• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

There's a statement for us to discuss......

Diesel

• Premium Member

On Yesterday, Our GM  Travis Schlenk said:

"We have a lot of guys on our roster that other teams value. So we always try to keep ourselves in position. If there is a star player that becomes available, we're in a position to try to go acquire those

The whole quote said something about acquiring those players aggressively. 

My take:

Schlenk has his eye on all the belly aching going on... and he has a list of wants...prioritized.   Here's what I think is possible:

1.  Hawks trade for James Harden?
  2. Hawks trade for Giannis?
  3. Hawks trade for KAT?
  4. Hawks trade for Westbrook?
  5. Hawks trade for one of the Philadelphia Big 2?

Some will say:  Hawks trade for Paul George.  I think that would be a lateral move honestly.

My guess is also this:  John Collins, Cap, and Huerter, Hunter, or Cam is trade capital is something good comes our way. 

As of right now.. the only untradables on the Hawks are Trae and Bangdanovic.

13 minutes ago, Diesel said:

On Yesterday, Our GM  Travis Schlenk said:

The whole quote said something about acquiring those players aggressively. 

My take:

Schlenk has his eye on all the belly aching going on... and he has a list of wants...prioritized.   Here's what I think is possible:

1.  Hawks trade for James Harden?
  2. Hawks trade for Giannis?
  3. Hawks trade for KAT?
  4. Hawks trade for Westbrook?
  5. Hawks trade for one of the Philadelphia Big 2?

Some will say:  Hawks trade for Paul George.  I think that would be a lateral move honestly.

My guess is also this:  John Collins, Cap, and Huerter, Hunter, or Cam is trade capital is something good comes our way. 

As of right now.. the only untradables on the Hawks are Trae and Bangdanovic.

Agree with the premise as Travis clearly leaves open the possibility of using the high quality, big contract players as trade collateral for a star player. That's what any team HAS to do to acquire a star player.  

However, your list of potential players is laughable at best outside of Giannis and maybe Embiid.  I wouldn't trade multiple players and picks for the rest of that list.  And no, I'm not saying Huerter is better than Harden.  But I'm not a believer that Harden actually makes a TEAM better.  So no thanks.  Same with Westbrook.  

The list of players I'd trade for using multiple players and picks (note, the majority of these guys are NOT actually available from their current team):

Giannis (most available via snt, imo)

LeBron (not available)

Kawhi (probably not available)

Dame (not available)

Embiid (might be available)

Zion (not available)

End list.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Agree with the premise as Travis clearly leaves open the possibility of using the high quality, big contract players as trade collateral for a star player. That's what any team HAS to do to acquire a star player.  

However, your list of potential players is laughable at best outside of Giannis and maybe Embiid.  I wouldn't trade multiple players and picks for the rest of that list.  And no, I'm not saying Huerter is better than Harden.  But I'm not a believer that Harden actually makes a TEAM better.  So no thanks.  Same with Westbrook.  

The list of players I'd trade for using multiple players and picks (note, the majority of these guys are NOT actually available from their current team):

Giannis (most available via snt, imo)

LeBron (not available)

Kawhi (probably not available)

Dame (not available)

Embiid (might be available)

Zion (not available)

End list.  

Here's the problem.   We look at players having problems and we start to believe that the player isn't good.   This statement bolded might be true about Ben Simmons.. but Not about Harden.

Since 2012  Houston has never had less than 44 wins.    In fact, they have been to the Wester Finals twice. Once with Kevin McHale... who was a coach that won 40% of his games until they picked up Harden.    The second time with D'Antoni who has never coached a team to the championship.   In both cases, the only star that he had by his side was CP3 the second time.   They almost beat the historic GS team with just him, CP3, and some role players.   Not to mention that he has not scored below 25.9 ppg since being a rocket.   If you take Harden away from the Rockets, they will be in the lottery. 

• Premium Member

Just thinking about a Big Three in Atlanta.  I'm showing Travis Schlenk Aggression....

If we were going for a really big three... this is how it could be done:

later in the season:   Gallo, Snell, and Hunter to Houston for  James Harden. 

When we can... sign Collins to 5 year 130 Million dollar extension. 

In the offseason:

Collins, Huerter, Rondo, & future first rounders to Milwaukee for Giannis (SNT)

Our squad would look like:

Trae

Harden

Cam

Giannis 

Cap

Schlenk's comments shouldn't really surprise anyone - everyone just wants to have a hot take about this, I guess.

I see all the overreaction of people saying "Giannis will be a Hawk next year, write it down" or whatever, and that ain't it either.

This is simply what it looks like to have a good GM a few years in.  TS has done a great job managing the rebuild.  We've gone from paying 30+ million for people to not play for us every year, to turning that into a wealth of quality assets both young and experienced.

You bet you ass Schlenk wouldn't miss an opportunity to put us in the market for someone like Giannis.  I'm sure he's got a pulse on it right now. 

It also doesn't mean he doesn't value what we have right now. We just finally have a team full of talent that is both proven and desirable, and at fair market value.  And Schlenk won't be too precious about what we have, but also won't give in to the allure of overpaying for a marquee name.

It puts us in a position to be respected and have good negotiations with the rest of the league when trade talk happens.  It doesn't guarantee anything about potential future roster moves, though.  It's just good management.  We're blessed to finally have it, and I think we all see the immediate change in the respect our Hawks are starting to command around the league right now.  Obviously we have a lot of work to do - but the message has been sent over the last week.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I do agree.   This year is pivotal to see who fits and sticks.. But I don't rule out us taking advantage of situations.   First and Foremost for the whole league is Giannis so that's expected.   But the Harden/Westbrook Breakup.   And either of Simmons or Embiid if things don't work out in Philly.   Paul George.  Kyrie Irving.  IN FA next year... Kawhi Leonard.   The list goes on and on and it's about possibility.  I'm just glad that we have pieces to make it possible. 

• Like 1