturt said:

I think two things.

1) It's hazardous to guess that because someone isn't getting minutes in games that they, necessarily then, shouldn't be getting minutes. That might not ordinarily be the case in a season where you've had the benefit of normal... normal training camp, normal preseason, normal spacing between games to permit practice, and not to be discounted... normal G-league.

That has implications to all of our young bigs, especially.

It's why I'm one of those who thinks it's stupid silly to presume any of them already are predestined for future disappointment or bust status.

2) It's hazardous to guess that because someone has accumulated these game logs...

LWR_Recording.png

... he's suddenly and automatically something special.

The theme of this post... there's some wisdom in not getting ahead of ourselves.

I don't disagree with #2, but you'll never find out if he's the real deal if you don't keep playing him.  Look at how long of a leash Cam has right now.  The reality is, as @Gray Mule said in this thread and @bleachkit discussed in another thread, you don't get the same investment and opportunities of a first round pick, often times even when you are showing promise.  I hope we continue to develop Nathan and give him more meaningful minutes to see how he does over a larger sample size.  The guy has amazing instincts on defense and has been scoring efficiently as well.

• Like 2