• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Training Camp and Preseason 2020.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, bleachkit said:

It's nice to have guys that are intelligent and thoughtful in their responses. Not just "naw bra."

The media really didn't capitalize on Huerter's insight which is a travesty. I guess there is no interest in interviewing Huerter anymore since only 3 journalist showed up.  I'm rooting for the guy also! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Much better interview by LP!  I like what he was saying today especially about the defense.

One thing I didn't really think of until LP alluded to it, was Rondo isn't the only player we added that was in the Finals this year. Solomon Hill was too. And I think his perspective of being on an underdog team that was tough and scrappy but lost, is just as valuable as Rondo being on the team that won. By all accounts, Rondo was a key piece of both his championship teams, but they were expected to win before the season even started because of the Hall of Famers on the roster.
The Heat were not supposed to do what they did to Milwaukee, to Boston. The grit and heart in their locker room was on another level. 
Solomon Hill is an underrated pick up from that perspective because he can double down on the things Rondo says, while also offering a different angle. A less glamorous, more ugly truth side to the journey of success.

Such a smart move to add guys from BOTH teams in the Finals.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

One thing I didn't really think of until LP alluded to it, was Rondo isn't the only player we added that was in the Finals this year. Solomon Hill was too. And I think his perspective of being on an underdog team that was tough and scrappy but lost, is just as valuable as Rondo being on the team that won. By all accounts, Rondo was a key piece of both his championship teams, but they were expected to win before the season even started because of the Hall of Famers on the roster.
The Heat were not supposed to do what they did to Milwaukee, to Boston. The grit and heart in their locker room was on another level. 
Solomon Hill is an underrated pick up from that perspective because he can double down on the things Rondo says, while also offering a different angle. A less glamorous, more ugly truth side to the journey of success.

Such a smart move to add guys from BOTH teams in the Finals.

If LP can somehow teach team defense and actually have a scheme that can work to some degree regardless of the personnel like Miami does, then I'll put up with his propensity to have dumb line ups in at critical junctures in games.  I've watched some of those 2K simulated games involving the Hawks and even the creator of those games basically mocked LP by putting in some of the most puzzling line ups imaginable.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

If LP can somehow teach team defense and actually have a scheme that can work to some degree regardless of the personnel like Miami does, then I'll put up with his propensity to have dumb line ups in at critical junctures in games.  I've watched some of those 2K simulated games involving the Hawks and even the creator of those games basically mocked LP by putting in some of the most puzzling line ups imaginable.

Well we had zero bench last year, this year we have depth. So mixing and matching will be more logical this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

If LP can somehow teach team defense and actually have a scheme that can work to some degree regardless of the personnel like Miami does, then I'll put up with his propensity to have dumb line ups in at critical junctures in games.  I've watched some of those 2K simulated games involving the Hawks and even the creator of those games basically mocked LP by putting in some of the most puzzling line ups imaginable.

You go so hard on LP when it was clear his hands were tied with the roster we had last year. He literally was one of the most creative coaches in year 1 and had a Bud like talent if not more potential. LP knew coaching last year's team was going to be extremely hard and said as much on numerous occasions. 

You really don't want to give him the benefit of doubt and it's strange considering what he showed in year 1. It's one thing if he was Woody. Where he was ass year 1. Less ass in year 2, getting better, below average in year 3 and ultimately topping off at solid but more of a top assistant than a HC overall. 

LP looked like one of the best young talents in year 1, was the 2nd worst coach in the NBA last year behind Fizdale who was fired instantly. He's going to year 3, considering his creativity and roster quality, it wouldn't surprise me if he had a coach of the year type of season. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

You go so hard on LP when it was clear his hands were tied with the roster we had last year. He literally was one of the most creative coaches in year 1 and had a Bud like talent if not more potential. LP knew coaching last year's team was going to be extremely hard and said as much on numerous occasions. 

You really don't want to give him the benefit of doubt and it's strange considering what he showed in year 1. It's one thing if he was Woody. Where he was ass year 1. Less ass in year 2, getting better, below average in year 3 and ultimately topping off at solid but more of a top assistant than a HC overall. 

LP looked like one of the best young talents in year 1, was the 2nd worst coach in the NBA last year behind Fizdale who was fired instantly. He's going to year 3, considering his creativity and roster quality, it wouldn't surprise me if he had a coach of the year type of season. 

I'm curious...Who told him to be a bad coach last year?

6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm curious...Who told him to be a bad coach last? 

His roster construction.

If I give you sticks and mud and tell you to build a $1,000,000 mansion, then you can't really do much.  But if I give all the right materials to build a $1,000,000 mansion, then you have a good starting point. You still may be crappy at building mansions, but in the latter, you at least have a fighting chance.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I didn't really think this needed to be explained, but alas... here we are.

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, marco102 said:

His roster construction.

If I give you sticks and mud and tell you to build a $1,000,000 mansion, then you can't really do much.  But if I give all the right materials to build a $1,000,000 mansion, then you have a good starting point. You still may be crappy at building mansions, but in the latter, you at least have a fighting chance.

You can be viewed as a good coach despite what you are given to work with... His results in '18 were much better than '19 but his approach to coaching was much better

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

You can be viewed as a good coach despite what you are given to work with... His results in '18 were much better than '19 but his approach to coaching was much better

No qualms from me there, but you seem to think that his 19 results outweigh his good coaching in 18.  This year is the tell tell year.  If he's terrible, he's most likely gone and everyone is going to agree with you.  

I'm just saying let's see what he does with a good roster before we say, his rotations will remain horrible, he'll never be able to coach a good defense,  he can't develop talent, he's not very tactical.  You can't do all those things if your roster isn't constructed properly, although, I'll give him the nod on developing talent.  He has a good roster and this year is truly judgment time.  LP will sink or swim. 

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, marco102 said:

No qualms from me there, but you seem to think that his 19 results outweigh his good coaching in 18.  This year is the tell tell year.  If he's terrible, he's most likely gone. 

It just seems as though he had this change in philosophy after the 2nd or 3rd game of the season last year. For example in those games and in '18 he view John as a power forward. After that he started playing john much more at center. This new view of John has seemed to spill over into this season if the construction of this years roster is an indicator. Someone even indicated that Gallo might see minutes at center which no other coach has done in Gallo's career. My other concern is that the bar is low for him just like it is for snicker and was for Quinn. If he just gets to the playoffs, he gets an extention whether it was more Trae than him.

• Moderators

That change you saw was after the 5th game when Collins was suspended.  In the meantime, all our centers proved themselves to be garbage and the team committed to throwing minutes at our core.  And that lineup of youngsters was the best of any we put on the floor.  

Gallo will not see minutes at center this season.  

Given that we drafted a center and traded for Capela, I’m not seeing a problem with Collins being viewed primarily as a center from a roster construction standpoint.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Popovich missed the playoffs with 2 former allstars on his team. The rest of that team was too young.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

He had a much better personnel grouping for the type of offense he was implementing. He hasn't had the defensive personnel till now. 

We literally got rid of players who were productive for players who were complete negatives. We spammed the PnR in year 1, teams adjusted but our personnel grouping simply couldn't. You gotta hit shots and be healthy. Something we didn't manage to do outside of Trae. 

Hunter and Reddish was a massive downgrade in the 1st half from Bazemore and Prince. Parker was a downgrade from Ersan Ilyasova and the previous year Vince. Jones was an insane downgrade from the previous year Dedmon and Len wasn't suited for the starting role against legit centers.

Huerter ultimately should have been easy to see. He had 0 WAR since starting with Trae in year 1 and before had a 1.6 WAR which was great. Last year, 0 WAR again. He can't play with Trae due to his defense and Trae's defense and offensively, he isn't an overwhelmingly positive either to offset it. Bogi was the smartest thing Atlanta could do honestly. 

All you gotta do is look at the WAR. It will tell you exactly why Atlanta was so bad and LP hands were tied. He barely had any productive players and the productive ones like Len and Bembry couldn't start or play a lot of minutes due to their limitations. TS tanked the season from a GM stance. No different than Kerr season being tanked with no Steph. Even with Draymond, it's not close to enough.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Given that we drafted a center and traded for Capela, I’m not seeing a problem with Collins being viewed primarily as a center from a roster construction standpoint.

Collins will play center this year and probably will be pared with Gallo a significant amount.  There will be some excuse made not to play Bruno and Okungwu will get the Bruno treatment.