• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks DID SIGN BB (Bogdan Bogdanović) 4 years $72 million. (UPDATE)

marco102

• Premium Member
Just now, Atlantaholic said:

I would think the more time goes by the less likely they are to match. I mean, if you want to match you just match right away right? What do you get for waiting, outside of tying up the Hawks cap room for 48 hours. 

That's exactly what teams in the past have done to punish the team that signed their guy because it takes up you cap space while you wait. And while you wait more free agents are signed.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Atlantaholic said:

I would think the more time goes by the less likely they are to match. I mean, if you want to match you just match right away right? What do you get for waiting, outside of tying up the Hawks cap room for 48 hours. 

You tie up the other teams capspace which at times can cause the other team to miss out on other free agents. Not really the case with the Hawks, but that's the reason.

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

Yeah, I finally got my point accross in my post to AHF.  I believe that BB has a better offensive skillset than Buddy and that'll fit what the Hawks need much better.   They need a player with better handles that can move Trae off ball a little and still be able to shoot at a decent clip.  I don't see Trae ever being off ball with Heild. 

When I say scorer it's my bad representation of someone being able to ball handle, playmake, draw fouls, and shoot decently.  A shooter to me is someone who shoots really effieciently and although they may score, can't do the other things at a high clip. 

Bogi is a PDS guy. If you notice TS big signings are all PDS guys. 

Gallo and Bogi. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Sothron said:

That's exactly what teams in the past have done to punish the team that signed their guy because it takes up you cap space while you wait. And while you wait more free agents are signed.

I get that, but why do the Kings care about tying up our capspace? Are we even competing for the same free agents right now?

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You tie up the other teams capspace which at times can cause the other team to miss out on other free agents. Not really the case with the Hawks, but that's the reason.

A lot of times, those teams are working on the what if's and why's? The Hawks didn't instantly decline when THJ signed that deal with the Knicks. It went to the last day. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, marco102 said:

BB is a better defensive player than Hield.  He's a better SCORER, rebounder, and playmaker AND he'll cost about $6 million dollars less.

True story on the defensive aspect and im pretty sure diesel is the only one who thinks Buddy is a better defensive player of anyone i have ever seen discuss these 2.   Buddy people will usually atleast give or say is avg on defense where as buddy even people from the kings talk about how bad defensively and thats their on player who most usually try to protect lol.

• Like 1

If Bogdan doesn't get matched, I do think you start him instead of Gallo.

Young/Bogdanovic/Reddish/Collins/Capela

Gallo is your 6th man and splits minutes between the 3 and 4. Collins leaves early and headlines the bench lineup. 

Not totally sure on how you'd divide the minutes.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

If Bogdan doesn't get matched, I do think you start him instead of Gallo.

Young/Bogdanovic/Reddish/Collins/Capela

Gallo is your 6th man and splits minutes between the 3 and 4. Collins leaves early and headlines the bench lineup. 

Not totally sure on how you'd divide the minutes.

It's impossible to predict the lineup before the pre-season. This might be the first time as a Hawk fan where I wouldn't know who would start. There is a chance Kevin could beat out Bogi for a spot. 

6 minutes ago, Wurider05 said:

So what's the plan if the Kings match?

Trade for Redick. 

• Like 2

I’d have to agree with @marco102 we seem to have the same thought process of what a scorer is compared to a really good shooter.

Bogi can handle the ball better than Buddy therefore he’s a better 3 level scorer with getting to the basket, mid range, and getting off 3s. Buddy is a way better exceptional shooter and his great shooting allows him to get 20 pts per game.

collins has the ability to drop 20 plus pts per game as well but I wouldn’t consider collins a “scorer” because his game depends on his teammates getting him the ball when he’s open and when he’s open he’s very efficient no matter at the goal or not.

That’s not to say collins or Buddy won’t ever score if they had the ball in their hands at all times like a primary ball handler cause of course they can score but their intangibles within their skills is what allows them to be 20 pt scorers...Buddy can get his shot off very well. He doesn’t have to blow by you and collins is the best off ball moving big man in the nba or one of the best then he’s efficient once he sees an opening.

Perimeter scorers like @marco102 stated can score at all three levels because they can dribble. They can penetrate the lane, dance on the back court, throw hesitations etc.

Buddy and collins score one way but extremely well. That’s how I see it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Buddy Hield isn't Klay Thompson. However, I believe again, team construction matters.  Would Klay be such a great shooter/scorer without the team he's on?  To me, a scorer can go to any team without a system and get buckets  I think it'll be easier to shut Klay down if he's the court with four non shooters and no ball handlers.  You can put Trae Young on that same team and he'll figure out a way to score.  I feel Trae Young is a better scorer even though Klay is a better shooter,  for now. 

BTW, I'm not saying great shooters can't be great scorers.  Prime examples KD and Steph.  They are both. LBJ is a great scorer to me and not a great shooter.

I might want to be clearer.  Buddy's skillset would not have the same impact as BB's on the Hawks team. I feel like the overall game of BB will be much more valuable on the Hawks.  I also think BB will be a better scorer on the Hawks than Heild. 

I agree with your definitions here 100%, but it does get somewhat muddy.  Klay is ELITE at moving off ball, getting open, and releasing his shot lightning fast.  Any system where he's not standing in the corner waiting for a catch and shoot he'll probably be a great scorer (in addition to shooter).  With that said, I'm nitpicking your example but still agree with you on there being a distinction.  I haven't watched Hield enough to really give an opinion on him...

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Well the good thing is we signed who we wanted initially and there isn't anyone left worth the $18 mill or even $10 mil for that matter.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Teams that EYE 👓 SPY thinking about a bid-for-Buddy bailout of the Kangz.

* CAVZ -- "Ab-so-lute-ly, we're excited about rolling Sexton and Garland out there again!", Cleveland's brass says, with a wink and a nod. What goes out the door with either of those guys? Junior Nance, for sure. Then there's the growing logjam behind Ike Okoro, as the Cavs would love to get KPJ's tribulations off Page A1 of the Plain Dealer. Windler? Cedi? Lil' D-Wade? Have at it. Just don't offer K-Love's extended deal, Cleveland, unless you particularly enjoy the sound of a dialtone.

* INDEE - Brogdon! Sabonis! Turner! Warren! Goga! The Holidays! Who needs Nytol when you've got that on the floor? Dipo might initiate the calls himself: "Can I come play with you, De'Aaron?" The Pacers are under the watch of a new Nate at Nite, and the offensively-oriented Mr. Bjorkgren might like to reshape the team (last in threes shot, 29th in threes made) around a scorer who can hit his triples, if not much more. Only stumbling block if you throw in McBuckets: is Indy willing to squander 2021's entire cap-space yield for Hield?

* NUGGZ - They didn't call the song, "I'm Just Wild About Gary," for a reason. The Eastern clubs are most likely to want to finagle a way to block the Hawks from building a solid, two-deep roster, but Denver is the only team out West that might seem intrigued for no other reason than to supercharge the offense by dealing away Harris and maybe a protected 1st or two. Add JaMychal or Sap to the top line with minutes-hogger Will Barton and the Murray-Jokic dynamo, then see which of Buddy or MPJ can guard a chair better to fill out the last spot.

~lw3

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wurider05 said:

So what's the plan if the Kings match?

I don't think we would NEED to do anything.  I mean, BB is only a slight upgrade on Kevin.  BB is better, but nothing that seems to justify the current difference in cost.  One day Kevin will probably be finding himself making similar money.

I think the reasons for doing the BB deal are as follows:

1) The Lakers and Bucks wanted him (among others), so it looks good to get him

2) Shows Trae we want to win

3) Build depth

4) Building up assets.  Future BIG trade possible.