• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will Collins be traded??

Diesel

• Premium Member

After doing more research... regardless of how we get him, I think Buddy Hield would be a good pick up for us. 

SacTown is going the direction of fast passing big guards with Fox and Halliburton. 

Hield has asked to be traded.  

His game fits with Trae's in that he's a good defensive two that can shoot.  I have heard it say that Trae is the worst defensive player in the NBA.  I don't believe that but...  with Dunn now coming in for BU... to have a guy like Hield on the floor that can score...I think our depth is looking good. 

There's even a bright spot for having Okungwu.  As Okungwu gets better in the league, more time on the floor with Trae... gives us a better defensive front.  I don't know what our forward story will look like yet... but we have rotations. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Diesel said:

I think Buddy Hield would be a good pick up for us.

His game fits with Trae's in that he's a good defensive two that can shoot.

Where do you get your information from.  Hield got benched because of his bad defense

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

After doing more research... regardless of how we get him, I think Buddy Hield would be a good pick up for us. 

SacTown is going the direction of fast passing big guards with Fox and Halliburton. 

Hield has asked to be traded.  

His game fits with Trae's in that he's a good defensive two that can shoot.

It matters how we get him and he's not a 'good defensive two'

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, Peoriabird said:

Where do you get your information from.  Hield got benched because of his bad defense

Peoria.... do you even watch basketball?

Hield was benched for BOGO to Showcase Bogo with BJelica so that they can try to trade Bogo before he goes UFA. Bogo and Bjelica gave a good set of stretch forwards who could both be over 40% from three. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It matters how we get him and he's not a 'good defensive two'

Yeah... I'm sure that many of you want to ship Bruno off for him... or maybe a 2nd rounder...  

What I mean is that it may cost us either Huerta or Hunter or maybe a future first.  You're not going to get a 20/6 and 3 player who can shoot near 40%  for a 2nd rounder and a box of thin mints.  Stop being a homer. 

Secondly, his defense is not that bad. 

• Premium Member

Peoria.... do you even watch basketball?

Hield was benched for BOGO to Showcase Bogo with BJelica so that they can try to trade Bogo before he goes UFA. Bogo and Bjelica gave a good set of stretch forwards who could both be over 40% from three. 

So they want to trade Bogo and not Hield?  Did you miss you meds this morning?  You aren't making any sense

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So they want to trade Bogo and not Hield?  Did you miss you meds this morning?  You aren't making any sense

https://clutchpoints.com/kings-news-luke-walton-gives-his-reason-for-benching-buddy-hield/#:~:text=Sacramento Kings head coach Luke,matchup with the Chicago Bulls.

Walton says the lineup change is not a punishment or necessarily permanent. Said given the struggles a change was needed. Cited having Bogdanovic and Bjelica on the floor together more as something he wants to see.

BTW...

You believe that they gave Hield a fresh new contract only to bench him in the first year of it for a guy who is about to be a UFA??

Why would a team do that?

Will Collins be traded?  It’s a valid question.  Smart money in my opinion is that he will not be traded.  Unless there is a can’t miss deal that makes the Hawks better now and in the future.

The signing of Gallo tells me the brass likes the group in Atlanta right now.  A veteran shooter like Gallo is just what this team needed.  If anything I think the signing is a sign they are ready to make a serious push in the eastern conference. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Will Collins be traded?  It’s a valid question.  Smart money in my opinion is that he will not be traded.  Unless there is a can’t miss deal that makes the Hawks better now and in the future.

The signing of Gallo tells me the brass likes the group in Atlanta right now.  A veteran shooter like Gallo is just what this team needed.  If anything I think the signing is a sign they are ready to make a serious push in the eastern conference. 

I think what is interesting is to think about the depth chart.

We have players and mpg....  You bring in Gallo and Okungwu.. in a year where JC is supposed to get 36-40 mpg to improve his value and continue his development.   I think right now, you can't expect Okungwu to play a lot at the 5 but we moved Dedmon... so until he get his grown man strength, expect Okungwu to get pushed a bit. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think Bruno is going to be Capela's primary backup,  seeing the bulk of the minutes. Per Supes, he's really been good in the scrimmages/practices. I think that made easier to move Dedmon and not so much drafting Gwu.

Yes, I know we drafted Gwu, but he's 19, a rookie, hasn't played in a meaningful game in almost 11 months, it's now one month before the season starts, he has to learn the Hawks playbook, his teammates, transition to living in Atlanta, get acclimated to the NBA. (Unless he just come out the gate quickly 😁)

I can actually see him spending time in the GL to get his NBA legs. 

I think Skal returns.

I think with the way this season is gonna playout (72 games, Covid protocols, etc), roster flexibility will be important. Guys that can play multiple positions. As it stands currently only Trae/Goodwin and Capela are locked into their PG/C positions.

Huerter - SG/PG

Reddish, Snell - SG/SF

Hunter, Gallo- SF/PF

Collins, Bruno, Gwu, Skal - PF/C

I think what is interesting is to think about the depth chart.

We have players and mpg....  You bring in Gallo and Okungwu.. in a year where JC is supposed to get 36-40 mpg to improve his value and continue his development.   I think right now, you can't expect Okungwu to play a lot at the 5 but we moved Dedmon... so until he get his grown man strength, expect Okungwu to get pushed a bit. 

Above is what I wrote in another thread regarding Okongwu and his playing time.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Above is what I wrote in another thread regarding Okongwu and his playing time.

Usually, you would start a 5 who played overpower basketball in HS and 1yr College at the PF to get him started and mix in some 5 play.  And especially Okongwu because he has better footspeed and agility than either Gallo or JC.  BUT...We can spare the minutes at the 4 right now.   So.... Okongwu will platoon at the 5.  Often he's compared to Bam.  Well, Bam is 10 lbs heavier and started off his rookie year getting about 20 mpg. 

It's evident that our plan is to be competitive now.  Okungwu is heavier than Capela but I doubt that he has the grown man strength that Clint brings.   I can't speak on Bruno because all last season he was kinda ~~ for me.  Not that he sucked sucked sucked... but he sucked.  He and Dedmon was tragedy.   

So Idk what the depth chart will look like.  I don't even know if trades are done.   But i do believe that Okungwu will get his 20 mpg because we need his defensive play.   It can work good with a 20/20/8 rotation of our centers.   It will keep them all fresh for the playoffs.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Usually, you would start a 5 who played overpower basketball in HS and 1yr College at the PF to get him started and mix in some 5 play.  And especially Okongwu because he has better footspeed and agility than either Gallo or JC.  BUT...We can spare the minutes at the 4 right now.   So.... Okongwu will platoon at the 5.  Often he's compared to Bam.  Well, Bam is 10 lbs heavier and started off his rookie year getting about 20 mpg. 

It's evident that our plan is to be competitive now.  Okungwu is heavier than Capela but I doubt that he has the grown man strength that Clint brings.   I can't speak on Bruno because all last season he was kinda ~~ for me.  Not that he sucked sucked sucked... but he sucked.  He and Dedmon was tragedy.   

So Idk what the depth chart will look like.  I don't even know if trades are done.   But i do believe that Okungwu will get his 20 mpg because we need his defensive play.   It can work good with a 20/20/8 rotation of our centers.   It will keep them all fresh for the playoffs.

I'm just looking at it realistically from a time crunch perspective and the limited time in which Okungwu has to get comfortable in the NBA.  If he comes out the gate swinging, all the better for us.  I'm just tempering my expectations regarding since no Summer League and quick start to the season.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

We're only trading Collins if we're getting a top 15 player back in the deal. Otherwise, extend him next offseason to take advantage of his low caphold next summer.

Ok... I was intrigued by your statement.  I'll use winshares:

1. James Harden  HOU 13.1
2. Damian Lillard  POR 11.6
3. Giannis Antetokounmpo  MIL 11.1
4. Anthony Davis  LAL 11.1
5. Rudy Gobert  UTA 10.7
6. Nikola Jokić  DEN 9.8
7. LeBron James  LAL 9.8
8. Jimmy Butler  MIA 9.0
9. Chris Paul  OKC 8.9
10. Luka Dončić  DAL 8.8
11. Kawhi Leonard  LAC 8.7
12. Hassan Whiteside  POR 8.5
13. Bam Adebayo  MIA 8.5
14. Jarrett Allen  BRK 8.2
15. Khris Middleton  MIL 7.9

These are the top 15 players by winshares.  Most of them I don't see us going after because they aren't going anywhere.   Even Middleton...  But 16-20??  Sabonis, DeRozan, and Valanciunas are all capable of being targets but only DeRozan has a likelihood to it (relatively). 

16. Domantas Sabonis  IND 7.5
17. Devin Booker  PHO 7.5
18. Kyle Lowry  TOR 7.5
19. DeMar DeRozan  SAS 7.3
20. Jonas Valančiūnas  MEM 7.0

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm just looking at it realistically from a time crunch perspective and the limited time in which Okungwu has to get comfortable in the NBA.  If he comes out the gate swinging, all the better for us.  I'm just tempering my expectations regarding since no Summer League and quick start to the season.

Yep.  This will be a different season because of the lack of SL and really preseason.   BUT... I suspect that Okungwu will get time. Hell, he should be over Trae's house right now working on PNR defense. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

These are the top 15 players by winshares.  Most of them I don't see us going after because they aren't going anywhere.   Even Middleton...  But 16-20??  Sabonis, DeRozan, and Valanciunas are all capable of being targets but only DeRozan has a likelihood to it (relatively). 

Why would we trade Collins for an expiring Derozan, then will need a backup PF. 

Sabonis and Val are centers.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Why would we trade Collins for an expiring Derozan, then will need a backup PF. 

Sabonis and Val are centers.

That's not what I was saying.  
The context is that we would only trade JC for a top 15 player.    Well by winshares the only top 20 player that could be moved or that anybody would be willing to trade to us is Derozan.  That's not me saying we should go after him.  We got Snell!