• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Next person who calls De'Andre Hunter a PF gets my foot in their back side.

thecampster

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Hunter does not offer his team any advantages when he plays the 4.  Don't know what the obsession is here for him to play the 4

Uhm... You miss the part where I said " And even if Hunter can guard the 4, he makes so much more sense at the 3 for us. "  and the other part where I said.. "Small Ball may be dying.". 

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Hunter does not offer his team any advantages when he plays the 4.  Don't know what the obsession is here for him to play the 4

Depends on the matchup. Hunter at the 4 and Collins at the 5...could be a ton to deal with for the opponent. It just depends on who it is. Hunter is very strong to be young plus he has very long arms.

it wouldn’t shock me if he could hold his own vs some 4s out there.

take Tatum for example who plays a lot of 4 for BOS seven though he’s really a natural 3. Though Tatum is better than hunter I don’t believe Tatum would over power Hunter if we put hunter against him.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, Diesel said:

Uhm... You miss the part where I said " And even if Hunter can guard the 4, he makes so much more sense at the 3 for us. "  and the other part where I said.. "Small Ball may be dying.". 

Did I say you were obsessed...Geez I was agreeing with you

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, JTB said:

Depends on the matchup. Hunter at the 4 and Collins at the 5...could be a ton to deal with for the opponent. It just depends on who it is. Hunter is very strong to be young plus he has very long arms.

take Tatum for example who plays a lot of 4 for BOS seven though he’s really a natural 3. Though Tatum is better than hunter I don’t believe Tatum would over power Hunter if we put hunter against him.

Now I see where LP gets his advise from.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, JTB said:

Fortunately now.. we have Gallo who can man the 4 when Collins moves over to the 5 to give us a real offensive threat... or defensively... maybe later in the season we will have Cap and OO out there together. 

6 hours ago, bleachkit said:

He's the exact same as size as Cam. Yet people here put Cam at the 2, and Hunter at the 4. To me they are both ideal 3's in terms of size.

Cam is an inch taller...Hunter has inch longer wingspan..

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, terrell said:

Cam is an inch taller...Hunter has inch longer wingspan..

9 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1201968971735609344 so our power forward is shorter than our shooting guard? Um ok. Who is bigger in the video? They are basically the same size.

We’ve been thru this 100 times, there’s even a thread (or 2): Cam IS 1 inch taller 😑

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, hazer said:

We’ve been thru this 100 times, there’s even a thread (or 2): Cam IS 1 inch taller 😑

I don't care about the stupid inch, but why is our shooting guard taller than our power forward? If anything they are both small forwards. In that case go ahead and put Cam at power forward.

4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I don't care about the stupid inch, but why is our shooting guard taller than our power forward? If anything they are both small forwards. In that case go ahead and put Cam at power forward.

Might have something to do with stength.  If a team goes small, I'd rather have Hunter guard their PF because he's stronger than Cam and he should be able to stay in front of them.  They are both ideal sizes for threes, but again, depending on matchups, you match up your best defenders  Cam has the footspeed to guard 1-3.  I think DeAndre can guard 2 -4 pretty well due to his foot speed and strength.  Once cam gets his grown man strength, He'll be able to guard 1 -4 depending on the matchup.

This isn't saying this is their full time positions, but based on matchups what the Hawks may do.

Edited by marco102

• Premium Member
Just now, marco102 said:

Might have something to do with stength.  If a team goes small, I'd rather have Hunter guard their PF because one, he's stronger than Cam and he should be able to stay in front of them.  They are both ideal sizes for threes, but again, depending on matchups, you match up your best defenders  Cam has the footspeed to guard 1-3.  I think DeAndre can guard 2 -4 pretty well due to his foot speed and strength.  Once cam gets his grown man strength, He'll be able to guard 1 -4 depending on the matchup.

This isn't saying this is their full time positions, but based on matchups what the Hawks may do.

Why do we have to match what another team does as oppose the other way around?  Definitely LP logic!  If a team goes small then have john punish them in the paint.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Why do we have to match what another team does as oppose the other way around?  Definitely LP logic!  If a team goes small then have john punish them in the paint.

Let me put it in a way you can understand.  Dan Quinn never attempted to change his defensive philosphy, while teams were throwing and running all over the Falcons.  Dont' you think it would have been a good idea for him to change things up, if it wasn't working. 

I was saying matchup.  If we are doing fine with our regular matchup, then of course, make them adjsut to us, but if a Boston is going off for 40 point quarters because we have Gallinari guarding Tatum, then of course you should put Hunter, Cam, or Dunn on him to slow him down. 

Why do you act like there's no nuance to any of these statements?

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, marco102 said:

Let me put it in a way you can understand.  Dan Quinn never attempted to change his defensive philosphy, while teams were throwing and running all over the Falcons.  Dont' you think it would have been a good idea for him to change things up, if it wasn't working. 

I was saying matchup.  If we are doing fine with our regular matchup, then of course, make them adjsut to us, but if a Boston is going off for 40 point quarters because we have Gallinari guarding Tatum, then of course you should put Hunter, Cam, or Dunn on him to slow him down. 

Why do you act like there's no nuance to any of these statements?

Because he has used these tactics and still had the worst defense in the league!  At some point we will have to make other teams adjust to what we are doing which means instead of pushing that default tendency to go small when other team do it, maybe they should try what the Championship Lakers did which is go big and destroy teams on the board and down low.

• Like 1

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Because he has used these tactics and still had the worst defense in the league!  At some point we will have to make other teams adjust to what we are doing which means instead of pushing that default tendency to go small when other team do it, maybe the should try what the Championship Lakers did which is go big and destroy teams on the board and down low.

Yeah, when Lebron and AD walk through those doubel doors we should use that strategy, until then you put the best defenders you have on the court.  I'll be glad when the Hawks improve on defense so you can go to complaining about the suits LP wears on the sideline are destracting you from "all this winning".

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Yeah, when Lebron and AD walk through those doubel doors we should use that strategy, until then you put the best defenders you have on the court.  I'll be glad when the Hawks improve on defense so you can go to complaining about the suits LP wears on the sideline are destracting you from "all this winning".

Its not about AD or Lebron because other team value rebounding and inside play also and were successful.  The coach and certain fans of team gets stuck on trying to win from the outside and it just hasn't worked but yet the same approach and mentality is applied year after year.  When that faulty plan doesn't work, the personnel is blamed.  Falcon fans blamed the personnel on defense for giving up record numbers of point while serving as apologist for Dan Quinn and his broken system.  As soon as another approach was taken, the same personnel can suddenly play defense.  Interesting

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Its not about AD or Lebron because other team value rebounding and inside play also and were successful.  The coach and certain fans of team gets stuck on trying to win from the outside and it just hasn't worked but yet the same approach and mentality is applied year after year.  When that faulty plan doesn't work, the personnel is blamed.  Falcon fans blamed the personnel on defense for giving up record numbers of point while serving as apologist for Dan Quinn and his broken system.  As soon as another approach was taken, the same personnel can suddenly play defense.  Interesting

So the Lakers would have won the Championship without AD and Lebron? You're giving a bad analogy whenever you say we should "be" like the Lakers.  They literally have one of the greatest players of all time and a top five two way NBA player.  THAT matters. 

What you're saying is, the Hawks should NEVER run out a line of Capella, Hunter, Reddish, Kris Dunn and Rondo.  Because you think that rebounding is the end all be all, but the on ball defense of than lineup can potential shut down a team.  Also, Capella is one of the best rebounders in the league and Hunter improved his rebounding in the second half. 

The Hawks have above average rebounders at the five and four which they didn't have last year.  Trae young is an above average rebounder for a point guard.  Our two's and three's this year should also see an increase in rebounding due to teams focusing on boxing out JC and Capela.  

I LITERALLY acknowledged, that you  are correct and the Hawks can try to make a team adjust to them. However, it seems you aren't willing to say there's a scenario where Hunter will be at the four and defend sucessfully.

Edited by marco102

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Yes

No. Because the lineup has rebounding.

Also, address this. 

"I LITERALLY acknowledged, that you  are correct and the Hawks can try to make a team adjust to them. However, it seems you aren't willing to say there's a scenario where Hunter will be at the four and defend sucessfully."

So is that what you're saying? Hunter will never be able to defend Jason Tatum or Pascal Siakim?

Edited by marco102