• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Danilo Gallinari Signs with Hawks

PSSSHHHRRR87

I really don’t like the signing, too much money for 32 years old. I would have signed Bertans or Wood for their contracts, even paying more. 

He is injury prone, there is a decent chance you pay 20 a year for a guy that plays 30-40 games a season, that would be a huge ballast for our playoff chances. I just cannot understand why we did not go Bertans or Wood route.

He will play all minutes at 4, the thing people are not getting is that Collins is going to play significant minutes at the 5. Capela is also injury prone so they will try to keep him fresh, I doubt he plays more than 30, I think Collins play at least 12 at C. That is leaving nearly 30 minutes for Gallo at 4. Bruno will not see the court much.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, gurpilo said:

He will play all minutes at 4, the thing people are not getting is that Collins is going to play significant minutes at the 5. .

And this is precisely the reason I have problems with LP.  There should be no reason to play John at the 5 position this year...None!  Nor should Gallinari play a minute at center.  It would be just down right weird if you trade for a center, draft a center and have another young center on your team and still played your starting power forward or back up 4 at center!  But we all know LP

hace 1 hora, kg01 dijo:

So you preferred we sign dudes that didn't want to be here?  Do we tie them up and make them sign?  You realize it takes two to tango, right?

And there's gotta be a reason Wood keeps bouncing around.  Folks gotta stop pining after him.

Well we don't know if we have gone after them. At the end they are signing at Houston and Washington, teams surrounded by drama these days, with stars wanting to leave. Is very likely that if we have made a serious offer they would have signed here, this is not Hayward or Harris situation. 

Woj said it, this was the biggest contract paid ever for a 32 year old player. I think we are going to regret it a lot.

Edited by gurpilo
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Woj said it, this was the biggest contract paid ever for a 32 year old player. I think we are going to regret it a lot.

More money to spend means more will be spent though. The fact that it's only 3 years is a big plus.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Possible minutes rotation

PG - Trae ( 33 ) - Goodwin ( 12 ) - Huerter ( 3 )

G - Reddish ( 22 ) - Huerter ( 22 ) - Hunter ( 4 )

F - Hunter ( 24 ) - Gallo ( 18 ) - Reddish ( 6 )

PF - Collins ( 32 ) - Gallo ( 8 ) - Bruno ( 8 )

C - Capela ( 28 ) - Okongwu ( 12 ) - Bruno ( 8 )

• Trae ( 33 )
  • Collins ( 32 )
  • Capela ( 28 )
  • Hunter ( 28 )
  • Reddish ( 28 )

• Gallo ( 26 )
  • Huerter ( 25 )
  • Bruno ( 16 )
  • Goodwin ( 12 )
  • Okongwu ( 12 )

If you add Bogan to the lineup, you cut out the PT of one of the bigs ( Bruno or Okongwu ), play Gallo more at PF than at SF, and you increase the PT of Huerter at the point.  Also, you cut the minutes of whatever wing is playing poorly. No more automatic 26 minutes/game, if you're playing like crap.  The "hot hand" gets to play.

Possible minutes rotation w/Bogan in the lineup

PG - Trae ( 32 ) - Huerter ( 8 ) - Goodwin ( 8 )

G - Reddish ( 26 ) - Huerter ( 18 ) - Bogdan ( 4 )

F - Hunter ( 28 ) - Bogdan ( 20 )

PF - Collins ( 22 ) - Gallo ( 26 )

C - Capela ( 28 ) - Bruno/Okongwu ( 10 ) - Collins ( 10 )

• Trae ( 32 )
  • Collins ( 32 )
  • Capela ( 28 )
  • Hunter ( 28 )
  • Reddish ( 26 )

• Gallo ( 26 )
  • Huerter ( 26 )
  • Bogdan ( 24 )
  • Bruno/Okongwu ( 10 )
  • Goodwin ( 8 )

Possible minutes rotation w/Bogan and Rondo in the lineup

PG - Trae ( 32 ) - Rondo ( 16 )

G - Reddish ( 26 ) - Huerter ( 20 ) - Bogdan ( 4 )

• Trae ( 32 )
  • Collins ( 32 )
  • Capela ( 28 )
  • Hunter ( 28 )
  • Reddish ( 26 )

• Gallo ( 26 )
  • Bogdan ( 24 )
  • Huerter ( 20 )
  • Rondo ( 16 )
  • Bruno/Okongwu ( 10 )

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Possible minutes rotation w/Bogan in the lineup

PG - Trae ( 32 ) - Huerter ( 8 ) - Goodwin ( 8 )

G - Reddish ( 26 ) - Huerter ( 18 ) - Bogdan ( 4 )

• Trae ( 32 )
  • Collins ( 32 )
  • Capela ( 28 )
  • Hunter ( 28 )
  • Reddish ( 26 )

• Gallo ( 26 )
  • Huerter ( 26 )
  • Bogdan ( 24 )
  • Bruno/Okongwu ( 10 )
  • Goodwin ( 8 )

Possible minutes rotation w/Bogan and Rondo in the lineup

PG - Trae ( 32 ) - Rondo ( 16 )

G - Reddish ( 26 ) - Huerter ( 20 ) - Bogdan ( 4 )

• Trae ( 32 )
  • Collins ( 32 )
  • Capela ( 28 )
  • Hunter ( 28 )
  • Reddish ( 26 )

• Gallo ( 26 )
  • Bogdan ( 24 )
  • Huerter ( 20 )
  • Rondo ( 16 )
  • Bruno/Okongwu ( 10 )

Snell?

47 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Well we don't know if we have gone after them. At the end they are signing at Houston and Washington, teams surrounded by drama these days, with stars wanting to leave. Is very likely that if we have made a serious offer they would have signed here, this is not Hayward or Harris situation. 

Exactly.  So what are you complaining about?

We have no idea how anything would've played out.  Calling it "likely" is a stretch you're making to allow yourself to have something to complain about.

Who cares it's a record.  Contracts are growing so that "record" won't last long.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Snell?

The only way Snell cracks this lineup, is if we decide to go with a predominately 3 big rotation, with Huerter getting extended minutes at the point.   We're 2 deep everywhere now.  

Snell may get run during a back to back, or when people have nagging injuries.

My thing is with all of the bigs we have on the team now, there should absolutely be no reason why Deandre Hunter should play the 4, unless we're playing a team like Boston, who plays Tatum at the 4.  And even then, we should make Tatum defend a bigger 4 that can take him in the paint.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

He's also one of the best shooters in the league.  He's the type of player Trae can run pick and roll with, and absolutely devastate teams with.  Gallo can roll to the rim, or pop out to 3 point range.  That'll just open up the paint even more for Trae.

• Like 4

I haven’t watched him a lot.  Knew he was skilled and has the tendency to totally disappear.  His raw numbers aren’t great, I was expecting maybe a +4 between his ratings.  He’s +9 for his career, telling me he’s an excellent team player in the way of screening and helping.  The position he plays and who he takes minutes away from should be interesting.

Edited by benhillboy

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Of course, you know who had a lot to say about the Gallo signing and other free agent signings . . . 

Should've watched this before I posted it.  Stephen A isn't even in the clip.  Looks like click bait to get people to click on the link . . . it worked.

Still good stuff from Woj, with just a small blurb about Gallo.

• Haha 1

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Let's put this in perspective. Last season we paid a 31 year old Chandler Parsons $27 million. Look at Gallo has a $20 mil replacement 😄

Worrying about fitting everything into a tidy box regarding a seamless fit and minutes and positions is pointless.

Talent wins. The Hawks desperately needed talent across the board and got a top 10 FA the 1st day of FAcy.

Just let it play out.

Also, this is the type of contract that can be packaged to get a more significant player, because Gallo has the type of value that teams covet . . . a shooter.

So . .. say for some reason Giannis wants out.  Hawks can be like.  OK.  We'll give you Collins + Gallinari + (3) 1st round picks.   Gallinari's inflated salary now becomes key to making a deal like that work, without giving up the entire farm to get Giannis.

I miss the edit function.  I would've deleted that video.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

The fit/ego stuff needs to be figured out, but Gallo is worth this contract in a vacuum and he raises our talent level a lot. He was one of the 5 or so best FAs on the market.

I said 2yr/40 mil for Gallo. Ended up getting a third year. Hopefully he stays healthy. All the top shooters are getting 17 to 20 per. That's the going rate.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

He's also one of the best shooters in the league.  He's the type of player Trae can run pick and roll with, and absolutely devastate teams with.  Gallo can roll to the rim, or pop out to 3 point range.  That'll just open up the paint even more for Trae.

One thing to add to Gallo is his ability with the ball, to put it on the floor. The Hawks desperately needed someone that can.

• Like 2