• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Danilo Gallinari Signs with Hawks

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

I said 2yr/40 mil for Gallo. Ended up getting a third year. Hopefully he stays healthy. All the top shooters are getting 17 to 20 per. That's the going rate.

I'm waiting to see the contract structure, particularly on the last year.

• Premium Member

Here we go again

danilo-galliniari-thunder-clippers-2020-

Deal: 3 years/$61.5 million 

Grade: B-

Good for Gallo to get paid. The Hawks are clearing going for it and making a big investment here to pair alongside Trae Young. Can't blame them, but does this John Collins is on the block? That would be interesting. Regardless, Gallo is going to put up buckets and that's what Atlanta needs next to Young and that core. 

• Premium Member

Atlanta's Signing of Danilo Gallinari Steeped in Risk and Reward

23 of 34

ed28e82b1fad7bcce43dafe2ecb8b9d2_crop_ex
Kim Klement/Associated Press

Danilo Gallinari is joining the Hawks on a three-year, $61.5 million deal, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. His destination comes as little surprise given Atlanta and New York were the only two teams who entered Friday with max cap space.

Signing Gallinari fits with the Hawks' attempts to enter the Eastern Conference playoff picture and what they need most to do it: another consistent shot creator. He doesn't do much to beef up their playmaking behind Trae Young, but he should allow Atlanta's superstar to move around off the ball a teensy-bit more.

Mostly, though, Gallinari assures the Hawks of spacing and a stopgap. No team shot a lower percentage from three last season, and their offensive rating placed in the 3rd percentile whenever Young was off the floor. Gallinari gives them a line to substantially improving both marks, with the bandwidth to drum up their volume at the charity stripe to boot.

What this signing says about John Collins' future is less certain. Gallinari is best deployed at the 4. The Hawks are assuming a good amount of risk giving him $20 million-plus per year on average at the age of 32 and given his injury history. This investment is a lot harder to spin if they intend predominantly to use him at small forward. For now, their grade mostly reflects the downside attached to Gallinari in a vacuum. Figuring out the lineup intricacies is a job for later.

Grade: B

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
    1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Possible minutes rotation w/Bogan in the lineup

PG - Trae ( 32 ) - Huerter ( 8 ) - Goodwin ( 8 )

G - Reddish ( 26 ) - Huerter ( 18 ) - Bogdan ( 4 )

F - Hunter ( 28 ) - Bogdan ( 20 )

PF - Collins ( 22 ) - Gallo ( 26 )

C - Capela ( 28 ) - Bruno/Okongwu ( 10 ) - Collins ( 10 )

• Trae ( 32 )
    • Collins ( 32 )
    • Capela ( 28 )
    • Hunter ( 28 )
    • Reddish ( 26 )

• Gallo ( 26 )
    • Huerter ( 26 )
    • Bogdan ( 24 )
    • Bruno/Okongwu ( 10 )
    • Goodwin ( 8 )

Possible minutes rotation w/Bogan and Rondo in the lineup

PG - Trae ( 32 ) - Rondo ( 16 )

G - Reddish ( 26 ) - Huerter ( 20 ) - Bogdan ( 4 )

F - Hunter ( 28 ) - Bogdan ( 20 )

PF - Collins ( 22 ) - Gallo ( 26 )

C - Capela ( 28 ) - Bruno/Okongwu ( 10 ) - Collins ( 10 )

• Trae ( 32 )
    • Collins ( 32 )
    • Capela ( 28 )
    • Hunter ( 28 )
    • Reddish ( 26 )

• Gallo ( 26 )
    • Bogdan ( 24 )
    • Huerter ( 20 )
    • Rondo ( 16 )
    • Bruno/Okongwu ( 10 )

I think Bruno is going to be Capela's primary backup,  seeing the bulk of the minutes. Per Supes, he's really been good in the scrimmages/practices. I think that made easier to move Dedmon and not so much drafting Gwu.

Yes, I know we drafted Gwu, but he's 19, a rookie, hasn't played in a meaningful game in almost 11 months, it's now one month before the season starts, he has to learn the Hawks playbook, his teammates, transition to living in Atlanta, get acclimated to the NBA. (Unless he just come3out the gate quickly 😁)

I can actually see him spending time in the GL to get his NBA legs. 

I think Skal returns.

I think with the way this season is gonna playout (72 games, Covid protocols, etc), roster flexibility will be important. Guys that can play multiple positions. As it stands currently only Trae/Goodwin and Capela are locked into their PG/C positions.

Huerter - SG/PG

Reddish, Snell - SG/SF

Hunter, Gallo- SF/PF

Collins, Bruno, Gwu, Skal - PF/C

• Like 2
    • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Gallinari spent all of last season with the Thunder, where he averaged 18.7 points and 5.2 rebounds per game, all while shooting 40.5% from three. The 32-year-old was rumored to have several suitors entering free agency, though Atlanta—which has missed the playoffs three straight years—was one of the few teams with significant cap space. Let’s grade the deal.

usatsi_14870202-1.webp

Grade: B

This signing caused a little bit of a debate! I initially balked harder at the deal, but was talked down a cliff by my colleague Jeremy Woo. I think roughly $20 million a year is just a touch rich for Gallinari, though he’s proven very capable of being a valuable member of a good team. Gallo’s three-point shooting is elite, he can score in other ways, and he’s a willing defender. The Hawks are clearly very desperate to make the playoffs, and a Capela-Gallinari frontline sounds promising on paper—even if Capela will have to do the bulk of the rebounding. Another veteran presence should also help with all the younger players on the roster.

I still have some pause at Atlanta signing a 32-year-old when the heart of the roster still needs some work. Obviously the Hawks need quality players in order to make a jump up, but I would have preferred the fit of someone like Bogdan Bogdanovic—back on the market and briefly linked to Atlanta—who can develop on a more similar timeline to Trae Young.

If the goal is to simply make the playoffs once, Atlanta is closer to that goal now. While the year number for a talent like Gallo may be worth it for a player of his caliber, it may not make as much sense for a team that ultimately needs to set Young up for long-term success. 

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Is there any reason why the Rondo signing was announced first but not the Gallinari signing?

Waiting on BB and structuring salaries so they fit under the salary cap.

They also have to be signed in specific order.  For example, if you want to use the exception on Dunn, you have to be at the salary cap.

Edited by marco102
    • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
    Just now, mrhonline said:

Don't jump on me. I actually did some work today. Haha.

Lol...he did say he didn't know how to verify it though...so you did the leg work for him.

One thing we know for a fact from the Reddit info is that there was a season ticket holder zoom meeting today from Kirschner's tweet'

• Like 1