• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Agency 2020!!

capstone21

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I want JC back and on a reasonable extension. 4/80 million. 

Not a chance. 

His 2+1 would be ~$90M guaranteed over three years. With all the cap space that will be out there next year, there's no way he'd take an AAV of $20M.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

Not a chance. 

His 2+1 would be ~$90M guaranteed over three years. With all the cap space that will be out there next year, there's no way he'd take an AAV of $20M.

He's either signing for the max or taking a very slim home town discount at this point...Probably the max.  Assuming 1 year down the road we're back to business as normal, the upcoming cap will go up a few million. He's going to get the max from someone and then we'll have to match. Given the cap goes up to $112 million next year (my estimate), Giving him the max will not put us in the LT but it will cost us one of Galli/BB in 2 years. When its Trae's turn.

• Premium Member
Just now, thecampster said:

He's either signing for the max or taking a very slim home town discount at this point...Probably the max.  Assuming 1 year down the road we're back to business as normal, the upcoming cap will go up a few million. He's going to get the max from someone and then we'll have to match. Given the cap goes up to $112 million next year (my estimate), Giving him the max will not put us in the LT but it will cost us one of Galli/BB in 2 years. When its Trae's turn.

In 2 years at age 34 Gallo and his $20 million will be off the books. would be my guess.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, thecampster said:

You wait these things out and sign him at the end of the year if you're confident he's getting the max at the end anyway.

This is what I've been saying.  There's no reason or compulsion to do the deal now unless it's for trade purposes.  Otherwise, just wait til you have to do the deal.  

12 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Question:

With Gallo and Bogi's contracts, would we be able to go over the Cap to re-sign them if we wanted to (and go into the tax)?  I guess I'm asking if we'd have their Bird rights to use or will they walk if we are over the Cap?  I don't want to be in a Boston / Hayward situation where the player leaves and we are over the cap so we have no recourse to replace them.  Is that where we'll be in 3 years?  

5 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Question:

With Gallo and Bogi's contracts, would we be able to go over the Cap to re-sign them if we wanted to (and go into the tax)?  I guess I'm asking if we'd have their Bird rights to use or will they walk if we are over the Cap?  I don't want to be in a Boston / Hayward situation where the player leaves and we are over the cap so we have no recourse to replace them.  Is that where we'll be in 3 years?  

We will have their bird rights if each plays out their full contracts. ( A team gets bird rights for having a player under contract for three years).  The question is Ressler willing to pay luxury tax to keep Gallo and Bogi.

Edited by marco102
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

We will have their bird rights if each plays out their full contracts. ( A team gets bird rights for having a player under contract for three years).  The question is Ressler willing to play luxury tax to keep Gallo and Bogi.

It's going to be interesting.  They signed away all their flexibility this off season so all of the growth of the team will need to be internal or through trades.  I would think if the team shows growth and gets better each year, he would be willing to pay the tax to contend for a title.  But if in 3 years this same team is still competing for a 5 or 6 seed and 1st round exit, there'd be no point to pay the tax.  

I think when you look at the roster, you can make the argument that 9 guys are still in their upward arc of their careers and could realistically improve from year to year over the next 3 years (Trae, JC, Bogi, Cam, Hunter, Huerter, Big O, Bruno, and Goodwin).  That's really exciting to me.  The others - Rondo, Gallo, Snell, Dunn, Capela, and Hill are what they are at this point, imo.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I'd go 5 years/ $130 million.  With declining salaries.  I think that's a fair deal for both sides. Even throw in a player option for the 5th year.

If you do it now I think that's a good deal for both sides. Depending on how this season goes, that may not be enough next year though. 

• Like 1

As I said A+ offseason for Hawks.

Team is one of the deepest on NBA and haa some upban coming players that should grow during the season. Size, defense, shooting, we have everyrhing we need.

I don't see any reason why this team should not win more rhan half of the games other than coaching, we improved in all areas, now is coaching time

2 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

As I said A+ offseason for Hawks.

Team is one of the deepest on NBA and haa some upban coming players that should grow during the season. Size, defense, shooting, we have everyrhing we need.

I don't see any reason why this team should not win more rhan half of the games other than coaching, we improved in all areas, now is coaching time

This is fair.

However, I'll step back a little and say we didn't really add much defensively.  That's where the staff will have to find a way to instill a better defensive culture.  We don't need to be the '85 Bears every night, just need to be able to get key stops.  Our offense should be dynamic on multiple levels.

• Like 2